Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's the Weather Like where you are ?

Good to see the northern part of CA is getting rain.   The forecast for So Cal is a 50% chance of rain,  but I just got back from hiking and it is around 73 and clear.      So I guess us in the south will have to steal even more of the water you're getting!   :o

Let's hope there's more to come.  I guess lawns and swimming pools will soon be going the way of the dodo.  I read that some super wealthy are trucking it in from other states.

Let's hope there's more to come.  I guess lawns and swimming pools will soon be going the way of the dodo.  I read that some super wealthy are trucking it in from other states.

Well the L.A. Times had an article about swimming pools and they use less water in a year then if the same area was covered in a lawn, especially if the pool is covered.    But having lawns in an area that is as arid as So Cal never made sense in the first place. 

I replaced my front yard with cactus and other local plants and love it.   Not only does it save water (I only have to water 2 - 3 times a year in the summer),  but it is mostly maintenance free (since I put sand and small rocks on the ground which prevents weeds from growing).    

In our area they tell us how we rank with electrical and water use compared to our neighbors.    With water I rank #6 out of 100 homes and my electric use is #2 (I really want to know who #1 is!).     So I feel I'm doing my part (plus I spend less!).

• Like 2

I read that some super wealthy are trucking it in from other states.

I've always predicted as we wean ourselves off cheap gasoline, economies will shift to cheap water being the hot commodity.

The scene yesterday as I went "hiking":

sledding.jpg

It's only 3pm, but look at how dark it gets when it snows. Syracuse has drumlins which make for great sledding and Harold Lloyd type photography. As you can see sledding & snowboarding are a common family activity around here.

I was worried having a puppy over the winter. Goldens are originally from Scotland-she doesn't give a whit about the snow-and she doesn't even have her adult coat yet!

whiskeysnow.jpg

• Like 2

Could always trade up for a Siberian Husky.

Huskies do not have the same easy going "pet" temperament as Goldens. They need more actual "running" than I can give one. A Golden is content to go "hiking", more my speed.

I sometimes use a jacket to keep my dog's coat clean if muddy and we're going somewhere. My dog also has several pairs of protective boots depending on the ground conditions.

I read that some super wealthy are trucking it in from other states.

I've always predicted as we wean ourselves off cheap gasoline, economies will shift to cheap water being the hot commodity.

The scene yesterday as I went "hiking":

sledding.jpg

It's only 3pm, but look at how dark it gets when it snows. Syracuse has drumlins which make for great sledding and Harold Lloyd type photography. As you can see sledding & snowboarding are a common family activity around here.

Are there any icy downhill streets that are good for sledding.. or has all the ice been scraped away?

It's been raining all day here in Lakeland, Fl. - in the 60s. Wish I could divert all of it to the SW.

Do sweaters on dogs really help? I heard that they don't They look cute, though.

I am far from being expert but I have of recent read debate concerning clothing for pets.

Several who did seem to be knowledgeable agreed that coats for dogs were beneficial for small dogs with short hair if dog is not to be running or playing and if it is removed when the dog is brought indoors.

They agreed also that coats for dogs of breeds from cold climates do more harm than good. These dogs have layers of hair which serve different purposes and which react to conditions. A coat is seen as constricting all hair into single mat which has less insulating value and which can not adjust to release body heat as needed.

When it's stopped raining, we made it into the low 70s and the swans are nesting. As you can see, our Police Dept. is very active in their protection. Last year many eggs were stolen. We're not sure if it was for food or profit as a high value is placed upon them either way.

s3eikg.jpg

• Like 1

When it's stopped raining, we made it into the low 70s and the swans are nesting. As you can see, our Police Dept. is very active in their protection. Last year many eggs were stolen. We're not sure if it was for food or profit as a high value is placed upon them either way.

s3eikg.jpg

There's a 'market' for swans eggs as FOOD?!

(wow...never knew that)

:blink:

There's a 'market' for swans eggs as FOOD?!

(wow...never knew that)

:blink:

As beautiful as Lakeland is, there is a large contingent of homeless and displaced about. They do forage - anywhere; anytime.

Then there's the for profit possibility: The swans themselves are valued at $300 apiece - their eggs.. $125 -$150 each.

These hundreds of swans are direct descendants of an original pair gifted to the City by the Queen of England many years ago.

• Like 1

s3eikg.jpg

Love the swans, but not the fact they require police protection.   By the way, what is the furry creature in the foreground?  

Love the swans, but not the fact they require police protection.   By the way, what is the furry creature in the foreground?  

That's my nose hair. Always gets in the way of my shots.

NOT !

:P

I really am not sure, other than it's most likely the "business" end of a nearby dog walker's family pet. Looks like a car key and fob hanging from it's side. I've no idea.

• Like 1

Temperatures are to drop tonight so that chill factor will be below zero.

There is hazardous weather warning for our area beginning Sunday afternoon through to Monday morning:

ACCUMULATIONS: THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR HEAVY SNOWFALL IN THE
  WATCH AREA. IN OUR REGION...HEAVY SNOWFALL IS DEFINED AS 4
  INCHES OR MORE IN 12 HOURS...OR 6 INCHES IN 24 HOURS.

Temperatures are to drop tonight so that chill factor will be below zero.

There is hazardous weather warning for our area beginning Sunday afternoon through to Monday morning:

ACCUMULATIONS: THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR HEAVY SNOWFALL IN THE

WATCH AREA. IN OUR REGION...HEAVY SNOWFALL IS DEFINED AS 4

INCHES OR MORE IN 12 HOURS...OR 6 INCHES IN 24 HOURS.

Please take care SansFin. I hope all stays well for you. It's very cold here in Pennsylvania too. Low of 4° with wind gusts up to 50 mph and wind chill factors to -30. This time we only received 1" snow. I really don't like the cold winds. Hope we all keep electricity through it. Best thoughts for you this weekend.

Please take care SansFin. I hope all stays well for you. It's very cold here in Pennsylvania too. Low of 4° with wind gusts up to 50 mph and wind chill factors to -30. This time we only received 1" snow. I really don't like the cold winds. Hope we all keep electricity through it. Best thoughts for you this weekend.

I thank you for your concern. You need not worry for us. One of us might nip out for extra cigarettes before the storm but we have sufficient supplies including propane heaters if needed. It is often that we do not go outdoors for several days at a time. To be snowed in will not be hardship. Loss of electricity would be hardship only in loss of television and DVR. 

I hope you will keep warm and take special care if you must venture outdoors. Such cold is insidious and effects are often subtle.