Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why isn't TCM airing it in widescreen?

TopBilled

What a terrible print of THE BIG LAND. Not only should it be airing in the widescreen format, the copy they are using is not clean and not easy to view in many scenes. They should have used another film for his tribute if they only had this print of THE BIG LAND available to them. 

Why didn't they pick THE MCCONNELL STORY, which aired in May for June Allyson's tribute? That went over quite well with viewers, it is in the Turner Library, and it has a beautifully restored print.

What a terrible print of THE BIG LAND. Not only should it be airing in the widescreen format, the copy they are using is not clean and not easy to view in many scenes. They should have used another film for his tribute if they only had this print of THE BIG LAND available to them. 

Why didn't they pick THE MCCONNELL STORY, which aired in May for June Allyson's tribute? That went over quite well with viewers, it is in the Turner Library, and it has a beautifully restored print.

I still can't figure out why tcm won't smilebox significant cinerama films like 2001: A Space Odyssey and Ice Station Zebra.

And Shane is on MOVIES! tomorrow nite. :lol:

Both the IMDB and the Warner Archive web sites list the original aspect ratio for The Big Land as 1.37:1, so perhaps the correct format was shown for this case.  (Note that even though the Warner Archive page shows a widescreen preview, this is generated by cropping the top and bottom of a fullscreen image.  I verified this by comparing it with my TCM recording.)

Both the IMDB and the Warner Archive web sites list the original aspect ratio for The Big Land as 1.37:1, so perhaps the correct format was shown for this case.  (Note that even though the Warner Archive page shows a widescreen preview, this is generated by cropping the top and bottom of a fullscreen image.  I verified this by comparing it with my TCM recording.)

Yes, I think you may be right about THE BIG LAND. But the other one, THE DEEP SIX, had a theatrical aspect ratio of 1:85 to 1 and should have been shown in widescreen. Yesterday, the Carroll Baker flick SOMETHING WILD aired, and I don't think it should have been presented in full screen format either.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings