Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Suggestions for Guest Programmer

He was a guest programmer last October -- I don't recall the exact date.

That's right...thanks. I didn't watch (obviously), but I figured he had to have been a guest. 

I still say they should have the guy who appears as Svengoolie come on (without his regular make-up).

That's right...thanks. I didn't watch (obviously), but I figured he had to have been a guest. 

I still say they should have the guy who appears as Svengoolie come on (without his regular make-up).

Rich Koz. I agree. 

How about Eddie? He's doing a bang up job in the intros to the noirs, has he ever been a guest programmer?

Rich Koz. I agree. 

Thanks...I didn't feel like running to wiki to look up Sven's real name. LOL

The most interesting guest programmer, in my humble opinion, was Bob Newhart. He picked BLOCK-HEADS, a Laurel & Hardy film, which was what one would expect from him. But he also selected SUNSET BOULEVARD. When Osborne asked him why, he said his great fear was being stuck in his Beverly Hills home, become irrelevant and living in the past. He said he makes it a point to continue doing stand-up appearances. So I thought that was quite personalized, that here we have Bob Newhart afraid of ending up like Norma Desmond. 

Thanks...I didn't feel like running to wiki to look up Sven's real name. LOL

The most interesting guest programmer, in my humble opinion, was Bob Newhart. He picked BLOCK-HEADS, a Laurel & Hardy film, which was what one would expect from him. But he also selected SUNSET BOULEVARD. When Osborne asked him why, he said his great fear was being stuck in his Beverly Hills home, become irrelevant and living in the past. He said he makes it a point to continue doing stand-up appearances. So I thought that was quite personalized, that here we have Bob Newhart afraid of ending up like Norma Desmond. 

Cute! I like Bob Newhart, especially his turn on BBT, but hate L&H and have had enough of Sunset Boulevard.

They might try Meatloaf, if they want to shake things up a bit.

• Like 1

Cute! I like Bob Newhart, especially his turn on BBT, but hate L&H and have had enough of Sunset Boulevard.

They might try Meatloaf, if they want to shake things up a bit.

TCM has hardly shown any Laurel & Hardy films lately. Very few Hal Roach comedies this year, in fact. 

Any specific reason why you are not a L&H fan...?

I used to be, as I was a Three Stooges fan, back with Officer Joe Bolton on WPIX a million years ago. Heck, he even had the last Stooge alive on his show, Moe Howard.

Later on, I didn't like the fact that Curley kept getting hit. I don't know why, it started to bother me.

On L&H, I used to like them, and loved the piano up the steps episode. Later on, I didn't like that Stan was the put upon guy, and Oliver was the bully. I found Laurel annoying, and stopped watching. I cringed when Ralph Edwards, whom I loathed, had on Stan and Oliver.

Again, no idea why. Heck, I am not even a big fan of Bud and Lou anymore, and can recite just about all of the dialogue from their television shows. I cut my eye teeth on the Abbott and Costello show. Ditto with The Honeymooners. Both brilliant shows, by the way.

Cynicism that comes with old age? Curmudgeonliness (not a word, but you understand) that comes with message board participation? :D

I used to be, as I was a Three Stooges fan, back with Officer Joe Bolton on WPIX a million years ago. Heck, he even had the last Stooge alive on his show, Moe Howard.

Later on, I didn't like the fact that Curley kept getting hit. I don't know why, it started to bother me.

On L&H, I used to like them, and loved the piano up the steps episode. Later on, I didn't like that Stan was the put upon guy, and Oliver was the bully. I found Laurel annoying, and stopped watching. I cringed when Ralph Edwards, whom I loathed, had on Stan and Oliver.

Again, no idea why. Heck, I am not even a big fan of Bud and Lou anymore, and can recite just about all of the dialogue from their television shows. I cut my eye teeth on the Abbott and Costello show. Ditto with The Honeymooners. Both brilliant shows, by the way.

Cynicism that comes with old age?  

Maybe it's because the initial joy of watching them has worn off. Or maybe because their brand of humor does not hold up well?

I wonder what kids today think about these performers when they see them for the very first time...notice that Essentials Jr. (now called Movie Camp) seems to go with the silent comedians more, like Buster or Charlie.

Maybe it's because the initial joy of watching them has worn off. Or maybe because their brand of humor does not hold up well?

I wonder what kids today think about these performers when they see them for the very first time...notice that Essentials Jr. (now called Movie Camp) seems to go with the silent comedians more, like Buster or Charlie.

Really? Interesting. I always found Keaton and Harold Lloyd brilliant. I can't do silents anymore (for reasons best known only to Tor), but they still take the prize for genius. As I've stated, I hate Chaplin.

Really? Interesting. I always found Keaton and Harold Lloyd brilliant.  

Yes...I think Harold Lloyd is my fave of the silent comedians. I just love him. Maybe it's that classic eyewear of his... :)

Yes...I think Harold Lloyd is my fave of the silent comedians. I just love him. Maybe it's that classic eyewear of his... :)

He...and Tor, of course...moves like a Swiss watch. 

Lloyd's sound films didn't hold up to his silents, but if he had been born later, he would have been even bigger than he was. And he was huge.

His acrobatics, of course, are a joy to behold. His accomplishments with missing fingers and an awful prosthetic glove are amazing. He is even sexy in the silents. Happily, he was also a good businessman and didn't die broke.

• Like 1

Lloyd's sound films didn't hold up to his silents, but if he had been born later, he would have been even bigger than he was. And he was huge.

His acrobatics, of course, are a joy to behold. His accomplishments with missing fingers and an awful prosthetic glove are amazing. He is even sexy in the silents. Happily, he was also a good businessman and didn't die broke.

I agree that Lloyd could have been bigger if he had hit his stride a bit later.

Most people pan the one he made with Preston Sturges, but I kind of like it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

By the way, is Osborne still acting like Bill Cosby was not the first guest programmer...? 

To my knowledge, yes. He  misrepresented this easily verifiable fact in an interview last month and neither Osborne nor TCM have since issued a clarification of any kind. R.O. will also likely (understandably) want to remove the blurb of Cosby praising Osborne from the back of future editions of his Oscar book.

The quote as it appeared on a 2013 edition of 85 Years of the Oscar read:

"I say this softly: the Oscar along with the Academy or the Academy along with the Oscar, could not have a better film historian or human being who loves what the Academy and statuette stands for. -- A friend, Bill Cosby"

• Like 1

To my knowledge, yes. He  misrepresented this easily verifiable fact in an interview last month and neither Osborne nor TCM have since issued a clarification of any kind. R.O. will also likely (understandably) want to remove the blurb of Cosby praising Osborne from the back of future editions of his Oscar book.

"I say this softly: the Oscar along with the Academy or the Academy along with the Oscar, could not have a better film historian or human being who loves what the Academy and statuette stands for. -- A friend, Bill Cosby"

Maybe they'll just change the quote from Bill Cosby to Bing Crosby.

• Like 2

So it's probably safe to say they are not 'friends' anymore.