Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's the Weather Like where you are ?

Thunder and sustained downpours? On July 18? In San Diego? The attendees of the Gay Pride Parade are no doubt disappointed with this development. No parade today, I'm sure. Torrential rains right now as I write. I need to hit SEND before I lose power.

Yea,  I'm in the OC and it is raining a lot harder than I expected.   What gets me is that the park I go to,  to hike 4 times a week was having a special biking event on Sunday.   Well the last time this was scheduled back in May it had to be canceled due to rain (the park is closed to all for at least 24 hours after a rain to protect the trails).    That May rain was rare enough,  but now the event will be canceled again due to a July storm in So Cal.      

Rain rain rain

Every day for nearly the past 8 weeks. Thunderstorms at 4:30-5:30 PM every day for the first month;   an additional downpour each day around 12:00 PM for the past month. These last anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour, then our beautiful sun reappears. Next week's forecast looks the same..

Lakeland, Florida

i1CZA23.jpg

How good are you at building things?  :P

ark.jpg

Yea,  I'm in the OC and it is raining a lot harder than I expected.   What gets me is that the park I go to,  to hike 4 times a week was having a special biking event on Sunday.   Well the last time this was scheduled back in May it had to be canceled due to rain (the park is closed to all for at least 24 hours after a rain to protect the trails).    That May rain was rare enough,  but now the event will be canceled again due to a July storm in So Cal.      

OC = Orange County ??

Well, after a few weeks of "early spring" type weather, with temperatures in the "good sleeping" range at night, THIS weekend is when summer decides to show up.  And with a vengence.

The temperature and humidity level are having a race to the top of the scale!

I'm between some kind of rock and hard place.....

Coumadin would make air conditioned air seem too cold,  but sadly, even though the medicine makes the cold seem much colder, it doesn't make the warm seem any cooler.  And besides, that A/C unit IS kinda noisy, and before any of you suggest getting a newer, quieter one, it's the one that came with the house i'm renting,  and it's really a matter of having the strength(which was diminished after my "mini-strokes") to put it in the window.  Now, a newer one might be nice, and if any of you WERE going to suggest one,  Just PM me with your request for the address to which you can all mail your checks!  :)

Sepiatone

Thunder and sustained downpours? On July 18? In San Diego? The attendees of the Gay Pride Parade are no doubt disappointed with this development. No parade today, I'm sure. Torrential rains right now as I write. I need to hit SEND before I lose power.

I wasn't exaggerating. The two consecutive days of rain in July (18-19) was more than ALL San Diego July days in the last 100 years PUT TOGETHER.  Talk about a rare occurrence.

We finally had some much needed rain this weekend.  We only got about .30" but it's better than nothing.  It's supposed to rain more and temps are only expected to get up to the mid-60s.  However, this cooler and wet weather will only be in the Pacific Northwest for a fleeting moment, because next week we're supposed to be back up in the 90s again.  ::sigh::

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Today, here in Southeasten Michigan, the temps are a VERY unseasonable mid to low 40's, and it rained like hell Wednesday night.  In nearby Plymouth and Canton MI, there was a tornado touchdown also on Wed.night  Odd for winter in these parts, as there's usually a good coating of SNOW by this time of year.

I also undestand they had SEVERAL tornadoes down south as well.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

11l2zjc.png

Today, it snowed in Portland.  It has only snowed an inch or two, but the temps are barely above freezing and we're supposed to expect freezing rain this afternoon and evening.

I realize that in the Midwest and Northeast, this snow is nothing.  Probably laughable in fact.  However, over here in the Pacific Northwest, snow and ice = pure devastation.  I now have to figure out how I'm going to make the 55 mile trek from my parents' house in Salem where I've been staying for the holidays back home to Forest Grove (which is about 20 miles west of Portland).  I'm going to have to forgo my usual custom of watching football all day and into the evening and leaving at around 9pm.  I'm going to have to leave while it's still light so I can see.  We're supposed to be getting rain this afternoon and it's supposed to get up to 34 or so.  I'm hoping that this will melt some of the snow.  

It's supposed to dip into the low 20s overnight, meaning all the rain will freeze.  

If there are sheets of ice all over the road, I'm taking the bus to work tomorrow. I'd rather fall down while walking than crash my car (I've almost got it paid off!). 

This snow does kind of give the Portland skyline a "dystopian" look, however.  It's kind of beautiful in a weird way.  However, I would much rather it was 80 degrees right now and not 33.

• Like 1

Speedracer5, These conditions are very dangerous for driving and walking. Been in them when the snow melts during the day and then freezes at night which can happen anytime but most often when winter is nearing the end of the season.

A lot of folks have studded tires which are excellent in exactly this type of weather.

I am sure you will be fine because you are aware of the elements which makes it hazardous to drive/walk. There are tons of clueless people who drive at normal or above speeds or go onto roads that they should not with summer tires...these are the ones in the ditch or doing the pinball...

• Like 1

Speedracer5, These conditions are very dangerous for driving and walking. Been in them when the snow melts during the day and then freezes at night which can happen anytime but most often when winter is nearing the end of the season.

A lot of folks have studded tires which are excellent in exactly this type of weather.

I am sure you will be fine because you are aware of the elements which makes it hazardous to drive/walk. There are tons of clueless people who drive at normal or above speeds or go onto roads that they should not with summer tires...these are the ones in the ditch or doing the pinball...

I don't have studded tires, because they're rarely needed.  My tires on my car aren't great, they aren't bald.  I do need to get new tires this year.  It looked like it was raining outside earlier but it's still really cold.  The sun is due to go down at 4:45.  So I'll have to try and drive home before the sun sets.  I usually take the back roads home, but I think I'll take the freeway because it will be more traveled and hopefully more melted.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, where I live, people are horrified because it's 53 degrees F outside. You'd think we had a blizzard the way people are bundled up.

Lol.  I'd love for it to be 53 degrees.

I'm about ready to move to Australia, where it's summer there.

• Like 1

For anyone that is following my saga of the snow and ice, you'd be happy to know I made it home safely.  It was harrowing and I felt like I was going to have a heart attack at times, but I made it.  

Tomorrow, I am NOT driving to work.  Public transit it is!

• Like 2

El Nino effects now seem to be the order of the day(and all winter) here in the SW, which of course will help alleviate some of California's drought condition.

It's expected to rain all this week(and as it has since yesterday) here in picturesque Sedona AZ, with daytime highs in the lower 40s and upper 30s.

Possible snow coming this Friday and covering the various layers of the magnificent surrounding red rock formations, and which just makes it even more picturesque a sight.

(...but which also of course means NO TENNIS FOR ME THIS WEEK, DAMN IT!!!)

• Like 1

El Nino effects now seem to be the order of the day(and all winter) here in the SW, which of course will help alleviate some of California's drought condition.

It's expected to rain all this week(and as it has since yesterday) here in picturesque Sedona AZ, with daytime highs in the lower 40s and upper 30s.

Possible snow coming this Friday and covering the various layers of the magnificent surrounding red rock formations, and which just makes it even more picturesque a sight.

(...but which also of course means NO TENNIS FOR ME THIS WEEK, DAMN IT!!!)

We're done with the snow and ice up here in the Pacific Northwest, it's your turn. Lol.