Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Rachel and the Stranger"

suejeanne

Hi, just wanted to ask if a correction is ever needed, will TCM make it?  In the "I remember" segment by Marlo Thomas about Loretta Young, Ms. Thomas said that the character portrayed by Loretta Young in "Rachel and the Stranger" was a mail order bride - as I recall, she was a bondswoman, purchased by widower William Holden to look after his son - they were married but only so that it would be proper, out there in the woods - I guess it doesn't amount to a row of peas or a hill of beans whether "Rachel" was a bondswoman or a mail order bride, but why not just edit out that part if it isn't correct (or have that part fixed) . . . I find myself expecting a higher standard of accuracy for TCM over the History Channel!

Hi, just wanted to ask if a correction is ever needed, will TCM make it?  In the "I remember" segment by Marlo Thomas about Loretta Young, Ms. Thomas said that the character portrayed by Loretta Young in "Rachel and the Stranger" was a mail order bride - as I recall, she was a bondswoman, purchased by widower William Holden to look after his son - they were married but only so that it would be proper, out there in the woods - I guess it doesn't amount to a row of peas or a hill of beans whether "Rachel" was a bondswoman or a mail order bride, but why not just edit out that part if it isn't correct (or have that part fixed) . . . I find myself expecting a higher standard of accuracy for TCM over the History Channel!

Well the higher standard of accuracy really should have come from Marlo.   I don't see a need to edit it out.   To me it shows that even someone like Thomas,  who viewed Young like an aunt,  can forget things and make mistakes.    I.e. what we see is real even if flawed.

As for Rachel;  I think there is a fairly big difference between a mail order bride and the bondswoman Rachel really was.    A mail order bride wants to get married.   i.e. she agrees to be a mail order bride (with the hope that the man that sent the mail isn't a dud!).

Rachel had little to no say in how she ended up being the servant of Holden.   That reality created more tension and bitterness in the relationship.