Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER

HoldenIsHere

If memory serves it was discovered just a couple years ago Loretta Lynn was born in 1932 and not 1934 or '35.  I had some old Almanacs from the '80s and '90s and her birth year was listed as '1934' and then '1935'.  So she was 15 when she got married to Mooney in early '48 and not 12 or 13.  

If memory serves it was discovered just a couple years ago Loretta Lynn was born in 1932 and not 1934 or '35.  I had some old Almanacs from the '80s and '90s and her birth year was listed as '1934' and then '1935'.  So she was 15 when she got married to Mooney in early '48 and not 12 or 13.  

Are you sure her revised age wasn't faked so she appeared to be married at 15?    This was done once society started to reject the idea of 12 or 13 year old girls getting married (since in most cases true consent wasn't granted).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2146691/Loretta-Lynn-did-marry-13-years-older-claimed-according-new-documents.html

So the movie posters are in error.

2ag97vo.jpg

Aaaaa!  You beat me to it!  I was going to start a thread on this move.  Just wanting to express my high admiration for Sissy Spacek.  One of the truly great American actresses.  Don't know what kept her from super stardom like some others who did not merit it as she did.  Maybe her looks didn't fit the conventional standards.  Maybe she chose, or was offered, roles that kept her from it.  Who knows?

Anyway, about Coal Miner's Daughter.  It's an above-average bio-pic.  It has more than the simple rote expositon of the event's in Loretta Lynn's life, even if it does slip into the conventional now and then.  I credit the script and the director, Michael Apted, for that.  Still, the only reason to watch, and enjoy, this movie is Miss Spacek's performance.  I swear at times you can see Loretta Lynn peering out from behind her face.  And she's no mean singer.  The other worthwhile thing is Beverly D'Angelo's super nova intense portrayal of Patsy Cline.  There's always a danger in portraying a brilliant performer.  After all, they are famous precisely because they have such rare ability (who are you going to find to do a bio-pic about Barbara Streisand?).  Well, you have to get someone who is equally extraordinary.  In this case, the choice of Miss Spacek and D'Angelo was genius.

• Like 1

To market the movie it makes total sense why the studio might lie and say she was younger than she really was.    Of course maybe the studio's research indicated she was 13.     To me if her age was changed by herself or family members it was done to improve her image or that of her craddle robbing first husband.

Aaaaa!  You beat me to it!  I was going to start a thread on this move.  Just wanting to express my high admiration for Sissy Spacek.  One of the truly great American actresses.  Don't know what kept her from super stardom like some others who did not merit it as she did.  Maybe her looks didn't fit the conventional standards.  Maybe she chose, or was offered, roles that kept her from it.  Who knows?

I agree. Sissy Spacek is one the greatest American film actresses. Her family was more important to her than her career (she and husband Jack Fisk --they met during the making of BADLANDS-- chose to make their home in Virginia rather than southern California) so she only accepted roles that were important to her.

Her work in IN THE BEDROOM was phenomenal.

Aaaaa!  You beat me to it!  I was going to start a thread on this move.  Just wanting to express my high admiration for Sissy Spacek.

That makes many of us, I'm sure.  Sissy is truly special.  Judy Davis, who also shuns the Hollywood spotlight and stays in Australia with her husband,  is about the only actress over the past 40-odd years I'd put in Spacek's category for a combination of talent and charisma.

Her work in IN THE BEDROOM was phenomenal.

I think it's one of the shortest performances to be nominated for an Oscar (in terms of minutes on screen). 

Getting back to COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER, I read somewhere that Loretta Lynn was impressed with all of Sissy's singing (Sissy did the entire soundtrack and for whatever reason the producers/studio did not use Lynn's actual recordings)-- EXCEPT for the title track, which is Lynn's most famous tune. She did not think Sissy performed it correctly. Overall, she was happy with the film.

Anyway, about Coal Miner's Daughter.  It's an above-average bio-pic.  It has more than the simple rote expositon of the event's in Loretta Lynn's life, even if it does slip into the conventional now and then.  I credit the script and the director, Michael Apted, for that.  Still, the only reason to watch, and enjoy, this movie is Miss Spacek's performance.  I swear at times you can see Loretta Lynn peering out from behind her face.  And she's no mean singer.  The other worthwhile thing is Beverly D'Angelo's super nova intense portrayal of Patsy Cline.  There's always a danger in portraying a brilliant performer.  After all, they are famous precisely because they have such rare ability (who are you going to find to do a bio-pic about Barbara Streisand?).  Well, you have to get someone who is equally extraordinary.  In this case, the choice of Miss Spacek and D'Angelo was genius.

Y'know, my WIFE once asked WHY they didn't get D'Angelo to reprise her Cline role for the PATSY CLINE bio pic.  She thought Beverly was more a better fit than Jessica Lange ( or is it just L-a-n-g ?).

Let's not overlook Tommy Lee Jones' portrayal of Doolittle.  Brilliant piece of acting there.

My KIDS loved this movie for some reason,  and insisted at having the soundtrack LP.  It was not until THEN did I discover WILLIE NELSON wrote the song "CRAZY".  I sat down while they played that album and tried picking out the guitar chords to that song.  I was left MORE impressed with Willie Nelson than I was BEFORE that!  Some pretty odd and complex chords in that tune.  I figured out how to play them WITHOUT knowing exactl;y what they were.

Sepiatone

CUBIC ZIRCONIUM

Okay, can't believe I am going to say this-- but I didn't like it. And I loved this movie when I was a kid in the 80s. But looking at it now, over thirty years later, I can't get over how odd it is hearing someone else sing Loretta Lynn's finest tunes. Let's face it-- as good an actress as she is, Sissy Spacek is not going to be appearing at the Grand Ole Opry anytime soon. I don't understand why Universal didn't pony up and just lease the original recordings and have Sissy lip-sync it. Is this a case of an actress' vanity, wanting to impress audiences that she can sing on a par with a Nashville legend?

In a similar vein, I do not like hearing Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon fill in for Johnny & June Carter-Cash in Fox's WALK THE LINE. It sounds phony-- like watching a movie about diamonds, knowing the whole time that the gems on display are actually cubic zirconium.

Look instead at what Touchstone did with the hit film WHAT'S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT-- they knew that as good as Angela Bassett was, a fitting tribute for Tina Turner would be to showcase the songs as originally sung by her. Admittedly, Laurence Fishburne sang Ike's parts, especially on Proud Mary with Tina herself-- but that is understandable given the real-life estrangement of the Turners and the fact that Ike was probably not creatively involved in the film at all. The film was about Tina's story, and it featured her voice on the soundtrack.

Anyway, back to COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER-- a big thumbs down. When I watch something where country superstar Loretta Lynn is the main subject, I want to hear her sing, not a pale vocal imitation. In the same way I would not accept Loretta Lynn acting as Sissy Spacek in a biopic about the actress, I do not accept Sissy singing as Loretta. I want the real thing. Please give the cubic zirconium to someone who doesn't know the difference between the original and the fake.

My KIDS loved this movie for some reason,  and insisted at having the soundtrack LP. 

My sister always preferred the COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER soundtrack versions to the original recordings of the songs featured in the movie.

The arrangements used in the film were definitely smoother than the rougher original recordings.

Sissy Spacek came to New York to become a folk singer, bur her cousin Rip Torn introduced her to the Actor's Studio and she eventually enrolled in the Lee Strasberg Institute . . .  and the rest is history.

Sissy Spacek came to New York to become a folk singer, bur her cousin Rip Torn introduced her to the Actor's Studio and she eventually enrolled in the Lee Strasberg Institute . . .  and the rest is history.

I'd mentioned pairing Coal Miner's Daughter with Cadillac Records at some future date, but maybe an even better double feature would be Coal Miner's Daughter and Payday (1973), where Rip Torn was the lead in a very realistic film about the road life of a country star who was trying to hang on.  At that point in her career, Spacek could have easily played the groupie part that Elayne Heilveil was cast in, though if that'd been done, the seduction scene between Torn and Spacek might've come off as a bit kinky in a Jerry Lee Lewis kinda way. B)

• Like 1

Let's not leave out Tender Mercies which came out only a few years later and won Robert Duvall an Oscar.  He also wrote many of the songs used in the film.  This is one time when Loretta or Sissy would have been an improvement over Betty Buckley who can act but her "singing" was worse than chalk on a blackboard.  

Another choice for a double feature would be George Straight's Gone Country - I think that's the title - with Leslie Ann Warren.  Your Cheatin' Heart has good acting and music but a rather fictionalized story of Hank Williams's life. Hollywood seems to have done right by country music.

Let's not leave out Tender Mercies which came out only a few years later and won Robert Duvall an Oscar.  He also wrote many of the songs used in the film.  This is one time when Loretta or Sissy would have been an improvement over Betty Buckley who can act but her "singing" was worse than chalk on a blackboard.  

In the featurette on the TENDER MERCIES DVD both the director Bruce Beresford and star Robert Duvall lauded Buckley, saying that other actresses they had to choose from could not sing as well as Buckley and that she gave it an air of authenticity.

In the featurette on the TENDER MERCIES DVD both the director Bruce Beresford and star Robert Duvall lauded Buckley, saying that other actresses they had to choose from could not sing as well as Buckley and that she gave it an air of authenticity.

Yes, Betty Buckley is actually more celebrated for her singing than for her acting.

She has many credits in musicals on the New York stage.

Yes, Betty Buckley is actually more celebrated for her singing than for her acting.

She has many credits in musicals on the New York stage.

Exactly.

For trivia buffs: TENDER MERCIES is set (and was filmed) in Texas. Betty Buckley and Sissy Spacek are both native Texans.

For trivia buffs: TENDER MERCIES is set (and was filmed) in Texas. Betty Buckley and Sissy Spacek are both native Texans.

More trivia RE: Sissy Spacek and Betty Buckley

Betty Buckley played Carrie's gym teacher in the movie CARRIE, starring Sissy Spacek in the title role.

In CARRIE: THE MUSICAL, Betty Buckley played Carrie's mother.

• Like 1

Anyway, back to COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER-- a big thumbs down. When I watch something where country superstar Loretta Lynn is the main subject, I want to hear her sing, not a pale vocal imitation. In the same way I would not accept Loretta Lynn acting as Sissy Spacek in a biopic about the actress, I do not accept Sissy singing as Loretta. I want the real thing. Please give the cubic zirconium to someone who doesn't know the difference between the original and the fake.

I couldn't agree less.

I thought Spacek's vocals were close enough to be wholly believable-we ALL know singing voices change over the years and she was depicting Lynn in her earliest years, before any "polishing".

And using your comparison of WHAT'S LOVE GOT... I found Tina's voice booming from Bassett's lips to be rather arresting -it was so obviously lip-synched. Ruined the illusion for me at least.

Beyond the singing/lip singing aspect (which may be as personal of opinion as comedy) I find Spacek one of the greatest actresses of our time. Amazing reading in this thread that acting wasn't her first career choice. 

When this movie came out I thought she was weird & gawky, nothing special. But over time I realize just how talented, dignified and naturally beautiful she really is. Wish all actresses of our day could be of her caliber.

COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER was an impressive start.

• Like 1

I thought Spacek's vocals were close enough to be wholly believable-we ALL know singing voices change over the years and she was depicting Lynn in her earliest years, before any "polishing".

I would close my eyes and listen to the singing-- and it was obvious that it wasn't the real Loretta.

I realized that when I was younger, the reason I liked the film so much was because of the hype and because I was familiar with the catalogue of songs. And Tommy Lee Jones' acting stood out to me. But this time around, when I zeroed in on Spacek, I was very disappointed.

She should have been dubbed and the real vocal tracks used. In a way, it's on a par with Mickey Mouse filling in for Pavarotti. Stop with the cartoon imitation and give us the real thing.

I couldn't agree less.

And using your comparison of WHAT'S LOVE GOT... I found Tina's voice booming from Bassett's lips to be rather arresting -it was so obviously lip-synched. Ruined the illusion for me at least.

Beyond the singing/lip singing aspect (which may be as personal of opinion as comedy) I find Spacek one of the greatest actresses of our time. Amazing reading in this thread that acting wasn't her first career choice. 

I completely agree with you, TikiSoo. 

Angela Bassett's obvious lip synching to Tina Turner was jarring and took me out of the movie as did Jessica Lange's lip synching of Patsy Cline and Jamie Foxx's lip synching of Ray Charles.   

COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER is a better movie because Sissy Spacek did her own singing and comes across as less "fake."

I shudder to think of Spacek  lip synching to some special track recorded by Loretta Lynn for the scene where Loretta is singing "In The Pines" while rocking one of her siblings on the porch of her Butcher Holler home or for the scene where she sings her children to sleep to "The Titanic." The "realness" and spontanaiety of those scenes would've been destroyed by forcing the actor to lip sych. 

Sissy Spacek came to New York to be a folk singer and she has a good singing voice which works for the movie.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings