Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Film industry has it's worst summer since 1997

NipkowDisc

Good. Hollywood has forgotten how to make classic films. Maybe they will now get the message.

But they will need new people instead of the dregs they handed the industry over to like Quentin Tarantino. You can only throw so much ultra-violent mayhem at people until they say enough already. Negative box office returns is a good way to say it. :)

But they will need new people instead of the dregs they handed the industry over to like Quentin Tarantino. You can only throw so much ultra-violent mayhem at people until they say enough already. Negative box office returns is a good way to say it. :)

Oh yeah, that's it "alright", ND. Uh-huh, all the Millenials out there who make up a sizable percentage of the present movie-going audience are suddenly looking for more sophisticated fare!

(...uh-huh...yeah...sure...THAT'S the reason for this "alright"!!!) LOL 

So who told them to write off everyone in their 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s???

Guardians of the Galaxy just may not be quite enough to cut it for the Mike and Carol Brady's of America and their families. :)

Just looked through the list of upcoming films and forecast is dismal. I've only looked at 2 movies "Pompeii" which was good and "Noah" that was fair. 2014 is a boring year.  :(

This summer, I saw:

Guardians of the Galaxy, it was a great film.  It was fun, quirky, had a great soundtrack, and most important, it was entertaining.  Definitely one of the best Marvel releases.

Maleficent, I loved this movie.  I was skeptical at first of a live action adaptation of the Sleeping Beauty story; but I had more faith after having seen their take on The Wizard of Oz that was released last year.  Angelina Jolie made a great Maleficent.  My only criticism is the casting of Elle Fanning as Sleeping Beauty, I don't know who I would have cast in her place; but someone else.  The movie's Prince Phillip was also a little too boy band-ish for me.  Maleficent was my favorite character from the cartoon, even though she was the villain, I felt bad for her for some reason.

X-Men: Days of Future Past, This was pretty good; not as good as some of the previous X-Men films; but I enjoyed it well enough.  The plot was kind of confusing; but that might have just been me.  This film does feature many delicious scenes of Hugh Jackman though-- so the venture to the movie theater that evening was not a total bust.  Haha.

I do wish that Michael Bay would quit taking my beloved 80s cartoons and ruining them with his ridiculous over blown action films.  First he runs Transformers into the ground and now he's trying to ruin Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles too.  Ugh.  I refuse to watch any more of his fare.

I also saw The Lego Movie this year, which was awesome; but that was not a summer film. 

Looking at the roster of future releases, I see a few that look like they'll be good:

The Boxtrolls

Big Hero Six

Dumb and Dumber To

The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out! (This'll be a date night movie for my husband and I, on our first date, we saw The Spongebob Square Pants Movie, lol)

Cinderella

The Avengers: Age of Ultron

Batman vs Superman (Although, I'm skeptical about the casting of Ben Affleck as Batman)

The Good Dinosaur

Finding Dory

I'll admit, that based on some of the comments I've read regarding new films, that my movie choices may not be the most highbrow (I like to go see a lot of the supposed "kids" movies) but it seems that the next year should be a good one for animation.  It looks like there are a ton more sequels to films I didn't think needed more, Pirates of the Caribbean 5 (really?).  I just hope no more of my beloved childhood cartoons are going to be ruined in 2015.  Haha.

Looking at the roster of future releases, I see a few that look like they'll be good:

The Boxtrolls

Big Hero Six

Dumb and Dumber To

The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out! (This'll be a date night movie for my husband and I, on our first date, we saw The Spongebob Square Pants Movie, lol)

Cinderella

Batman vs Superman (Although, I'm skeptical about the casting of Ben Affleck as Batman)

The Good Dinosaur

Finding Dory

Hmmmm...I dunno Speedy, but I'm havin' kind of a tough time here thinkin' which o' these movies somebody like say Bette Davis, Olivia de Havilland, Fredric March and/or Spencer Tracy might've starred in IF they were still alive?!!! LOL

(...saaaay, I wonder if March and Tracy could have headlined "Dumb and Dumber To"...naaaah, better leave THAT to Carrey and Daniels, huh!) 

;)

• Like 1

Hmmmm...I dunno Speedy, but I'm havin' kind of a tough time here thinkin' which o' these movies somebody like say Bette Davis, Olivia de Havilland, Fredric March and/or Spencer Tracy might've starred in IF they were still alive?!!! LOL

;)

Lol.  Maybe they'd do some voice acting!

P.S. Olivia de Havilland is still alive, so we still have a chance with her!

Oh GEEZ! you're RIGHT!!!

(...sorry Olivia over there in The City of Light...my mistake...I'm allowed one a day, ya know!) ;)

This summer, I saw:

Guardians of the Galaxy, it was a great film.  It was fun, quirky, had a great soundtrack, and most important, it was entertaining.  Definitely one of the best Marvel releases.

Maleficent, I loved this movie.  I was skeptical at first of a live action adaptation of the Sleeping Beauty story; but I had more faith after having seen their take on The Wizard of Oz that was released last year.  Angelina Jolie made a great Maleficent.  My only criticism is the casting of Elle Fanning as Sleeping Beauty, I don't know who I would have cast in her place; but someone else.  The movie's Prince Phillip was also a little too boy band-ish for me.  Maleficent was my favorite character from the cartoon, even though she was the villain, I felt bad for her for some reason.

X-Men: Days of Future Past, This was pretty good; not as good as some of the previous X-Men films; but I enjoyed it well enough.  The plot was kind of confusing; but that might have just been me.  This film does feature many delicious scenes of Hugh Jackman though-- so the venture to the movie theater that evening was not a total bust.  Haha.

I do wish that Michael Bay would quit taking my beloved 80s cartoons and ruining them with his ridiculous over blown action films.  First he runs Transformers into the ground and now he's trying to ruin Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles too.  Ugh.  I refuse to watch any more of his fare.

I also saw The Lego Movie this year, which was awesome; but that was not a summer film. 

The Boxtrolls

Big Hero Six

Dumb and Dumber To

Cinderella

The Good Dinosaur

Finding Dory

I'll admit, that based on some of the comments I've read regarding new films, that my movie choices may not be the most highbrow (I like to go see a lot of the supposed "kids" movies) but it seems that the next year should be a good one for animation.  It looks like there are a ton more sequels to films I didn't think needed more, Pirates of the Caribbean 5 (really?).  I just hope no more of my beloved childhood cartoons are going to be ruined in 2015.  Haha.

I noticed "Finding Dory", I'm interested in that one - someone somewhere made a bet. Lol.

tumblr_n2o3kuZJTl1qe11kdo1_500.jpg

The only two Summer releases that were interesting was "Maleficent" and "Guardians of the Galaxy" to films that brought something new to their repective genres.    The rest of the Summer movies looked painfully familiar Tom Cruise fighting aliens again!  Sequels that no one really wanted to see - more X Men! More Transformers!  Enought already with these sequel- remakes.

So is Arlene Dahl, who's 86.  I just finished watching 4 of those films of hers that played on Thursday, and she was terrific in all of them, especially She Played With Fire and Wicked As They Come.  At her best she was every bit as good as Lizabeth Scott.

Six+Sondheim+New+York+Premiere+Arrivals+

Dahl in 2013, at the "Six By Sondheim" premiere

POMPEII was ... good?

Cameron's TITANIC set in ancient Rome? I laughed aloud multiple times at Keifer Sutherland extremely obviously channeling Jeremy Irons for whatever reasons amused him personally - his Irons ripoff made me a little giddy - but otherwise, it was a truly horrible movie, wasn't it?

Good. Hollywood has forgotten how to make classic films. Maybe they will now get the message. 

I think the last new movie I saw was HUGO, and that left no lasting impression on me either. I was thinking of seeing the Godzilla movie when it came to second run theaters, but it died a quick death-meaning it must have been really awful despite the hoopla.

The problem is, those who finance the making of a movie are not those in the creative aspects of making a movie-as it's always been. Artists like Woody Allen have a set of regular backers who will finance anything he wants to make or "say", an exception that shows good films can still be made. 

Gosh, Hitchcock proved with PSYCHO, a great film can be made without huge budgets!

The financiers will only back films they think are a sure bet; "Every baby boomer will bring their kids to see a 3 Stooges/Beverly Hillbillies/comic book charactor update". 

They are so out of touch with real people, real emotions they low ball their thinking by using demographics.

I have actually experimented with this on a personal art level: every art show I participate in, my paintings incorporate a raven, gravestone, full moon, etc. Gravestones ALWAYS sell, no matter how good or bad the painting itself is. Ravens, if depicted as evil will always sell-ravens pictured as playful will not. Sure, I'd love to ALWAYS sell paintings, but it severely limits my expression of what I want to say with my artwork.

Thank goodness we went through an "indie" filmmaking period that brought us filmmakers like Wes Anderson who can make decent and artistic films. We need more of them and fewer dull formula films. Great acting will follow.

I really don't understand who payed money to see a three hour toy commercial "Transformers Will Never End" or 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turltles on Steroids".  Summer blockbusters are aimed at the action crown who studios think will see anything which has explosions ( it blew up real good! real good!)   I just saw "Magic in the Moonlight" minor Woody Allen, but it does have beautiful scenery ( it's set in the south of France) the truly enchanting Emma Stone and has plenty of old fashion pleasures that TCM fans might enjoy...it's a movie vacation.

Oh yeah, that's it "alright", ND. Uh-huh, all the Millenials out there who make up a sizable percentage of the present movie-going audience are suddenly looking for more sophisticated fare!

(...uh-huh...yeah...sure...THAT'S the reason for this "alright"!!!) LOL 

You're right of course, Dargo, about the millennial demographic in that is all modern hollywood exec-incompetents can see but this won't due for the reat of america. a sizeable **** of the u.s. population was not weaned on sesame street, the electric company or captain planet. at some point motion picture drama and or action-adventure escapism has gotta make some modicum of sense...to everyone and not just a younger ritilin-doped up few. hollywood should be playing to all of us and not just replicants, goths and gamer-freakozoids. :)

I love escapism just as much as anyone but this contemporary stuff is just nuts in my view. none of it makes any kind of rational sense. Why is so much of todays films so jabberwocky-ish? Simple. Because todays hollywood "filmmakers" don't really believe in anything. Nothin'! Right or wrong or good vs. evil. and their approach to human interpersonal relationships is an amoral one. so just how much longer can older generational americans be expected to digest this HS?

The problem is, those who finance the making of a movie are not those in the creative aspects of making a movie-as it's always been. Artists like Woody Allen have a set of regular backers who will finance anything he wants to make or "say", an exception that shows good films can still be made.

Not all of Woody Allen's ideas and films are good, however.

You're right of course, Dargo, about the millennial demographic in that is all modern hollywood exec-incompetents can see but this won't due for the reat of america. a sizeable **** of the u.s. population was not weaned on sesame street, the electric company or captain planet. at some point motion picture drama and or action-adventure escapism has gotta make some modicum of sense...to everyone and not just a younger ritilin-doped up few. hollywood should be playing to all of us and not just replicants, goths and gamer-freakozoids. :)

I love escapism just as much as anyone but this contemporary stuff is just nuts in my view. none of it makes any kind of rational sense. Why is so much of todays films so jabberwocky-ish? Simple. Because todays hollywood "filmmakers" don't really believe in anything. Nothin'! Right or wrong or good vs. evil. and their approach to human interpersonal relationships is an amoral one. so just how much longer can older generational americans be expected to digest this HS?

Now now, ND. First, the Hollywood filmmakers of today DO "believe" in something, and as I'm pretty sure I've mentioned to you previously a while back when then topic inevitably comes up around here..."MONEY"! Yep, that "most American" of concerns. Present day filmmakers in general, just as TikiSoo just pointed out, are seemingly finding it harder and harder to find financing for big budget movies which are more of a gamble to the financiers because the films are either not geared to one of the largest of the movie-going demographic, those "Millennials" who ARE part of "Real America" as you put it, but that it's also harder to get financing for films which don't have a "proven track record" such as sequels provide.

Secondly, I also feel this situation has far LESS to do with any ideas of "right or wrong or good vs evil" but much MORE the idea that the last few generations of Americans have increasingly come from "broken homes" and/or where there is less and less communication taking place between the generation of parents and their children, and which I've always thought presents opportunities for parents to instill a love of history within their children. And when one HAS that love of history and yearning for knowledge of things in the past and before they came into the world, this also often helps develop within them an appreciation for movies which might present ideas expressed in a more thoughtful manner and less so involving non-stop action and outrageous special effects.

Add to this the idea that young people today have far more and different electronic means in which to separate themselves from communicating with their parents, which of course ironically SEEMS counter-intuitive, and that parents now days seem quite okay with and well, I guess what I'm sayin' here once again is:

STOP BLAMIN' HOLLYWOOD! THEY'RE ONLY GIVIN' WHAT THE IDIOTS IN "REAL" AMERICA NOW DAYS WILL PAY TO SEE!!!!

LOL

• Like 1

Now now, ND. First, the Hollywood filmmakers of today DO "believe" in something, and as I'm pretty sure I've mentioned to you previously a while back when then topic inevitably comes up around here..."MONEY"! Yep, that "most American" of concerns. Present day filmmakers in general, just as TikiSoo just pointed out, are seemingly finding it harder and harder to find financing for big budget movies which are more of a gamble to the financiers because the films are either not geared to one of the largest of the movie-going demographic, those "Millennials" who ARE part of "Real America" as you put it, but that it's also harder to get financing for films which don't have a "proven track record" such as sequels provide.

Secondly, I also feel this situation has far LESS to do with any ideas of "right or wrong or good vs evil" but much MORE the idea that the last few generations of Americans have increasingly come from "broken homes" and/or where there is less and less communication taking place between the generation of parents and their children, and which I've always thought presents opportunities for parents to instill a love of history within their children. And when one HAS that love of history and yearning for knowledge of things in the past and before they came into the world, this also often helps develop within them an appreciation for movies which might present ideas expressed in a more thoughtful manner and less so involving non-stop action and outrageous special effects.

Add to this the idea that young people today have far more and different electronic means in which to separate themselves from communicating with their parents, which of course ironically SEEMS counter-intuitive, and that parents now days seem quite okay with and well, I guess what I'm sayin' here once again is:

STOP BLAMIN' HOLLYWOOD! THEY'RE ONLY GIVIN' WHAT THE IDIOTS IN "REAL" AMERICA NOW DAYS WILL PAY TO SEE!!!!

LOL

Yeah, but at everyone else's expense. why do young adults hafta be mutated turtles? what girls are gonna make it with 'em? tomboys with a reptile fetish? :)

Yeah, but at everyone else's expense. why do young adults hafta be mutated turtles? what girls are gonna make it with 'em? tomboys with a reptile fetish? :)

I think all the remakes are filmmakers (mostly the horrible Michael Bay, since he's responsible for ruining my beloved Transformers and now Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, my other favorite cartoon from childhood) who are trying to bring in those who grew up with these cartoons by "modernizing" them.  Presumably, many of these people who grew up with these cartoons in the 80s and 90s have children and will inevitably bring their kids to show them what "mommy/daddy" used to watch when they were little; and also these films act like some sort of nostalgia.  Except for in Bay's case, he is taking away everything that made these cartoons fun and turning them into showcases for the horribly untalented Megan Fox.  By casting Megan Fox, he's able to also bring in all the teenage boys and young men who will buy tickets just to ogle Fox.  This most recent Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is an abomination.  I haven't seen it and have no plans to, but I have heard about if from those who have seen it and share the same affinity for the original cartoon as I do.  Personally, I was always slightly creeped out when they made the original live action 'Ninja Turtles' in the early 90s, but at least those movies kept in the spirit of the original cartoon. 

There are more of my beloved childhood cartoons that are in talks to be "updated" and made into films.  I feel like if someone wants to revisit these characters out of nostalgia or wants to expose a younger generation of children to cartoons that they loved when they were little, they should just watch the original.  Many people might not be like me who still watches cartoons and may actually own some of their old cartoons (lol) but I'm sure many of these shows are on DVD and/or Netflix at this point. 

These studios are just trying to squeeze out every last cent out of franchise they can until they've ran it into the ground so far that the films fail to produce a profit.  When that happens, then they'll move onto the next thing they can exploit.

I just want to say, as someone who was born closer to the beginning of the Millennial Generation, that not everyone is only interested in these bland shoot 'em up action films.  People my age and younger do appreciate original work and storylines-- these films just need to be made.  However, unless these films feature major stars or somehow manages to attain some sort of cult status while it's still in theaters, it seems that smaller films have a harder time attracting an audience and turning a profit.  Those who are backing and financing a film don't care about the message of the film, the artistry, or any of that-- they want a return on their investment. 

So who told them to write off everyone in their 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s???

Guardians of the Galaxy just may not be quite enough to cut it for the Mike and Carol Brady's of America and their families. :)

I watched "Battleship" (2012) last night (nothing else was on) and it's much like the films of 2014, fair to poor.  It does have a good message in that we should not write off the old tech, it might come on handy some day.  Nice that they used WWII veterans and recently wounded veterans in the film. 

http://www.film2fact.com/2012/05/battleship.html

It's also a matter of economics these big budget fx heavy film cost so much money to produce that they must have an international appeal- China is a huge market now- everyone understands explosions - witty scripts are harder to translate.   And don't get me wrong I love big action movies when they are well made "Aliens", "The Terminator" are classics of the genre.  But a lot of new films simply recycle old ideas and what once seeme new- the Marvel super heroes ect- no have a formula when I sat through the last Ironman movie I had a feeling I had already seen it. 

.... But a lot of new films simply recycle old ideas and what once seeme new- the Marvel super heroes ect- no have a formula when I sat through the last Ironman movie I had a feeling I had already seen it. 

For me, the same can be said for video games. Shoot up zombies, aliens or enemy soldiers.  This is why the older generation made during the 80's and 90's are neater - never got bored of them.  I won't throw away my money on this "modern" stuff. Oh, I know it's trendy to own the latest X Box.

games.jpg