Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PLANET OF THE APES Double Feature on September 7

HoldenIsHere

I'm looking forward to TCM's airing of PLANET OF THE APES and BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES on  September 7.

I hope they eventually air the remaining movies to complete the saga.

I'm also loving the promos for the double feature that TCM is running.

One of the promos pays homage to "Planet Of The Apes: The Musical" from THE SIMPSONS via a "Dr. Zaius" riff.

Robert Osborne's comment that Charleton Heston appeared in BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES without pay was interesting.

Actors often will appear in movies today "uncredited," but I doubt any of them do so without pay.

The trivia section at the IMDB says Heston donated his salary to charity but does not say which charity.

Related to subtext in films there is clearly an anti-religious theme to the movies,  especially an anti-Christian one.  

e.g.  where the apes (really the Orangutan leaders), say that the creator (god),  created them in his image.   To me this is mocking that concept that man was created in the image of some higher power.

There are many comments related to science and obtaining knowledge and the fact the leaders do not wish to explore issues because doing so would violate what the secret scrolls and ancient have indicated etc...   

When the first movie was released I wonder if there was any push back from religious groups and if the film wasn't played in certain areas of the country.

Related to subtext in films there is clearly an anti-religious theme to the movies,  especially an anti-Christian one.  

e.g.  where the apes (really the Orangutan leaders), say that the creator (god),  created them in his image.   To me this is mocking that concept that man was created in the image of some higher power.

There are many comments related to science and obtaining knowledge and the fact the leaders do not wish to explore issues because doing so would violate what the secret scrolls and ancient have indicated etc...   

When the first movie was released I wonder if there was any push back from religious groups and if the film wasn't played in certain areas of the country.

The movie "Noah" (2014) had a scene that blew me away - the story of creation told by Noah.  It showed a merge of Genesis and The Big Bang theory.  Evolution stopped with the monkeys swinging in the trees.

Man as a separate created entity portrayed in divine light (Adam and Eve).  Amazing this was the work of director Darren Aronofsky, a self proclaim atheist.  He actually got some things right. :)  

Regarding "Beneath Planet of The Apes"

Lesson No 1... To prevent end of world by Cobalt Bomb, avoid time travel.

This should take care of those damn dirty apes.

A-o2.jpg

truth is this ape cycle played itself out 40 years ago. alright, you have the first 2 films that lay the groundwork for a humanity destroyed by nuclear war. 2nd film you have these mutated underground scarred mutants with formidable illusionary powers who pray and sing to a doomsday missile. wouldn't have gone there myself. no, sir. the black mutant before gettin' Taylor and Brent to scrap with each other says they get their enemies to kill each other...but why should these mutated humans (with poor choral skills I might add) consider Taylor and Brent enemies? Both time-traveled from the past. the mutants understood that. two living relics of the past long defunct human civilization that built the bomb they now worship. so why consider them enemies? they fear the apes but why fear let alone be so inhospitable towards two time-traveled humans from 2000 years ago? seems like them mutants were a bit frayed upstairs. so taylor goes ahead and nukes the planet. the 3rd film although quite fanciful and entertaining (in the beginning) is pure hogwash. no way some chimps coulda raised a sunken spaceship and figured out an advanced human technology let alone repair it. thought the 3rd film muddled itself with Dr. Hesslein (Eric Braeden) deciding to prevent humanity's fall to the apes by murdering zira, cornelius and their unborn chimp was a big distraction. zira and cornelius doan wanna spill the beans about humanity's future but of course they doan see their unborn son's part in it depicted in the final 2 films which killed the series. so which is it? a future ape uprising against their taskmastering human captors or a nuclear holocaust?...which never happens. so much for the first 2 films. the latter last 2 awful ape films effectively undermine the first 2 ape films. smart. problem is the 2nd film was too muddled and they tried to reverse that with the 3rd one. beneath the planet of the apes shoulda been a simple survival story with Brent and Nova with the nice NYC subterranean ruins matte shots but without the sonic mutated humans HS. nothing can ruin a film faster than clueless mutated humans. :D

The trivia section at the IMDB says Heston donated his salary to charity but does not say which charity.

Howdy TB, the TCM article on "Beneath" by Richard Harland Smith states Heston donated his salary to his son's prep school "Charlton Heston donated his entire SAG minimum salary to his son Frazer's preparatory school":

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article.html?isPreview=&id=1028011|1008798&name=Beneath-the-Planet-of-the-Apes

That's Fraser Heston (Frazer?):

http://filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/special-guests/fraser-heston/

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to TCM's airing of PLANET OF THE APES and BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES on  September 7.

I hope they eventually air the remaining movies to complete the saga.

Howdy HiH,

Yes, when I was a kid I saw the movies in the local theatre. Quality took a nose-dive starting with "Beneath the Planet of the Apes":

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/beneath_the_planet_of_the_apes/

and I can understand why Charlton Heston wasn't interested in continuing with the franchise, except for his cameo in "Beneath."

They were great campy fun for kids back in the day...

Yes, when I was a kid I saw the movies in the local theatre. Quality took a nose-dive starting with "Beneath the Planet of the Apes":

I don't know about that. I thought the first one was a ridiculous piece of crap. At least the 2nd one had a more intriguing story, what with the mutant survivors and all - quite a cast playing them. A lot less Heston was a bonus too.

truth is this ape cycle played itself out 40 years ago. alright, you have the first 2 films that lay the groundwork for a humanity destroyed by nuclear war. 2nd film you have these mutated underground scarred mutants with formidable illusionary powers who pray and sing to a doomsday missile. wouldn't have gone there myself. no, sir. the black mutant before gettin' Taylor and Brent to scrap with each other says they get their enemies to kill each other...but why should these mutated humans (with poor choral skills I might add) consider Taylor and Brent enemies? Both time-traveled from the past. the mutants understood that. two living relics of the past long defunct human civilization that built the bomb they now worship. so why consider them enemies? they fear the apes but why fear let alone be so inhospitable towards two time-traveled humans from 2000 years ago? seems like them mutants were a bit frayed upstairs. so taylor goes ahead and nukes the planet. the 3rd film although quite fanciful and entertaining (in the beginning) is pure hogwash. no way some chimps coulda raised a sunken spaceship and figured out an advanced human technology let alone repair it. thought the 3rd film muddled itself with Dr. Hesslein (Eric Braeden) deciding to prevent humanity's fall to the apes by murdering zira, cornelius and their unborn chimp was a big distraction. zira and cornelius doan wanna spill the beans about humanity's future but of course they doan see their unborn son's part in it depicted in the final 2 films which killed the series. so which is it? a future ape uprising against their taskmastering human captors or a nuclear holocaust?...which never happens. so much for the first 2 films. the latter last 2 awful ape films effectively undermine the first 2 ape films. smart. problem is the 2nd film was too muddled and they tried to reverse that with the 3rd one. beneath the planet of the apes shoulda been a simple survival story with Brent and Nova with the nice NYC subterranean ruins matte shots but without the sonic mutated humans HS. nothing can ruin a film faster than clueless mutated humans. :D

If you think that's complicated, look at the plot explanation in the remake.

The movie "Noah" (2014) had a scene that blew me away - the story of creation told by Noah.  It showed a merge of Genesis and The Big Bang theory.  Evolution stopped with the monkeys swinging in the trees.

Man as a separate created entity portrayed in divine light (Adam and Eve).  Amazing this was the work of director Darren Aronofsky, a self proclaim atheist.  He actually got some things right. :)  

I should have made it clear that the intent of my post was to NOT discuss what is 'right' as it relates to religious theories  (so even with your emoticon one could say you're pushing an agenda).

Again,  the point was if there was push back from religious groups to statements made in the Ape movies that might offend those that believe in said theories.    Also,  Heston starred in some major Christian themed movies.    So I wonder what he felt about those statements.   Did Heston just take the POV of 'while I don't agree with those statements,  hey, this is a fantasy movie,  I'm an actor that is just playing a role,  so I have no issues with those statements'. 

the TCM article on "Beneath" by Richard Harland Smith states Heston donated his salary to his son's prep school "Charlton Heston donated his entire SAG minimum salary to his son Frazer's preparatory school":

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article.html?isPreview=&id=1028011|1008798&name=Beneath-the-Planet-of-the-Apes

That's Fraser Heston (Frazer?):

http://filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/special-guests/fraser-heston/

Thanks Randy. That makes a lot more sense than Heston simply not getting paid for his work in the movie, which was more than just a brief cameo.

I don't know about that. I thought the first one was a ridiculous piece of crap. At least the 2nd one had a more intriguing story, what with the mutant survivors and all - quite a cast playing them. A lot less Heston was a bonus too.

I think the 2nd one coulda used more Heston. which remnant of humanity is it? animal skin-clad clowns and their babes or mutants? you might be right about the first one. why would three guys and a babe go off into space not only on what was suppose to be a one-way time-trek but to another star system?  that one guy lamenting his wife and kids, why did he elect to go for then? these guys were suppose to be u.s. astronauts therefore they shoulda been more heroic but hey whatta ya want. it was based on a french guys novel. :lol:

Ther original film is a masterpiece of science fiction adventure and social satire none of the later movies (or the lame brame re-makes ) have matched the biting wit of Rod Serling's screenplay.  It would be interesting if somone went back to the original movie and created a different sequel. It could still be done because time travel is involve- the second movie is good and I do like those mutants who were obviously nuts.

• Like 2

Ther original film is a masterpiece of science fiction adventure and social satire none of the later movies (or the lame brame re-makes ) have matched the biting wit of Rod Serling's screenplay.  It would be interesting if somone went back to the original movie and created a different sequel. It could still be done because time travel is involve- the second movie is good and I do like those mutants who were obviously nuts.

Instead of a sequel how about a remake but one with a major twist.    A group of explorers find a tribe of ape like 'men' deep in the heart of Africa.    The tribe's DNA determines that they are NOT men but related more to other current primates as well as the missing link.  These beings can read, write and speak since they are just as intelligent as man.

A group of people is hired by a major religion to destroy this tribe and all the evidence that they exist because the facts related to this tribe contradict well established religious theories related to mankind and the earth. 

How should man treat the beings in this tribe?   Put them in a zoo?   Treat them like they are part of mankind?  

Howdy HiH,

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/beneath_the_planet_of_the_apes/

and I can understand why Charlton Heston wasn't interested in continuing with the franchise, except for his cameo in "Beneath."

They were great campy fun for kids back in the day...

Yeah, well, I think the primary fun I HAD back then while watching this flick was recognizing the guy who played the leader of the mutants as the very SAME guy who was was pluggin' Michelob beer AND Pontiac cars on my TV set back then TOO...

Mendez_XXVI.JPG

...namely, actor Paul Richards.

Yep, I remember half-thinkin' at the time that he was gonna suddenly stop mid-sentence while condemning Franciscus to death and ask him if before sentence is passed, "Would you care for a one final drink of Anheuser-Busch's Finest before we take care of business here?"

(...couldn't think how to fit a reference about a GTO into this...sorry)

FYI-- This double feature will be repeated on December 30th. 

Although some have remarked that the later movies are not as good, I wish TCM would air the remaining movies in the saga.

I especially would like to see Sal Mineo in his role as the ape that escapes with Zira and Cornelius before the bomb destroys Earth.

Although some have remarked that the later movies are not as good, I wish TCM would air the remaining movies in the saga.

I especially would like to see Sal Mineo in his role as the ape that escapes with Zira and Cornelius before the bomb destroys Earth.

A few years ago they were all airing on FMC (now FXM Retro)...so I think that is the place to look for those later sequels.

The best part of Planet of the Apes to me is all the fabulous southern Utah scenery on and around Lake Powell at the beginning.  I love the the stunning Utah desert where they filmed.  If you haven't been to southern Utah get there.  I love it.  As for the Ape franchise movies, they do little for me.

You know, PLANET OF THE APES THE MUSICAL (not to mention STREETCAR!, in which Marge and Ned Flanders starred) probably seemed like a ridiculous idea way back when that particular episode of THE SIMPSONS first aired (Phil Hartman was still alive, so it was at least 15 years ago), but today, old movies are getting turned into musicals at an alarming rate, everything from SUNSET BOULEVARD to ROCKY. I just saw an ad for FROM HERE TO ETERNITY THE MUSICAL, no kidding.

Of course, back in the day, you made a musical first, and then Hollywood came along. There was usually some sort of clause when a film studio bought the rights that they had to wait a year or longer to begin filming or release the film, because Broadway wanted the show to have made its primary box office before people could just go see it on the big screen.

These days and for quite a long time now, actually, Broadway seems virtually devoid of original ideas. Everything's either an adaptation of a movie, a TV show, a comic book or the works of a pop/rock songwriter.

(I guess the same argument could be made about most Hollywood product, what with all the super-hero films and adaptations of dystopian novels with teenage protagonists)