Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's the Weather Like where you are ?

Currently in the midst of what I call a "nuisance snow"--not enough to shovel or plow, but enough to cause problems on a road or sidewalk.  It started about 45 minutes before I got off work and is headed southward toward St. Louis.  Should make for a fun commute home!  Cars are creeping along past my house.  Impossible to see the lines on the state highway next to my hacienda.  I'm waiting to see when it ends so I can either sweep or shovel the remnants away.  By Friday we are up to 45 degrees, so this will be a distant memory.

• Like 1

"Down Goes Frazier", voiced by Howard Cosell, is one of the most famous sports calls ever.

Thank you for taking the time to tell me. I'm sure you've had to before. There are so many amazingly knowledgeable people on these boards and I am sure you all have answered many of the same questions often. Just saying thanks for your patience with a newbie like me.
  • Like 1

Thank you for taking the time to tell me. I'm sure you've had to before. There are so many amazingly knowledgeable people on these boards and I am sure you all have answered many of the same questions often. Just saying thanks for your patience with a newbie like me.

That's only because you are, like me, from Pennsylvania.

I too, will conspicuously accept the compliment.  Most of us here are more than willing to, while witholding judgement, help out new members of the boards.

But, DON'T make the mistake in assuming ALL of us here are "amazingly knowledgeable".  SOME here are forwarding the pretense that they are knowledgeable and are only so in their OWN MINDS!  Others will push the notion of how THEY think things should be are actually facts!  But, you'll figure out whom is whom as time goes on...and we'll be more than willing to see what YOU have to contribute!  A FRESH POV is ALWAYS welcome, as this ISN'T FAKEBOOK.  Just, PLEASE remember THAT!

Sepiatone

Well I welcome Mockingbird66 even though he is from Pennsylvania!   

As for Mockingbirds;   There is an aggressive male building his nest in the tree right near my mailbox.    I saw him sitting on the mailbox today.     Last year he would try to attack me when I was getting the mail.   So that mockingbird is a lot more aggressive than the one here.

Beautiful state and I've lived here my entire life (except 2 years in Deutschland). At this moment though I'd rather be a bit more south. It's already 4° and is suppose to hit -2° with lovely wind chills. Then another storm is coming Sunday. They first claimed 4-8" of snow, now it's 3-6." They don't know.

I too, will conspicuously accept the compliment. Most of us here are more than willing to, while witholding judgement, help out new members of the boards.

But, DON'T make the mistake in assuming ALL of us here are "amazingly knowledgeable". SOME here are forwarding the pretense that they are knowledgeable and are only so in their OWN MINDS! Others will push the notion of how THEY think things should be are actually facts! But, you'll figure out whom is whom as time goes on...and we'll be more than willing to see what YOU have to contribute! A FRESH POV is ALWAYS welcome, as this ISN'T FAKEBOOK. Just, PLEASE remember THAT!

Sepiatone

Thank you Sepiatone for those words of wisdom. I do not and will not have a Facebook acct. I totally understand why you renamed it. Good one. I have heard of so many arguments, hurt feelings and just plain meanness due to it.

Another unusual name-Sepiatone. It's a color?

Well I welcome Mockingbird66 even though he is from Pennsylvania!

As for Mockingbirds; There is an aggressive male building his nest in the tree right near my mailbox. I saw him sitting on the mailbox today. Last year he would try to attack me when I was getting the mail. So that mockingbird is a lot more aggressive than the one here.

So jamesjazzguitar, my guess is you are from a warmer state in order to have mockingbirds this time of year?

Thanks for the welcome even though I am from Pa. ☺ I'm regretting it a tad tonight. Just a bit chilly here.

So jamesjazzguitar, my guess is you are from a warmer state in order to have mockingbirds this time of year?

Thanks for the welcome even though I am from Pa. ☺ I'm regretting it a tad tonight. Just a bit chilly here.

Yea, I live in So Cal and today the temp is 73.    The mockingbirds around here start nesting very early in the year and the males can get very aggressive.   Once they start singing it really bugs my wife but I like it.       Stay warm my friend.

Oh, and my dad was born in PA;  Uniontown.  

Yea, I live in So Cal and today we the temp is 73.    The mockingbirds around here start nesting very early in the year and the males can get very aggressive.   Once they start singing it really bugs my wife but I like it.       Stay warm my friend.

Oh, and my dad was born in PA;  Uniontown.  

I've been to Uniontown!  I had relatives in Washington, Pa.  On a visit one year, I went through Uniontown on the way to Ft. Necessity.  I then traveled down to Morgantown and cruised the WVU campus (nice school).  Our temperature in my neck of the woods hit 45 today and should get up to 60 on Saturday and 50 on Sunday (dry both days too--good car washing weather).

After over a month without rain a storm (for California!) came in Friday with high winds.  Trees and stop signs down, even a dangerous-looking dangling freeway sign.  The sort of rain where people's umbrellas are turned inside out.  It's supposed to last through Monday--good thing, as we desperately need the rain.

I've been to Uniontown!  I had relatives in Washington, Pa.  On a visit one year, I went through Uniontown on the way to Ft. Necessity.  I then traveled down to Morgantown and cruised the WVU campus (nice school).  Our temperature in my neck of the woods hit 45 today and should get up to 60 on Saturday and 50 on Sunday (dry both days too--good car washing weather).

Dad was glad to get out of that town since it was a coal mining town and his dad died in his 40s.   What caused him to move happened to a lot of guys back than;   He was drafted and shipped to Monterey CA, for Army training.    Then to Japan during the early 50s.   He meet my mom there,  got married and came back to CA and that is were he stayed.

Dad was glad to get out of that town since it was a coal mining town and his dad died in his 40s. What caused him to move happened to a lot of guys back than; He was drafted and shipped to Monterey CA, for Army training. Then to Japan during the early 50s. He meet my mom there, got married and came back to CA and that is were he stayed.

Many of the mines are closed now. Did you ever hear of Centralia? It's pretty much a ghost town due to a mine fire that's still burning to this day. It's eerie when you drive past. Smoke coming up out of the ground in many places.

Did you ever see The Molly Maguires? That was in a county up from mine. Sean Connery played in the movie.

Oh and jenny wrens are very aggressive for their size. They are so tiny but they come right at you if you invade their territory where their nest is. One summer we had an old grill with a can to collect drippings and they built their nest in it. Needless to say we didn't use the grill until the babies left the nest.

I love mockinbirds songs. They sound like so many different birds.

After over a month without rain a storm (for California!) came in Friday with high winds. Trees and stop signs down, even a dangerous-looking dangling freeway sign. The sort of rain where people's umbrellas are turned inside out. It's supposed to last through Monday--good thing, as we desperately need the rain.

I just read about the storms out there. Hope all is well and some of the rain soaked into the ground.

I just read about the storms out there. Hope all is well and some of the rain soaked into the ground.

Thanks, mockingbird66.  The rain is lighter today, though another storm is moving in tomorrow.  As long as people don't try to drive across flooded roads (there's always someone!) we should all be fine.

Thanks, mockingbird66.  The rain is lighter today, though another storm is moving in tomorrow.  As long as people don't try to drive across flooded roads (there's always someone!) we should all be fine.

Good to see the northern part of CA is getting rain.   The forecast for So Cal is a 50% chance of rain,  but I just got back from hiking and it is around 73 and clear.      So I guess us in the south will have to steal even more of the water you're getting!   :o

Good to see the northern part of CA is getting rain.   The forecast for So Cal is a 50% chance of rain,  but I just got back from hiking and it is around 73 and clear.      So I guess us in the south will have to steal even more of the water you're getting!   :o

I live in SC as well and I sometimes laugh at this "50% (or 30%, whatever) chance of rain" thing. Given the dearth of rain, such a statement seem ridiculous to me. It is notoriously difficult to predict rain in an area where it doesn't rain much. So many false alarms. And yet I'm amazed with how accurate they are at predicting temperatures. The 5-day forecasts are extremely reliable in this regard.

I live in SC as well and I sometimes laugh at this "50% (or 30%, whatever) chance of rain" thing. Given the dearth of rain, such a statement seem ridiculous to me. It is notoriously difficult to predict rain in an area where it doesn't rain much. So many false alarms. And yet I'm amazed with how accurate they are at predicting temperatures. The 5-day forecasts are extremely reliable in this regard.

Well they were half wrong again since it didn't rain last night.    This was good since we had a dinner party last night.  So we were able to sit outside because the temp was in around 64 until Midnight.     But we need the rain so I hope it rains in the next few weeks.  

(my apologies to Tikisoo!).     Great picture of Jack BTW.    He doesn't look like he is shinning.