Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pre-Code Fridays

Janet0312

I hate to leave my spot on the couch, but these flicks are great! I don't know if TCM will be around a hundred years from now, but I betcha these films will survive and make for a very popular history class.

I love to see the backgrounds, the hills of California, the telephone poles, cars going willy nilly across trolley tracks. Very cool stuff!

I love to see the backgrounds, the hills of California, the telephone poles, cars going willy nilly across trolley tracks. Very cool stuff!

I love to see the new homes in "rural" Los Angeles, such as in Hollywood, the farmland of the San Fernando Valley, Burbank, etc. Lots of vacant land and only a few houses.

losangeles252chollywoodlandsign252c1920s

sjff_02_img0703.jpg

• Like 1

I love to see the new homes in "rural" Los Angeles, such as in Hollywood, the farmland of the San Fernando Valley, Burbank, etc. Lots of vacant land and only a few houses.

losangeles252chollywoodlandsign252c1920s

It's beautiful country. No wonder everybody wanted to move out there.

I guess I am going to take the opposing view. When I turned TCM on today I was a little bugged that these are pre-codes we have seen time and again. I'd like to see more early stuff from Paramount and Universal quite frankly. And I don't just mean Mae West. Think of all the precodes we are not seeing and haven't seen in years on TCM...

I guess I am going to take the opposing view. When I turned TCM on today I was a little bugged that these are pre-codes we have seen time and again. I'd like to see more early stuff from Paramount and Universal quite frankly. And I don't just mean Mae West. Think of all the precodes we are not seeing and haven't seen in years on TCM...

For me most of the pre-codes I wanted to see (either because I have never seen them or haven't seen them for a long time),  were on in the early morning hours.   The ones in the later hours has been shown fairly often.   e.g.  Night Nurse was just one a few weeks ago. 

I guess I should be happy that the number of repeats on TCM isn't close to what Fox affiliates like MOVIES show.

• Like 1

Ex-Lady and Virtue were on this morning and Female is on now. I haven't seen either one so as Jamesjazzguitar says the films TCM shows all the time are on tonight.

FEMALE aired a few months ago. VIRTUE was part of Lombard's recent Summer Under the Stars tribute. EX-LADY is the only that doesn't pop up very often (probably because it's one of Davis' lesser vehicles).

Years ago there was a local channel in Boston that had all the Paramount & Universal musicals. I haven't seen them since and that was 40 years ago. The Ritz Brothers, the Andrews Sisters, Mae West, W.C. Fields...

Where the hell are they???

Years ago there was a local channel in Boston that had all the Paramount & Universal musicals. I haven't seen them since and that was 40 years ago. The Ritz Brothers, the Andrews Sisters, Mae West, W.C. Fields...

Where the hell are they???

Yes-- I'd love to see those Andrews Sisters B musicals from Universal (though they were made in the early to mid-40s and are technically not pre-codes).  

1fifi.png

But going back to the pre-codes, why not feature Fifi D'Orsay-- she was a huge star in the early 30s at Fox. People don't even know who she is today. The Friday Night Spotlight could be more instrumental in re-introducing stars like D'Orsay to new audiences. I am not pleased with the selections in this month's program. It's all the biggest names that we have seen before, that everyone already knows about...they are not covering 'new' ground like they could.

imgres-1.jpg

FEMALE aired a few months ago. VIRTUE was part of Lombard's recent Summer Under the Stars tribute. EX-LADY is the only that doesn't pop up very often (probably because it's one of Davis' lesser vehicles).

Ex-Lady is one of the films I wanted to see.   It has been decades since I had seen it.

With regards to Female;   At the end of the picture when they show the First National logo,   I saw an NRA logo.   Was that THE NRA (as in National Rifle Association),  or some other company associated with First National? 

If it was the NRA known so well today,   I wonder why their logo would be there.    e.g. did they sponsor films?   If yes,  I'm surprised there would had been a need to push (market)  the NRA back in the 30s.    NOTE: I don't wish to discuss the NRA agenda from a political POV.  I only want to understand what that NRA logo was about.  

The NRA logo was for a Depression-era agency, the National Recovery Administration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Recovery_Administration

Thank you!    Yea,  it didn't add up that it was the NRA I hear so much about today.

I did google NRA but only found the gun one.   I guess I gave up too soon!   Thanks again. 

i've yet to see 'ex-lady', 'virtue' or 'parachute jumper'.

tcm could've played these in the wee hours of the morning IN LIEU of (the oft regurgitated) 'golddiggers of 1933', 'search for beauty' and 'taxi'.

Ex-Lady and Virtue were on this morning and Female is on now. I haven't seen either one so as Jamesjazzguitar says the films TCM shows all the time are on tonight.

i've yet to see 'ex-lady', 'virtue' or 'parachute jumper'.

tcm could've played these in the wee hours of the morning IN LIEU of (the oft regurgitated) 'golddiggers of 1933', 'search for beauty' and 'taxi'.

But they didn't: they showed them in the morning/afternoon, while Gold Diggers is on at one am...or do you live on the West Coast or something? (And I can't say as I recall Taxi! being on that much either.)

I will briefly carp that Baby Face (1933), while maybe the ultimate Pre-Code has also been given many, many prime time airings over the years (and The Divorcee doesn't lack for showings either). I still watched it, it's a damn compelling film.

Nonetheless, I for one am thrilled to pieces they're doing 24 hour blocks of Pre-Codes and was quite pleased to see Osborne hosting (Baldy I can take or leave.)

Combined with the recent premieres, and the great use of old and new "interstitials" (the between-the-films features, such as the promo for the premiere of the Planet of the Apes movies; the tribute to Loretta Young by Marlo Thomas; the clever little station identification bits) someone in the programming department deserves a gold star.

"Baby Face" is still amusingly raunchy...La Stanwyck gives a powerful perfromance- she was not just a great star but a brilliant movie actor..

The one very good thing about this film is the shared screen time between Babs and Duke. It makes a person wish they had done other films together-- they could have been magnificent in a western. And I certainly think she could have done Hepburn's role in ROOSTER COGBURN with ease.

[...]

Talk about being fippant and rude.    Did you get lessons from Baldwin?    To imply anyone that likes him has 'issues' is an insult.

Yes, please stop your madness.    Anyone that claims to represent the so called mainstream is only fooling themselves. 

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited to remove deleted comments
  • Like 1