Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's the Weather Like where you are ?

Not to brag, but here in Oregon, we've been having an unusually dry and warm January.  This past weekend, it was sunny, blue skies and in the low 60s.  I'll take it.

For those of you on the East Coast, take care.  Hopefully the blizzard isn't as bad as the news is making it seem.  If you think the news coverage of the East Coast storm is ridiculous, you guys should see the news when Portland gets a light dusting of snow.  I hate driving in snow; but in December, there was a threat of snow and like five snowflakes fell in SW Portland.  Schools were delayed two hours.  Classes canceled. Buses on snow routes.  It was hilarious. 

The winter sports people are complaining about the lack of snow in the mountains.  I don't care though.  I'm not a winter sport person.  My idea of going to the mountains would be sitting in Timberline Lodge (where they filmed The Shining) at Mt. Hood and drinking hot toddies.

Thanks, GayD. I was watching Brian Williams on NBC. He was standing outside the studio. There was no snow coming down. He said, "It's getting pretty bad" or something like that, feeding the story that they've decided on. I looked out of my window -- I live about 15 blocks from his studio. A few flakes coming down.  That was around 6:30 pm.  Even now -- 8:45, there's barely any snow (the afternoon's "light, fluffy snow left some on the ground).  I know the blizzard may start later tonight, but I think they really screwed up a day for a lot of people with their scare-mongering!

9:15pm. Still nothing much goin' on. I see people walking their dogs from my window

They've been showing Central Park with men operating snow plows, and now a reporter is giving a tour of the deserted subway.  I hope it won't be as bad as predicted.  I've seen snow falling only a couple of times, so the idea of several feet or so is overwhelming.  Anyway, take care.

When you consider how the state and local officials have been vilified in the press for not doing enough, soon enough, in recent situations, I think they're doing a good job of covering their a**es. The public (read: media) outcry would be horrendous otherwise.

• Like 2

The public (read: media) outcry would be horrendous otherwise.

I believe that there would be truly great storm if they had prepared for five inches and then received ten inches. That storm would not have been of white fluffy flakes but of material brown, stinky and sticky.

Overhyped? In Philly, the whole city shut down for a day and a half, panicked shoppers bought out supermarket shelves, and it barely snowed at ALL.

It just came out the Governor Cuomo decided to shut down the NYC subways and buses, and didn't tell Mayor de Blasio until half an hour before his (the Governor's) announcement, and the announcement was made hours before the actual shutdown, so there was plenty of time to discuss it with the Mayor!  

One of our tabloids has an article today, "What to do with the Snowmagedon food you panic-bought: 

http://nypost.com/2015/01/27/6-recipes-for-all-the-snowmageddon-food-you-stockpiled/

It just came out the Governor Cuomo decided to shut down the NYC subways and buses, and didn't tell Mayor de Blasio until half an hour before his (the Governor's) announcement, and the announcement was made hours before the actual shutdown, so there was plenty of time to discuss it with the Mayor!  

One of our tabloids has an article today, "What to do with the Snowmagedon food you panic-bought: 

http://nypost.com/2015/01/27/6-recipes-for-all-the-snowmageddon-food-you-stockpiled/

Use the junk food to sit back and watch a movie to remind, why you bought it to begin with.

fkbzt1b88n6jmhpjdr0t.jpg

Here in the Susquehanna Valley in Pennsylvania it is bitterly cold with 15-25 mph sustained wind gusts. Up to 45 mph gusts. Temperatures down to 4° tonight. Wind chills 10-20 below zero. Frostbite to exposed skin in 30 minutes. Winter storm Sunday expected to bring 4-8" more snow. I really like snow but right now I'd rather be in Florida or California.

What WAS the weather like where I was, you ask?.. ok..

In the dead of 1972's winter, I took my fiancé to the premiere of Diamonds are Forever (1971).

It was steady snowing at 5:00 pm and had deposited about 8" by the time we arrived. We arrived about 90 min early so I bought our tickets from the window (lobby not open yet) and we stayed in the car with the heater on until they opened. We watched the line form from one end of a shopping center to the other, about 1/4 mile.

The wind was fierce. The snow began coming in sideways. I was parked under the center's large road sign at the outer edge of the lot. I looked up at a red LED-like display under the main sign - the current temp was 4°F. It dropped to -4°F as we waited.

My heater was running full blast and we were barely staying above freezing. The theater opened and saved our lives.

That was one good movie!

What WAS the weather like where I was, you ask?.. ok..

In the dead of 1972's winter, I took my fiancé to the premiere of Diamonds are Forever (1971).

It was steady snowing at 5:00 pm and had deposited about 8" by the time we arrived. We arrived about 90 min early so I bought our tickets from the window (lobby not open yet) and we stayed in the car with the heater on until they opened. We watched the line form from one end of a shopping center to the other, about 1/4 mile.

The wind was fierce. The snow began coming in sideways. I was parked under the center's large road sign at the outer edge of the lot. I looked up at a red LED-like display under the main sign - the current temp was 4°F. It dropped to -4°F as we waited.

My heater was running full blast and we were barely staying above freezing. The theater opened and saved our lives.

That was one good movie!

So it was definitely worth it then? For you and your girlfriend? Don't you just love Mr. Winn and Mr. Kidd? Oh and the Mach I (I think)?

It's darker now then when I got up-

2.2.15.7AM.jpg

And yes, that is frost on the inside of my window...bottom left corner.

Note the chair on the porch of the house across the street. It's their "smoking" chair! I'll be roasting a turkey today-yum!

Too bad I couldn't capture the flakes descending. It's 12º and dropping. No horseback riding today. 

• Like 1

It's darker now then when I got up-

2.2.15.7AM.jpg

And yes, that is frost on the inside of my window...bottom left corner.

Note the chair on the porch of the house across the street. It's their "smoking" chair! I'll be roasting a turkey today-yum!

Too bad I couldn't capture the flakes descending. It's 12º and dropping. No horseback riding today. 

The worst is when it's just over 32 degrees and raining. You never know where the slippery spots on the sidewalks are going to be. Can you say "broken hip"?

You never know where the slippery spots on the sidewalks are going to be. Can you say "broken hip"?

Ugh I had fallen last week on an icy sidewalk. Left side is scraped and right side sore. Heating pads are big sellers in upstate NY for just this reason. It's getting better- thank Buddha- I do yoga to keep myself limber.

I have made large elaborate sculptures in snow, but nothing lie that photo! Wow!

You never know where the slippery spots on the sidewalks are going to be. Can you say "broken hip"?

Ugh I had fallen last week on an icy sidewalk. Left side is scraped and right side sore. Heating pads are big sellers in upstate NY for just this reason. It's getting better- thank Buddha- I do yoga to keep myself limber.

I have made large elaborate sculptures in snow, but nothing lie that photo! Wow!

TikiSoo, take care of yourself. This ice is very slippy. I even had those spike things for my shoes but they just popped right off today and then down I went. I love snow (not ice) but today I find myself wishing for spring. Give yourself some tlc and take care.

TikiSoo, take care of yourself. This ice is very slippy. I even had those spike things for my shoes but they just popped right off today and then down I went. I love snow (not ice) but today I find myself wishing for spring. Give yourself some tlc and take care.

The worst ice is the ice you can't even see (black ice). Look out, and walk slowly.

The worst ice is the ice you can't even see (black ice). Look out, and walk slowly.

You are absolutely right. There seems to be a lot of it with the single digit temperatures. My spikes usually work fairly well but not in this ice mess. Thanks DownGoesFrazier. I like your name.