Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

News: Joan Rivers has died

TopBilled

Her humor and routines weren't for everybody, but I enjoyed her.  She will be missed in my household.

I was a fan and watched The Fashion Police most of the time it was on.   I'm NOT into fashion (my wife would say NOT at ALL!),  but I just loved her humor so I watched anyway (my wife says I only watched to see the girls but that is only half right,  I really liked Joan).

She only was having surgery on her vocal cords.  Proves that there is no such thing as a simple operation. I were having a bad feeling about her hospitalization due to her age.  RIP.

She was facing her death with humor.  Her quote...

rb05e9.png

she was also the narrative voice of 'letter man'; a cartoon segment of the children's program 'electric company'.

one of the best comediennes ever.

crying.gif

She was a delight! Although she was primarily a TV performer, I remember seeing her in theatrical film; "The Swimmer" with Burt Lancaster.

RIP Joan :(

imo Phyllis Diller was much funnier.

I always thought the two were interchangeable.  Two comics doing similar Schtick.  In my youth, I couldn't understand the self deprication in her humor.  Back in those days she was fairly good looking.  When she'd show up on Ed Sullivan( quite often), my Dad perked up.  HE thought she was "really cute".  BUT, she was funny as hell.  And I AM a fan of "Fashion Police".  Even though I don't give a S H I T about fashion!  It just got FUNNY sometimes.

Gonna MISS you, Joan.  I will always remain....a FASHHOLE!   And my wife, a dedicated "Joan Ranger"

Sepiatone

For those who are interested-- she appears in a 1973 episode of Here's Lucy. It's called 'Lucy and Joan Rivers Do Jury Duty' and is a spoof of 12 ANGRY MEN.  

Lucy is the lone dissenting vote and Joan tries getting Lucy to come over to everyone else's side. Because they cannot reach a verdict, they are put up in a hotel and the two wind up as temporary roommates. Highly recommended!

For those who are interested-- she appears in a 1973 episode of Here's Lucy. It's called 'Lucy and Joan Rivers Do Jury Duty' and is a spoof of 12 ANGRY MEN.  

Lucy is the lone dissenting vote and Joan tries getting Lucy to come over to everyone else's side. Because they cannot reach a verdict, they are put up in a hotel and the two wind up as temporary roommates. Highly recommended!

• Like 1

I always thought the two were interchangeable.  Two comics doing similar Schtick.  In my youth, I couldn't understand the self deprication in her humor.  Back in those days she was fairly good looking.  When she'd show up on Ed Sullivan( quite often), my Dad perked up.  HE thought she was "really cute".  BUT, she was funny as hell.  And I AM a fan of "Fashion Police".  Even though I don't give a S H I T about fashion!  It just got FUNNY sometimes.

Gonna MISS you, Joan.  I will always remain....a FASHHOLE!   And my wife, a dedicated "Joan Ranger"

Sepiatone

I too admit I found Joan Rivers quite funny at times.

I am heartbroken and in shock

and yes she was 81 but her age just doesn't enter into the picture she was timeless

a lot of people say horrible things about her but her sense of humour could just rench you out of a mood

there will never be another person like her and she will be missed

omg :angry::(:o

Actually, as sad and tragic as the whole thing is, I can't help but notice the SCARY part.

Scary for ME because I was hospitalized recently for what MY doctor calls a "warning stroke".

What I find scary is that if you think about it, Joan's incident sounds like a scene out of the Georg C. Scott movie, "THE HOSPITAL",  In which a man, Bernard Hughes, goes into the hospital for some routine test and winds up near death and supposedly comatose.

Joan, as well, was just getting some procedure on her vocal cords that her doctors probably assured her was "just routine".

Sepiatone

Joan, as well, was just getting some procedure on her vocal cords that her doctors probably assured her was "just routine"

This is why they still call it "Medical Science".

Everyone has seemed to forgotten that whenever any doctor goes into a surgery anything can happen when the human body is being operated on. My wife Annie had a complete ankle replacement surgery on her left ankle almost one year ago. The surgeon told us up front that based on the MRI and other imagery tests that her ankle was in really bad shape and that just removing the old ankle would take over two hours and then another two hours to install the new titanium ankle.

When he got in there he found that her old ankle was completely depressed and it only took a 1/2 hour to remove the old ankle and just another 2 hours to place the new ankle in it's place.

So a 4 to five hour surgery was averted simply because the surgeon did NOT have all the answers from what he was seeing on imagery scans.

Good comments. 

At this point we do not know if Joan's distress during surgery was related to what the doctors were doing. I think an official investigation has been launched into the extenuating circumstances of this case. If it truly was her time to go, then her going into cardiac arrest could have happened anywhere at any time. At least it happened in the presence of medical personnel and it sounds like everything possible was done to save her life.

Good comments. 

At this point we do not know if Joan's distress during surgery was related to what the doctors were doing. I think an official investigation has been launched into the extenuating circumstances of this case. If it truly was her time to go, then her going into cardiac arrest could have happened anywhere at any time. At least it happened in the presence of medical personnel and it sounds like everything possible was done to save her life.

It appears by what I've read, Joan simply had a bad reaction to the anesthesia,  which according the Mayo Clinic, represents about 10.8% of all cardiac arrest.  Operations, even the  simple ones carries the 'risk of the procedure'.

Lawsuits (which usually happens) don't lessen the risk but raises the cost of medical care which has already spiraled out of control.

I read that Joan passed away while I was on vacation.  It seems that every time I go on vacation, a fairly well known celebrity passes away. 

Anyway, I digress...

While I can't call myself a major Joan Rivers fan; I always thought she was really funny.  Even in her sometimes absurd Red Carpet shows that she and her daughter Melissa used to do.  I'd always watch Joan Rivers' coverage; because she would say out loud the things about celebrities' outfits that I'd be saying at home.  I don't know how Rivers even got into the Fashion Police game; but she was hilarious and in my opinion, it's not like she was more fashion forward than those she was criticizing; but her delivery was hilarious.

I loved watching her old interviews on YouTube where she was a guest host for Johnny Carson.  I recently watched this one with Lucille Ball.  The interview was from the mid 80s, I believe Lucy was promoting her made for TV movie Stone Pillow and agreed to fit Rivers in between engagements.  Lucy literally came on stage holding her purse and everything telling Rivers that she had like 15 minutes tops for their interview.  Lucy was very gracious and answered all of Rivers' questions honestly and succinctly.  It was apparent that Rivers and Ball and a deep regard for one another.  Finally 15 minutes were up and Ball grabbed her stuff and said she had to go.  Rivers tried to ask Ball more questions to get her to stay and Lucy very politely thanked her and said she had to go.  Lucy didn't mess around.

I'll miss Joan Rivers.  It's a shame that she wasn't able to recover from what sounded like a routine operation.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings