Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Monkey Time

NipkowDisc

Sunday sept. 7, planet of the apes and beneath the planet of the apes double-header. saw beneath the planet of the apes and escape from the planet of the apes at the movies 40 years ago I did. Franciscus was a good substitute for the chuckster but it was sure nice to see him torwards the end of btpota. The 3rd film was quite fanciful what with zira, cornelius and milo finding themselves amid 20th century human-controlled earth if you can get past them supposedly raising and repairing the original sunken spacecraft from their inland sea. one thing you don't see in any of the original ape flicks are apes in boats. horses, wagons but no boats. I really like the opening of the first film with the spaceship zooming through the atmosphere at high speed and a really well-designed spacecraft interior.

fn8fuh.jpg

• Like 1

Sunday sept. 7, planet of the apes and beneath the planet of the apes double-header. saw beneath the planet of the apes and escape from the planet of the apes at the movies 40 years ago I did. Franciscus was a good substitute for the chuckster but it was sure nice to see him torwards the end of btpota. The 3rd film was quite fanciful what with zira, cornelius and milo finding themselves amid 20th century human-controlled earth if you can get past them supposedly raising and repairing the original sunken spacecraft from their inland sea. one thing you don't see in any of the original ape flicks are apes in boats. horses, wagons but no boats. I really like the opening of the first film with the spaceship zooming through the atmosphere at high speed and a really well-designed spacecraft interior.

This has always been a big problem with me, how on Earth did monkeys only knowing horses and wagons managed to dry out, repair and fly a star ship???  Warp factor 6 Zira...give me a break, lol. The ship itself is incomplete and I would have love to see the entire thing including the propulsion system. The time traveling Heston, Zira, and  Cornelius created a paradox - break the cycle like in "Terminator 2" and the apes will cease to exist. 

The remake told us, it's a parallel Earth.

The digital clock in the first 1969 movie was the first time I ever saw one.

Love the homage paid to the Statue of Liberty ending in the cartoon "Baby Huey - Fowl Photography"

The original "Planet of The Apes" novel had the astronauts traveling to the super gigantic star Betelgeuse which tells us, shouldn't any Earth like planet orbiting a supergiant long since been toast? The evolution of the story tended to get more insane with each retelling.  The 2001 remake does have a great one liner....Is there a soul in there?

Believe it or not, a digital clock can actually be seen in The Gangster (1947).

iz0iMfx.jpg

Can you send me a pic of the clock.  I don't think it's what I'm referring to.  Just recently I've seen another one in the movie "Journey To The Seventh Planet" (1962), look at the 6:55 time frame.  I like to know what makes it work because I can't find any info on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyETpuhiyA0

The opening sequence of "Planet of the Apes" is very well done....yeah it takes a leap of faith to believe the apes with their primitive technology managed to fix and fly the space ship at the end of "Beneath"- but it was the only way to continue the series.

The opening sequence of "Planet of the Apes" is very well done....yeah it takes a leap of faith to believe the apes with their primitive technology managed to fix and fly the space ship at the end of "Beneath"-

Ever consider the possibility that it was a descendant of Bonzo who fixed that spaceship?

(...I mean he WAS the very first simian to ever go to college, now wasn't he?!)

bonzo-goes-to-college-edmund-gwenn-evere

• Like 1

BUMP :)

lookin' forward to them 2 ape flicks tonite. the first one is great what with an initially cynical Col. Taylor learnin' real quick to appreciate his long-lost fellow humanity. chimp scientists cornelius and zira are sympathetic and an elderly dr. zaius played brilliantly by maurice evans knows already somethings afoot with humanity. 2nd film ain't too bad with twentieth century-fox finding a stand-in for Chuck Heston in James Franciscus. The 2nd film gets far too science fictiony imo and a better storyline woulda had chuck showin' up earlier in the film. Heston didn't wanna do it but director post told him he couldn't do it without 'em. Heston was a good guy and did it. A final exchange between Taylor and zaius and Taylor pushes the lever and that shiny cobalt-cased doomsday missile obliterates the whole planet! A final expression if you will of man's unbridled tendency torward self-destruction. very deep sh i t I'm sure. so I've always felt twentieth century-fox tried to get back to basics with the 3rd film escape from the planet of the apes. with that one they simply reversed the premise of the first film with 3 intelligent simians from the future supposedly repairing a sunken spaceship and then slingshootin' themselves backwards thru time to 20th century planet of the humans..right. never pay attention to the final two films in the series as they're convoluted jabberwocky and the 1974 CBS TV series is a best forgot alias smith and jones in ape land.

if you can get past them supposedly raising and repairing the original sunken spacecraft from their inland sea. 

I believe that this is within the sense of poetic license. The apes had skill with brain surgery and some aptitude with basic mechanical devices. Raising the ship would be a matter of simple winches and pulleys mounted on large rafts. 

I believe that repair does not exceed normal limits of suspension of disbelief as it is to be expected that they would be curious and would take apart pieces to see how they worked. To reassemble would be straight-forward part of seeing how parts interact. It is common for people to disassemble an appliance to find why it is not working and fail to find the problem or fix it but find that it works when it is reassembled.

I have a single-speed Dremel which is like that. There is a problem with the switch. All I need do is disassemble it and reassemble it and it works many times before it will not again turn on. I have checked all connections and tolerance of parts and all other things which can be done sans specialty tools and all is proper and correct and there is never a reason for it to fail but it inevitably does.

The apes might have unknowingly repaired the ship by that method and then pressed a button which led the computer to reboot and start its preprogrammed flight instructions and carried the unwitting apes with it.