Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's the Weather Like where you are ?

And ham, most historians believe there is truth to the Norse oral history that Eric the Red named the place "Greenland" NOT because it was "green and lush" at that time or at ANYTIME during the era of Viking exploration, but because it was a "sales gimmick", as he wanted his fellow Norsemen enticed by that name enough to move there and colonize it. 

Yea, folks,  Greenland was a sales gimmick like the TCM library of films!   :lol:

• Like 1

It's 13 now (9:40am) -- "feels like -3."  You gave me an idea -- the Met now has an online rush ticket lottery. Rather than queueing up, you register online from noon on the day. They have Orchestra and Grand Tier tickets for $25.  It's Hansel and Gretel tonight and might be easier to get a ticket due to the weather.

Just so. Wow, $25. I wonder if that same price would exist with a more famous opera and billing.

I was thinking of wrapping up by previous post with the line, "Yep, it was a verdi, verdi cold day in NYC." :D  But better judgment prevailed. (Note how I jettison my better judgment and include it now.)

Just so. Wow, $25. I wonder if that same price would exist with a more famous opera and billing.

I was thinking of wrapping up by previous post with the line, "Yep, it was a verdi, verdi cold day in NYC." :D  But better judgment prevailed. (Note how I jettison my better judgment and include it now.)

LOL!  Yes -- the Met's policy is $25 for rush seats for all operas. Online only, from noon on weekdays.  But they go VERY quickly! I could have got one for today -- I tried and was successful. But I decided not to go through with it. Tomorrow is The Merry Widow -- maybe I'll try again. I live less than ten minutes walk to the Met, so weather won't put me off, if I really want to go and get lucky with the Met lottery.

Btw, that must have been a great Otello you saw. I saw a good one at the Met as well, a few years earlier. It was Vickers, Lorengar, and Quilico. Conducted by a young James Levine!

I think I mentioned this before, but I think it's worth repeat!

I remember when I was about eight years old, I was sitting at the kitchen table one winter's night, and my Dad was coming in the house after finishing shovelling the snow.  he stomped on the landing floor to clear the snow off his shoes, and my Mom asked him if it was very COLD out. 

HE loudly proclaimed, "God  DAMN!  It's GRAPE NUTS weather out there!"  to which my mom loudly snapped, "GEORGE!"  Me?  I sat there wondering what CEREAL had to do with cold weather, and why it upset my MOM so much! :D

Of course, years later, I finally GOT it.  and for many years now, whenever it gets really cold, as it has the last week or so, I think of that and warm up with a chuckle and warm memory :)

Sepiatone

• 2 weeks later...

I really find this melodramatic reporting about a blizzard that is threatened for NYC and environs to be tedious. OK, maybe we'll get a bad storm. But they make it sound like a horror film, with all the intensity and fear mongering. I've got a lot to do around town tomorrow and have an early dinner date as well. Hopefully my friends won't be scared off by a few snowflakes. After all, we don't have to drive!

I really find this melodramatic reporting about a blizzard that is threatened for NYC and environs to be tedious. OK, maybe we'll get a bad storm. But they make it sound like a horror film, with all the intensity and fear mongering. I've got a lot to do around town tomorrow and have an early dinner date as well. Hopefully my friends won't be scared off by a few snowflakes. After all, we don't have to drive!

Here, only light drizzle and 42 degrees.  Finally got some yard work done last week.

I'm watching the story about the blizzard on NBC4 NY with Janice Huff. They said this may be a historic storm.

Bundle up!

winter-snow.jpg

Here, only light drizzle and 42 degrees.  Finally got some yard work done last week.

I'm watching the story about the blizzard on NBC4 NY with Janice Huff. They said this may be a historic storm.

Where are you? And if Janice Huff is with you, who's doing the weather?  :)

Snow has started falling here in central Pa. Approx. 3-6" No blizzard warning although my noaa app states " an explosive secondary coastal storm will develop later monday and could bring moderate to heavy snow."

Best to you up there in NYC. Have a great dinner tomorrow.

• Like 1

Where are you? And if Janice Huff is with you, who's doing the weather?  :)

I have the local West Virginia news on cable. 4 (NBC/CBS/ABC/FOX) New York and 4 Los Angeles channels on Directv.  I wish cable had the Weather Nation channel, WAY too much JUNK on the Weather Channel!

Occasionally watch Moscow 24 on broadband.

Weather Nation

http://weathernationtv.com/

Snow has started falling here in central Pa. Approx. 3-6" No blizzard warning although my noaa app states " an explosive secondary coastal storm will develop later monday and could bring moderate to heavy snow."

Best to you up there in NYC. Have a great dinner tomorrow.

Checked the New York area's forecast for Monday and Tuesday.. not good. They're expecting up to 18" of snow. People are being cautioned to remain indoors and off the streets through Tuesday, at least.

I always had cars that could handle these conditions with plain old all-weather tires. When everyone else stayed in, I was out late at night (1-3 AM) driving like a maniac on deserted roadways, mostly 8-lane interstates where there were no properties, persons or other vehicles around to be harmed. Donuts and curly cues at 60-80 MPH with no danger of flipping over.

I would see so many 4X4s stranded on the side of roads - in just 10" of snow!! People would drive them off the paved shoulders onto a grassy drop-off in an effort to bypass all the cars moving at a slower rate. Soon as they hit the snow covered grass they lost all traction and slid off into the woods or large ponds.

That was more than 35 years ago. The only snow I see now is on TV, and that's how it should be.

:)

2h8671l.jpg

The weather people on TV here in California are talking excitedly about your blizzard.  May it not be as bad as predicted, and everyone be safe.  You seem to have a wonderful attitude about it all!  A little rain here and people are skidding around, collisions, sirens--mayhem!  (I exaggerate a bit.)

Swithin, I was in New York during a 1985 hurricane that hit. It was fairly serious but not as bad as all that. But I remember the news anchors, they were making fools of themselves with all the drama, it was sickening .... But that's the way it all over, not just NY. I'm lucky, I live in So Cal now and we don't even have weather.

Checked the New York area's forecast for Monday and Tuesday.. not good. They're expecting up to 18" of snow. People are being cautioned to remain indoors and off the streets through Tuesday, at least.

I always had cars that could handle these conditions with plain old all-weather tires. When everyone else stayed in, I was out late at night (1-3 AM) driving like a maniac on deserted roadways, mostly 8-lane interstates where there were no properties, persons or other vehicles around to be harmed. Donuts and curly cues at 60-80 MPH with no danger of flipping over.

I would see so many 4X4s stranded on the side of roads - in just 10" of snow!! People would drive them off the paved shoulders onto a grassy drop-off in an effort to bypass all the cars moving at a slower rate. Soon as they hit the snow covered grass they lost all traction and slid off into the woods or large ponds.

That was more than 35 years ago. The only snow I see now is on TV, and that's how it should be.

:)

2h8671l.jpg

Kid_Dabb

Are you sure you don't miss driving in the snow? Sounds like you had a grand time.

I feel so bad for you having to brave out the almost 70° temps. ????I am☺I am thankful we are not in the blizzard path.

Well I'm out and about. One of my three appointments was cancelled, so my early dinner will become a late lunch -- 3pm. My friends are game to come out and play! It's beginning to look impressive -- very pretty at the moment.

Hope all goes well for you. It sounded like Long Island was going to be hit hard with wind. Hope you keep power. Keep posting.

Hope all goes well for you. It sounded like Long Island was going to be hit hard with wind. Hope you keep power. Keep posting.

Just got home.  Today's storm is a bit messy but hardly a blizzard yet (I guess that comes later). The crosstown bus was crowded. 

Kid_Dabb

Are you sure you don't miss driving in the snow? Sounds like you had a grand time.

I feel so bad for you having to brave out the almost 70° temps. I am☺I am thankful we are not in the blizzard path.

Many of my best memories from childhood and as a young adult come from snow blizzards or otherwise heavy snow storms. Actually, I do miss those experiences - but not the other problems which arise from a great snowfall (shoveling, scraping, digging..).

As I am now located far away from such weather, and in a much warmer climate, I do hope the weather I am experiencing at this later point in my life is not indicative of the direction I'm moving as pertains to my final destination  ;-^)

The CNN reporters are out in force in their snowsuits and hyperbole.  Take care, Swithin, and please keep us posted.

Thanks, GayD. I was watching Brian Williams on NBC. He was standing outside the studio. There was no snow coming down. He said, "It's getting pretty bad" or something like that, feeding the story that they've decided on. I looked out of my window -- I live about 15 blocks from his studio. A few flakes coming down.  That was around 6:30 pm.  Even now -- 8:45, there's barely any snow (the afternoon's "light, fluffy snow left some on the ground).  I know the blizzard may start later tonight, but I think they really screwed up a day for a lot of people with their scare-mongering!

9:15pm. Still nothing much goin' on. I see people walking their dogs from my window

As I am now located far away from such weather, and in a much warmer climate, I do hope the weather I am experiencing at this later point in my life is not indicative of the direction I'm moving as pertains to my final destination  ;-^)

Well Kid, you know what Samuel Clemens said about his preference on the afterlife..."I'd like to go to heaven for the climate and hell for the company"!   ;)

• Like 1