Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Cult of the Cobra" (1955)

Effective horror thriller which was oviously influenced by "Cat People"- as a Cobra woman stalks five men who dared witness her secret ritual.   I'm surprise Universal did not make  this one in 3-D that snake jumping out at the audience would have been cool.

Effective horror thriller which was oviously influenced by "Cat People"- as a Cobra woman stalks five men who dared witness her secret ritual.   I'm surprise Universal did not make  this one in 3-D that snake jumping out at the audience would have been cool.

I was just thinking of that enjoyable film, because yesterday I watched (on YouTube) as trashy and low-budget a horror film as you can find: The Snake Woman (1961).  Very creepy and fun, and not nearly as high-class as the Cult of the Cobra! They both actually have a lot in common with The Reptile, though the latter is really posh by comparison.

Wow!  Two others who enjoy "Cult of the Cobra"!  I recently watched this again, and it's still enjoyable.  I can't think of another movie where Richard Long is the male lead.  He should have become a bigger star in Hollywood, with his great looks and his talent.  Too bad he had to wait until he went to television to become more of a household name.  I'll always think of him as Jarrod Barkley on The Big Valley.  Anyway, I think this movie is well done.  And what a great idea that would have been to film this in 3-D.  Universal really knew how to make great horror stories.

Terrence.   

I need to watch CULT OF THE COBRA one of these days.  I think Richard Long had a sizeable part in 1958's HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL. 

I remember seeing re-runs of MATCH GAME '74 and Richard Long guested as a panelist just a few months before he died.  He talked briefly about the Tv movie he'd just completed (DEATH CRUISE). 

Mr. Gorman, thanks for the reminder about Death Cruise.  I remember that TV movie.  It had several big names in it, as I recall, including Celeste Holm.  And yes, I think you'd enjoy "Cult of the Cobra."  And you're right about his part in "House on Haunted Hill."  Even though Vincent Price is top-billed, Richard's part is just as sizeable.

Terrence.

Richard Long was also in another Tv movie that aired in early 1974:  THE GIRL WHO CAME GIFT-WRAPPED with Karen Valentine. 

USELESS TRIVIA:  Tom Bosley co-starred in both of Richard Long's 1974 Tv movies.  Bosley also appeared on MATCH GAME '75. 

Interesting how R. Long started out in theatrical movies, but the last 10 years of his life were spent exclusively in television productions.  I wonder where his career would have gone if he'd lived longer than just 47 years . . .

That's something to think about, regarding what would have happened to his career had he lived longer.  I want to think that he would have continued to entertain us with many more portrayals.  I remember his last TV series.  I think he was still making it when he died. It was called Thicker Than Water, with Julie Harris.  As I recall, he was sort of a scoundrel in that one, and not the clean-cut image that he so often portrayed.  He had been married to two beautiful Universal starlets:  Mara Corday and Suzan Ball.