Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pioneering Filmmaker William Greaves Passes Away at 87

SableGamine

Another one has left us, friends.  The always unique and underrated William Greaves passed away at his Manhattan home at the age of 87.  Probably best known for his experimental film "Symbiopsychotaxiplasm: Part One", Greaves was also vastly influential in shaping news and documentary specials in the late '60s and early '70s, especially those devoted to African-American issues and historical figures.  There are many in the field who owe him a large debt, whether they realize it or not, and he was always hoping that others would follow in his footsteps and continue the fight.  I hope that his contributions will not get lost or thrown by the wayside.  

Here is his obituary from the New York Times: 

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/27/arts/william-greaves-a-documentarian-and-pioneering-journalist-dies-at-87.html

• Like 1

It really saddens me that his passing doesn't seem to be getting any attention.

What deaths the media will cover or not, and how much coverage there is,  has been a topic at this forum. 

e.g.  I'm seeing Lauren Bacall on the covers of magazines all over the place (Us,  People,  etc...).    This made me wonder what type of coverage Olivia DeHavilland would get.     Yea,  Bacall is more of an cultural icon then DeHavilland but DeHavilland has a much stronger film legacy.   My point being that I still don't really know what drives media coverage.   (with Bacall, based on the coverage I've see the Bogie romance is a main driver).      Note: I'm not saying one deserves more coverage than another only that I'm interested in what drives the media.

So the amount of media coverage on Bacall was a welcome surprise while I assume the amount of coverage for DeHavilland (as well as others), will disapoint me.   But of course it was great to see Bacall's face when going to the market instead of a Kardashian!

• Like 1

What deaths the media will cover or not, and how much coverage there is,  has been a topic at this forum. 

e.g.  I'm seeing Lauren Bacall on the covers of magazines all over the place (Us,  People,  etc...).    This made me wonder what type of coverage Olivia DeHavilland would get.     Yea,  Bacall is more of an cultural icon then DeHavilland but DeHavilland has a much stronger film legacy.   My point being that I still don't really know what drives media coverage.   (with Bacall, based on the coverage I've see the Bogie romance is a main driver).      Note: I'm not saying one deserves more coverage than another only that I'm interested in what drives the media.

So the amount of media coverage on Bacall was a welcome surprise while I assume the amount of coverage for DeHavilland (as well as others), will disapoint me.   But of course it was great to see Bacall's face when going to the market instead of a Kardashian!

Noooo! Don't call her out by name, we don't want to jinx her! But seriously, I understand completely what you're talking about. I've had conversations with others about a number of people who passed away this year, (two words: RUBY DEE) as well as last (remember Michael Ansara?) who got little coverage, or who were overshadowed by someone or something. I also agree that the media tends to hype up new aspect of a performer's life over others, such as the Fontaine/DeHavilland feud. Even with Lauren Bacall, she almost got overshadowed by the whole Robin Williams situation, but her clout and legacy prevented that from happening totally.

Noooo! Don't call her out by name, we don't want to jinx her! But seriously, I understand completely what you're talking about. I've had conversations with others about a number of people who passed away this year, (two words: RUBY DEE) as well as last (remember Michael Ansara?) who got little coverage, or who were overshadowed by someone or something. I also agree that the media tends to hype up new aspect of a performer's life over others, such as the Fontaine/DeHavilland feud. Even with Lauren Bacall, she almost got overshadowed by the whole Robin Williams situation, but her clout and legacy prevented that from happening totally.

I clearly don't wish to jinx DeHavilland.   In fact I have a bottle of very fine wine that I'm saving for when the sad day comes.   But the good news is that this is the 3rd bottle I have set aside.   I started this about 25 years ago.   Well after 10 or so years the wine was at it's peak so I opened it and got another bottle of fine wine.  

• Like 1

I clearly don't wish to jinx DeHavilland.   In fact I have a bottle of very fine wine that I'm saving for when the sad day comes.   But the good news is that this is the 3rd bottle I have set aside.   I started this about 25 years ago.   Well after 10 or so years the wine was at it's peak so I opened it and got another bottle of fine wine.

Really? That's a great idea. She's quite a trooper, isn't she? She's one of my personal favorites as well. When she, along with a few others (who I'm not going to name) pass on, I'm declaring my own personal day of mourning, complete with black armband. I'm trying to bring that tradition back.

Really? That's a great idea. She's quite a trooper, isn't she? She's one of my personal favorites as well. When she, along with a few others (who I'm not going to name) pass on, I'm declaring my own personal day of mourning, complete with black armband. I'm trying to bring that tradition back.

Yes, there is another very great lady, now 104, who may not have made scores of films, but she did win Oscars back to back! I was sorry that Zohra Sehgal, the Indian actress who died last month aged 102, did not receive more notice here. After all, she did make movies in the West and played a pivotal role in The Jewel in the Crown!

• Like 1

Yes, there is another very great lady, now 104, who may not have made scores of films, but she did win Oscars back to back! I was sorry that Zohra Sehgal, the Indian actress who died last month aged 102, did not receive more notice here. After all, she did make movies in the West and played a pivotal role in The Jewel in the Crown!

I know exactly who you're talking about, and I love the way that were invoking people without naming them. Sometimes, international stars don't get the recognition that they deserve; it's a sad fact, but true.

I read about him in the New York Times, and did not know about him. The obituary provided a good education, but had I learned about him before his death, it would have been something. 

All the more reason to equate contributors of all races into the perspective of classic film appreciation.