Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

D.O.A. (1950)

David R

I would like to know if there were two different endings produced for D.O.A. starring Edmond O'Brien.  Most of the versions I see has Frank Bigelow dying in the police station at the end of movie.  However, I could swear that I saw a version of it where he lived. Maybe I'm dreaming this up, but I recall something about he ended up going back to the widow of the man that had been trying to get in touch with him just as he left for vacation and was able to save him just in the nick of time. I don't recall how.

D.O.A. was just recently shown on TCM and I can't get this alternative ending out of my head.I know it's not totally out of the question for a film to have two versions.  Sometimes the audidance doesn't like it when the main character dies at know fault of their own.  We love happy endings and so a second version is cut.  Well, anyway, I just wanted to find out if I'm just wishing for a different ending or if there really was a second version out there.

I would like to know if there were two different endings produced for D.O.A. starring Edmond O'Brien.  Most of the versions I see has Frank Bigelow dying in the police station at the end of movie.  However, I could swear that I saw a version of it where he lived. Maybe I'm dreaming this up, but I recall something about he ended up going back to the widow of the man that had been trying to get in touch with him just as he left for vacation and was able to save him just in the nick of time. I don't recall how.

D.O.A. was just recently shown on TCM and I can't get this alternative ending out of my head.I know it's not totally out of the question for a film to have two versions.  Sometimes the audidance doesn't like it when the main character dies at know fault of their own.  We love happy endings and so a second version is cut.  Well, anyway, I just wanted to find out if I'm just wishing for a different ending or if there really was a second version out there.

D.O.A. is a classic Film Noir.   It is very common for the main character to die in a noir.   This is what fans of noir expect.

Noir films that have happy endings are considered to be cop outs.    

But you're correct that sometimes producers and directors would sell out and create a second ending where the star lives (e.g. daker, more realistic versions were used for Europe while unrealistic happy endings were for the USA).   I really don't think this was the case with D.O.A.    I mean the movie would also need an alterative title if Frank didn't die!  ;)

(e.g. Almost D.O.A.!).

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings