Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's the Weather Like where you are ?

I'm soon to be under a winter weather advisory from 3 p.m. today to 6 p.m. Monday evening.  Counties to the south of me are under a winter storm warning (meaning, Boy, are they gonna get it!).  We're expecting anywhere from 4-8 inches by the time things wrap up Monday night.  Temperatures here are pretty cold too.  We'll be lucky to hit 20 today.

Hey! That minus 40 celcius is the same in fahrenheit - I had to say that.

I've still got my L.L. Bean nanook parka, good for -50° F. I bought it when I lived in Maryland, just before moving here to central Florida. I actually had to use it here about 6 years ago - the winter was below freezing for several weeks. We've had warm winters since.

75 degrees here today - just East of Tampa Bay

Incredibly cold. One of the coldest days on record in Southern Ontario. Minus 40 (celcius) with the wind chill factor.

I'm no hot weather fan, but this is too much for me. I is staying inside until it goes back to normal (like,

-15.)

We are expected to break a record tonight. Our lowest was -5° back in 63. Tonight -7 and the nasty wind chills to feel like -25. I always thought I would like to live in Canada because I like snow. I just despise the wind. Oh and the ice.

Stay warm up there. I am so thankful right now that I have a home with warm heat.

Incredibly cold. One of the coldest days on record in Southern Ontario. Minus 40 (celcius) with the wind chill factor.

It is now: 23°F with: -10°C wind chill. I can not say with authority what it feels like because I am not so stupid as to set foot outdoors when there is no need.

I thank you for your concern. You need not worry for us. One of us might nip out for extra cigarettes before the storm but we have sufficient supplies including propane heaters if needed. It is often that we do not go outdoors for several days at a time. To be snowed in will not be hardship. Loss of electricity would be hardship only in loss of television and DVR.

I hope you will keep warm and take special care if you must venture outdoors. Such cold is insidious and effects are often subtle.

We made sure we had enough coffee. We love our coffee . The wind hasn't stopped yet. I only opened the door to let out cat in and out. That is the closest I got to the outdoors today. That was plenty for me.

I sure am glad for the tv and dvr too. Did you get your snow yet? We are only to receive 1-3". You stay warm too.

Did you get your snow yet? We are only to receive 1-3". You stay warm too.

The first pass seems to have gone quite north of us. Current radar shows storm which is approx. two hours away and may brush just to south of us. I hope it does! It is best guess that main snow will reach us before dawn.

We have made assessment of all supplies and conditions and worst is that one of us will have to go outside to fill squirrel feeder again within next three days. I am comfortable with that as care of beasties is man's job! :)

• Like 1

The first pass seems to have gone quite north of us. Current radar shows storm which is approx. two hours away and may brush just to south of us. I hope it does! It is best guess that main snow will reach us before dawn.

We have made assessment of all supplies and conditions and worst is that one of us will have to go outside to fill squirrel feeder again within next three days. I am comfortable with that as care of beasties is man's job! :)

Ah, yes the outdoor critters need food. We have a very large feeder in which birds and squirrels both eat. Also a raccoon now and then. We try to put in seeds and shelled or ear corn. Sometimes possum, deer, or once in a while wild turkeys eat underneath the feeder.

I must venture out tomorrow. I only wish the weather forecasters were wrong about the week long cold. We have -2° already.

Many people install bird feeders and then complain when squirrels come to eat from them. My husband did decide to avoid such problems by erecting squirrel feeder.

fXNOpVM.jpg

It is funny when birds come to steal from it!

We feed mixture of whole kernel corn and black oil sunflower seeds. We buy sacks of each at feed store and mix them. We add gerbil food when it is available on sale at drastically reduced price.

We have now freezing drizzle. Radar shows we are at front edge of storm. Main part which is angry red and yellow looks to be approx. hour away. 

fYo7dUo.jpg

• Like 1

It's been snowing at my locale for about 13 hours.  I figure we have about 6 inches on the ground.  The snow is of the fluffy variety which will make it very easy to shovel once it stops (supposedly around noon CST).  I filled up my bird feeder Sunday afternoon before the snow began, and the neighborhood birds are taking full advantage.  Good thing it's a holiday for me!  Normally, I would fix pancakes for breakfast on days like this, but I had some ingredients I needed to get rid of, so I opted to make peach muffins (first-time effort).  They turned out alright.

This is our toy:

YSZhYMX.jpg

It can not be seen in image but it is continuing to snow. Big fluffy flakes.

The pick-up behind it has snow plow on front. It was sent to clear driveway and parking area. It is stuck.

It is sad to say that I can find no official reading of snowfall. It is all forecasts or as precipitation as if rain. Local weatherspotter stated there was four inches north of town and that fifteen inches in total is expected.

It's supposed to be about 70 and sunny in about an hour from now, and when I walk on the tennis courts this afternoon here in Sedona....okay, actually in Cottonwood AZ...a short 25 minute drive from here anyway.

(...though as usual, I will probably keep my sweatpants on for the first set in order to warm up these old 62 year old legs of mine and before I strip down to my shorts...can't be too careful in warming up at my age, ya know!!!)

LOL 

It stopped snowing here around noon.  We got about 7 inches of fresh powder, which makes this the biggest snowfall of the season so far (we've still got 5 weeks of Winter left, after all).  As expected, the fluffy snow was very easy to shovel, and it took me about 40 minutes to do the sidewalk connecting the house to the garage, plus the driveway, and the front sidewalk to the street (low-tech guy here, so no snowblower was used in this operation).  For good measure, I went across the street to shovel around the bank of 6 mailboxes that I share with neighbors--I can't tell you how many times I've nearly had my car stuck pulling up to get my mail, because the snow was so deep it seldom mattered if I were in the tracks of the mail carrier's 4-wheel drive vehicle or not!

I'm one of those people that "if I'm workin', then I'm sweatin'", and sure enough, I was a bit drenched after my workout.  Despite cloudy skies, no wind, and 17 degrees on the thermometer, I still sweat like a Preakness winner!  Currently cooling down and getting the feeling back in my toes.  A shower will do me good.

• Like 1

It stopped snowing here around noon.  We got about 7 inches of fresh powder, which makes this the biggest snowfall of the season so far (we've still got 5 weeks of Winter left, after all).  As expected, the fluffy snow was very easy to shovel, and it took me about 40 minutes to do the sidewalk connecting the house to the garage, plus the driveway, and the front sidewalk to the street (low-tech guy here, so no snowblower was used in this operation).  For good measure, I went across the street to shovel around the bank of 6 mailboxes that I share with neighbors--I can't tell you how many times I've nearly had my car stuck pulling up to get my mail, because the snow was so deep it seldom mattered if I were in the tracks of the mail carrier's 4-wheel drive vehicle or not!

I'm one of those people that "if I'm workin', then I'm sweatin'", and sure enough, I was a bit drenched after my workout.  Despite cloudy skies, no wind, and 17 degrees on the thermometer, I still sweat like a Preakness winner!  Currently cooling down and getting the feeling back in my toes.  A shower will do me good.

The house I left in Maryland, before moving to Florida, was a corner lot with about 200 ft of sidewalk. The last 2 winters I spent there were snow heavy - ice, too. Scrapers and shovels would not budge the ice on the walkways - I had to use a small flamethrower worn like a scuba tank.

Get warm!

:)

• Like 1

maybe it's the weather but outside my home today were these two gulls, a big brown one and a smaller white one but both were duck-sized. they seemed to be together. they would both get up together and plant themselves down together. the big brown one was even balancing itself on one leg. the smaller white one was your mcdonald's parking lot variety of sea gull. the bigger brown one I doan know.

maybe it's the weather but outside my home today were these two gulls, a big brown one and a smaller white one but both were duck-sized. they seemed to be together. they would both get up together and plant themselves down together. the big brown one was even balancing itself on one leg. the smaller white one was your mcdonald's parking lot variety of sea gull. the bigger brown one I doan know.

Uh-huh. And so, what did Gertude say to Heathcliff?

I mean, it sounds as if you're settin' up one of Red's old routines, and so what's the punchline here, ND???

Gertrude-and-Heathcliff-101924356754.jpe

;)

• Like 1

Based on the food you are known to eat,  maybe those gulls felt your driveway was the McDonald's parking lot.    :lol:

Uh-huh. And so, what did Gertude say to Heathcliff?

I mean, it sounds as if you're settin' up one of Red's old routines, and so what's the punchline here, ND???

Gertrude-and-Heathcliff-101924356754.jpe

;)

Maybe there is no punchline. Maybe it's just good ole observation, enjoying what is without making anything out of it. Isn't that what our Buddhist friends are always sayin'?

:)

It has stopped snowing. I do not know how temporary that may be because one source states we may have more tonight and different source states there will be none before tomorrow night.

FmRDM5r.jpg

The snow always looks so pretty when it first falls. I like that time. It's always so quiet and beautiful-to me. We received an inch or so last night. It mainly stayed in southern Pennsylvania. They are calling for more wind chill warnings in the next few days.