Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hatter's Castle

NipkowDisc

Grabbed eleven pieces offa youtube a few months ago and had a DVD on standby but it did not play. so I hadda refine my encoding a tad to get it right. Worked for Hot Spell so it'll work for hatter's castle. whatcha you wanna do is this. always dl youtube videos in mp4 because that's pretty close to an avi. using winavi converter I merged all the pieces into an mpeg2 file. After checking to see that picture and sound were in sync next I re-encoded it with tmpgenc for AR and the desired video bitrate. you should really have the AR ironed out in my view before runnin' something thru tmpgenc. the two elementary streams came out like champs. with the two streams I then let DVDAuthor finish the job. problem with something like nero you doan get no leeway with screen resolution an' I need a non-standard resolution. I get that parameter with tmpgenc using a kdvd template. already burned and may watch it tonite, maybe not. maybe tomorrow nite after monkey time on tcm. :)

I must wonder how many of these programs are free to download and use. I have met people who brag of downloading movies from Internet and making DVDs of them and then to go on to brag of the varied software they purchased to do it. It seems as if they could have purchased most of the DVDs of the movies for what they spent on the programs.

I must wonder how many of these programs are free to download and use. I have met people who brag of downloading movies from Internet and making DVDs of them and then to go on to brag of the varied software they purchased to do it. It seems as if they could have purchased most of the DVDs of the movies for what they spent on the programs.

What you posted reminds me of a conversation in The Maltese Falcon between Brigid and Spade where she tells Spade she has been bad and he tells her not to brag about it.     What you mentioned is illegal.   Ok,  many people do it,  but do they need to brag about doing so? 

everythun on youtube is free an' hatter's castle is a real rare one it be. :)

Let's see what I pay:

DVD recorder:    ±                        $130

DVDs ± 700 @ $20 per 25 =         $560

DVD cases ± 550 @ $6 per 10 =  $330

Total:                                          $1020

Number of films:                       ±1300

Cost per film:                            $ 0.78

Not bad.  Of course,  that's very approximate, and that's not counting the gas I spent to get the stuff, or the cost of my cable.

Now, to get my DVDs onto my computer, I just last night downloaded two free programs; one to rip recorded films from DVDs, and store them as files; and a separate one to play them (they are stored as MKV files-what ever those are).  I don't need those to play the DVDs I record from my TV on my computer, but if I have them as files on my computer, or external hard drive, I can copy them, send them, or watch them on other devices.  Why I would want to, I don't know.

Cost per film:                            $ 0.78

Not bad.  Of course,  that's very approximate, and that's not counting the gas I spent to get the stuff, or the cost of my cable.

Our costs are approx. the same. We use slimline cases which are $9.00 per twenty-five but we in general record only one movie per DVD and so we spend more on blank DVDs than your seven hundred blanks for thirteen-hundred movies.

I have now looked on-line for programs for handling movies on computer. Any which are more than file management or playing seem to be expensive. The free versions I found on several download sites all carry in their reviews warnings re: malware, adware, trojans and other malicious software included in the downloads. 

I did a Google search with 'best dvd ripper for mac.'  One of the first sites was something called lifehacker.  It seems to be a site that looks for and reviews software.  There's a lot of input from visitors.  On one page there was a review for the five best DVD rippers:

http://lifehacker.com/380702/five-best-dvd-ripping-tools

Actually, it was the result of a poll by users who voted on different rippers.  I used the first one, as it was for mac, and it was free.  It's not fast, but it is easy.  Even I was able to figure it out and make it work.  And, as I'm not interested in converting all my DVDs to files, just the odd one I want a clip or still form, it's fine for me.

Here's general info on lifehacker:

http://lifehacker.com/5732066/about-lifehacker

I thank you for that information, slaytonf.

I have visited that site before during searches. 

My greatest personal need concerns the menu which our DVD Recorders make. The menus have a thumbnail picture, title of the movie, date recorded and run-time. That is acceptable when there are multiple movies on one disc. We do not record in that way. The vast majority of our discs have one movie per disc. 

I believe that I need DVD Authoring program because I wish to change that menu to a full-screen image with a single: "Play" button. I would like also to have some DVDs autoplay when inserted.

A secondary personal need is the ability to rip a DVD and write to a new DVD which will not insist on playing commercials prior to reaching the movie. I dislike intensely having to wait eight minutes before being able to watch a movie which I purchased. Disney and Warner Bros. are the worst for this. They have learned also the work-arounds many people used so that they could skip commercials. It was once that you could press: "Stop" and then: "Menu" to reach movie menu but we have DVDs now which do not allow that. It is not possible to fast forward, skip or any other function while commercials play and to stop the play means having to begin again at the beginning of the first commercial. 

I have noted many times in replies such as those on LifeHacker that all free DVD Authoring programs are seriously sub-standard and that quality programs begin at $200.

I have noted many times in replies such as those on LifeHacker that all free DVD Authoring programs are seriously sub-standard and that quality programs begin at $200.

Yes, but you have to understand, the people who comment on these sites to a large extent are whizzes, and could probably have a good go at writing their own programs.  They expect a lot.  So less expensive programs might work fine for you.  It''s possible ripping programs offer a free trial period so you can test them out before you lay down the big bucks.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings