Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hester Street (1975)

HelenBaby2

It has been quite some time since I'd seen this film so all I could remember was that Jake was mean to Gitl and carried on with Mamie. It was a pleasure for me to watch this witty film and not only was Carol Kane very good, but I loved all of the performances. The comments were good and mostly about assimilation rather than focusing strictly on their religion. The scenario seemed realistic--I have learned a lot about Orthodox Judaism through movies since the subject interests me.

Speaking of assimilation, I am acquainted with a couple of brothers who go on the TCM cruises. These men grew up in upstate New York. Their parents immigrated from Italy in the thirties. Upon arrival to the States, their parents changed their last name because they were unable to get work and name their children with what I would call good Protestant first names. So it was not a unique thing among immigrant groups.

It has been quite some time since I'd seen this film so all I could remember was that Jake was mean to Gitl and carried on with Mamie. It was a pleasure for me to watch this witty film and not only was Carol Kane very good, but I loved all of the performances. The comments were good and mostly about assimilation rather than focusing strictly on their religion. The scenario seemed realistic--I have learned a lot about Orthodox Judaism through movies since the subject interests me.

Speaking of assimilation, I am acquainted with a couple of brothers who go on the TCM cruises. These men grew up in upstate New York. Their parents immigrated from Italy in the thirties. Upon arrival to the States, their parents changed their last name because they were unable to get work and name their children with what I would call good Protestant first names. So it was not a unique thing among immigrant groups.

My favorite jewish-themed film is Bye Bye, Braverman. :)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings