Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jack the Ripper identified as Jewish migrant from Poland, says sleuth

MovieMadness

London (AFP) - Jack the Ripper, one of the most notorious serial killers in history, has been identified as a Jewish emigrant from Poland through DNA traces found on a shawl, claims a sleuth in a book out on Tuesday.

The true identity of Jack the Ripper, whose grisly murders terrorised the murky slums of Whitechapel in east London in 1888, has been a mystery ever since, with dozens of suspects that include royalty and prime ministers down to bootmakers.

But after extracting DNA from a shawl recovered from the scene of one of the killings, which matched relatives of both the victim and one of the suspects, Jack the Ripper sleuth Russell Edwards claims the identity of the murderer is now beyond doubt. He says the infamous killer is Aaron Kosminski, a Jewish emigrant from Poland who worked as a barber.

- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/world/europe/story/jack-the-ripper-identified-jewish-migrant-poland-says-sleuth-20140908#2

Anyone want a close shave? lol.

London (AFP) - Jack the Ripper, one of the most notorious serial killers in history, has been identified as a Jewish emigrant from Poland through DNA traces found on a shawl, claims a sleuth in a book out on Tuesday.

The true identity of Jack the Ripper, whose grisly murders terrorised the murky slums of Whitechapel in east London in 1888, has been a mystery ever since, with dozens of suspects that include royalty and prime ministers down to bootmakers.

But after extracting DNA from a shawl recovered from the scene of one of the killings, which matched relatives of both the victim and one of the suspects, Jack the Ripper sleuth Russell Edwards claims the identity of the murderer is now beyond doubt. He says the infamous killer is Aaron Kosminski, a Jewish emigrant from Poland who worked as a barber.

- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/world/europe/story/jack-the-ripper-identified-jewish-migrant-poland-says-sleuth-20140908#2

Interesting if true.  I always figured it was supremely prudish Queen Victoria sneaking out at night with a medieval broadsword to off a few prostitutes.  Guess this puts my insane theory to rest.  Any gay subtexts to this whole infamous murder mystery of well over a century??  Come on folks spit them out!!  Inquiring minds want to know!!

• Like 1

Interesting if true.  I always figured it was supremely prudish Queen Victoria sneaking out at night with a medieval broadsword to off a few prostitutes.  Guess this puts my insane theory to rest.  Any gay subtexts to this whole infamous murder mystery of well over a century??  Come on folks spit them out!!  Inquiring minds want to know!!

I'll try to find some gay subtext for every thread at this forum just to make you happy.    To me it looks like the standard theory related to those that yell the loudest about gay themes is true in this case.

I'll try to find some gay subtext for every thread at this forum just to make you happy.    To me it looks like the standard theory related to those that yell the loudest about gay themes is true in this case.

So Queen Victoria was in the closet?  My oh my.  Never thought about that. 

A Sweeney Todd sort of barber apparently. Yes, he has been one of the suspects mentioned. But there were others in the suspect pool as well over the years. Still doesnt link him to the other deaths. (if the testing is accurate)............

waitwaitwait a second- the word "****" is censored????

edit- apparently it is. what the hell? in what prurient, filthy, disgusting mind does the Scottish word for "lake" have a dirty meaning?

LOL. The TCM Boards censor..........

waitwaitwait a second- the word "****" is censored????

edit- apparently it is. what the hell? in what prurient, filthy, disgusting mind does the Scottish word for "lake" have a dirty meaning?

I just looked it up on the Urban dictionary, expecting to find something so vile that I had never heard of it. But absolutely nothing of any consequence. 

Highly doubtful that this is correct information. I tend not to think much about the Ripper, although I must say that 1979's Time after Time is quite good.

Haven't watched this movie since its first release, but yes obrienmundy, I remember it being very entertaining and also liking it quite a bit.

Being one of the resident "Polacks" here, I can address this matter with some authority.

A POLISH barber wouldn't kill a prostitute by slashing her to bits...He'd bash in her head with one of the BOWLS he uses to ply his trade!

IF it was a Polish JEW, then the motive was likely the poor woman had the effrontery to CHARGE him for something he could DO HIMSELF!

Sepiatonicz

Any gay subtexts to this whole infamous murder mystery of well over a century??  Come on folks spit them out!!  Inquiring minds want to know!!

It's like I noted previously - you really are attracted to the topic of "gayness", aren't you?

Now, you're actively encouraging people to introduce the topic - so you can what?  Pretend you deplore it?

You're quite the scamp.

• Like 2

It's like I noted previously - you really are attracted to the topic of "gayness", aren't you?

Now, you're actively encouraging people to introduce the topic - so you can what?  Pretend you deplore it?

You're quite the scamp.

I am more a scalawag. So So So tired of desperate drooling minds looking at every movie and every scene with two male actors involved for incredibly well-hidden gay subtexts.  Buddy movies/scenes and pals movies/scenes and comrade movies/scenes are now called "bromances".  What a stupid and utterly ridiculously demeaning term.  Gets sillier and sillier and sillier.  A scene with an anthill now would probably be analyzed for it's homosexual subtexts because it has a deep dark hole in the anthill when in reality (real reality) it is just an anthill.  There is not an ounce of homosexual subtext in most movies.  Maybe all movies that have scenes with two women that are friends (quite a few thousand movies) should be constantly analyzed for hidden lesbian subtexts ay every silly point.  Desperate minds of a silly few. 

I am more a scalawag. So So So tired of desperate drooling minds looking at every movie and every scene with two male actors involved for incredibly well-hidden gay subtexts.  Buddy movies/scenes and pals movies/scenes and comrade movies/scenes are now called "bromances".  What a stupid and utterly ridiculously demeaning term.  Gets sillier and sillier and sillier.  A scene with an anthill now would probably be analyzed for it's homosexual subtexts because it has a deep dark hole in the anthill when in reality (real reality) it is just an anthill.  There is not an ounce of homosexual subtext in most movies.  Maybe all movies that have scenes with two women that are friends (quite a few thousand movies) should be constantly analyzed for hidden lesbian subtexts ay every silly point.  Desperate minds of a silly few. 

Funny how someone that claims to be so tried of something is also so interested in it.    You keep posting about it and you even went to the the LGBT site to like a comment.    

NOW:  I do see your point that threads of this nature should be placed in that forum.   That is understandable and I support that.   

But when one keeps posting about a topic they claim to despise or even goes to a forum created for said topic,  one has to wonder if there isn't some hidden subtext within that person.

Funny how someone that claims to be so tried of something is also so interested in it.    You keep posting about it and you even went to the the LGBT site to like a comment.    

NOW:  I do see your point that threads of this nature should be placed in that forum.   That is understandable and I support that.   

But when one keeps posting about a topic they claim to despise or even goes to a forum created for said topic,  one has to wonder if there isn't some hidden subtext within that person.

So any sort of comment about a gay theme or subject has to be "ghettoized" down in the LGBT section????. Sorry, I dont buy that. That's where the new George Brent thread ended up because the "powers that be" decided not to transfer the old one over here due to content as well (from the old boards). 

So any sort of comment about a gay theme or subject has to be "ghettoized" down in the LGBT section????. Sorry, I dont buy that. That's where the new George Brent thread ended up because the "powers that be" decided not to transfer the old one over here due to content as well (from the old boards). 

james wasn't saying that at all. He was noting, as I did, that a specific member keeps objecting to the topic of "gayness" when it appears in a thread. This member was so combative whenever it would happen that the lgbt forum was created largely because of him.

Nobody wanted a ghettoization of "gay" topicing. Certainly not james.

james wasn't saying that at all. He was noting, as I did, that a specific member keeps objecting to the topic of "gayness" when it appears in a thread. This member was so combative whenever it would happen that the lgbt forum was created largely because of him.

Nobody wanted a ghettoization of "gay" topicing. Certainly not james.

I'm glad we have an LGBT thread to discuss gay movies. There are also threads in the genre forums for westerns, musicals, horror films, pre-code films, etc. That certainly doesn't mean that those same subjects shouldn't also come up in the General Discussion threads. Otherwise, there would be no General Discussion threads, every topic would be segregated (or closeted if you like) down in the genre threads!

*Sigh*, is there nothing Jews are not responsible for?

LOL

I thought this very same thing too when I first read this thread the other day, slayton.

(...though MY thought didn't end in a preposition like yours did here!!!) ;)

No doubt there could be a rather tasteless joke about how many Poles

does it take to be Jack the Ripper, but that's as far as I'll go. If the DNA

evidence does hold up, this will be more convincing, though not definitively

so, than most of the theories that have been bandied about over the years.

As Churchill didn't say about never ending a sentence with a preposition--

This is the sort of English up with which I will not put. Still a good one.

LOL

Yeah, and apparently Winnie wasn't a real stickler when it came to those split infinitives, EITHER! ;)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings