THE BACHELOR AND THE BOBBY-SOXER (1947) with Shirley Temple

December 9

EVERY GIRL SHOULD BE MARRIED (1948) with Betsy Drake

ROOM FOR ONE MORE (1952) with Betsy Drake

MR. LUCKY (1943) with Laraine Day

December 15

DESTINATION TOKYO (1943) with John Garfield

I WAS A MALE WAR BRIDE (1949) with Ann Sheridan

GUNGA DIN (1939) with Douglas Fairbanks Jr.

ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS (1939) with Jean Arthur

KISS THEM FOR ME (1957) with Jayne Mansfield

December 16

ONCE UPON A HONEYMOON (1942) with Ginger Rogers

THE PRIDE AND THE PASSION (1957) with Sophia Loren

CRISIS (1950) with Jose Ferrer

December 22

HIS GIRL FRIDAY (1940) with Rosalind Russell

THE AWFUL TRUTH (1937) with Irene Dunne

MY FAVORITE WIFE (1940) with Irene Dunne

BRINGING UP BABY (1938) with Katharine Hepburn

THE PHILADELPHIA STORY (1940) with Katharine Hepburn

HOLIDAY (1938) with Katharine Hepburn

December 23

SYLVIA SCARLETT (1935) with Katharine Hepburn

PENNY SERENADE (1941) with Irene Dunne

IN NAME ONLY (1939) with Carole Lombard

December 29

FATHER GOOSE (1964) with Leslie Caron

HOUSEBOAT (1958) with Sophia Loren

THE GRASS IS GREENER (1961) with Deborah Kerr

NORTH BY NORTHWEST (1959) with Eva Marie Saint

WALK, DON'T RUN (1966) with Samantha Eggar

December 30

DREAM WIFE (1953) with Deborah Kerr

ARSENIC AND OLD LACE (1944) with Priscilla Lane

SUSPICION (1941) with Joan Fontaine

NONE BUT THE LONELY HEART (1944) with Ethel Barrymore

Top Billed:  I can hardly wait.  What a Christmas present from TCM.  My only sorrow is no Indiscreet, Operation Pettycoat and while I know it is currently impossible, no Charade.  But I won't complain.  I will enjoy.  I may take the day off for some showings...however if they are in the middle of the night I am somewhat stuck...but none-the- less I am so excited. 

Top Billed:  I can hardly wait.  What a Christmas present from TCM.  My only sorrow is no Indiscreet, Operation Pettycoat and while I know it is currently impossible, no Charade.  But I won't complain.  I will enjoy.  I may take the day off for some showings...however if they are in the middle of the night I am somewhat stuck...but none-the- less I am so excited. 

Yes-- those are three films I wish had been scheduled, too. But I am glad they are showing HOUSEBOAT and the very underrated THE GRASS IS GREENER.  

Yes-- those are three films I wish had been scheduled, too. But I am glad they are showing HOUSEBOAT and the very underrated THE GRASS IS GREENER.  

This is what I get for being such a big Cary Grant fan for over 2 decades.  I have seen all of the films TCM will be showing.  Oh well, I'm sure I'll watch a few yet again.    As for The Grass is Greener;   This is a fine movie and one many people don't talk about (at least in my circle),  so that fits the 'underrated' tag.    How can one beat the talent of the 4 stars in this film.    It is also a treat to see Mitchum play a different type of role (yea, I know he made films other than noirs and westerns but not many as good as this one).

• Like 1

This is what I get for being such a big Cary Grant fan for over 2 decades.  I have seen all of the films TCM will be showing.  Oh well, I'm sure I'll watch a few yet again.    As for The Grass is Greener;   This is a fine movie and one many people don't talk about (at least in my circle),  so that fits the 'underrated' tag.    Now can one beat the talent of the 4 stars in this film.    It is also a treat to see Mitchum play a different type of role (yea, I know he made films other than noirs and westerns but not many as good as this one).

What I love about THE GRASS IS GREENER is that nearly everyone had worked together before. It pairs Deborah Kerr for the third time with Cary and also for the third time with Mitchum. And it is the third time Simmons worked with Mitchum, as well as the third time Simmons did a film with Kerr.

So everyone is perfectly in-sync by this point. Then you have Stanley Donen directing. And it's just good, good, good motion picture entertainment.

What I love about THE GRASS IS GREENER is that nearly everyone had worked together before. It pairs Deborah Kerr for the third time with Cary and also for the third time with Mitchum. And it is the third time Simmons worked with Mitchum, as well as the third time Simmons did a film with Kerr.

So everyone is perfectly in-sync by this point. Then you have Stanley Donen directing. And it's just good, good, good motion picture entertainment.

Funny but I never made that '3 is a charm' type connection.    Oh, I see it clearly and I have seen all the movies related to this;  e.g. Angel Face,  Heaven Knows Mr. Allyson etc..       Yes,  perfectly in-sync.   They clearly understood how each approached their craft and it shows.

Funny but I never made that '3 is a charm' type connection.    Oh, I see it clearly and I have seen all the movies related to this;  e.g. Angel Face,  Heaven Knows Mr. Allyson etc..       Yes,  perfectly in-sync.   They clearly understood how each approached their craft and it shows.

Exactly. I bet it was Donen's easiest directing job. Dream cast that delivers in spades. And it's such a smart script. Everything about THE GRASS IS GREENER is sheer perfection.

It sounds like I'm going to have to give The Grass is Greener another try.  I watched it another time and thought it was kind of boring.  However, from reading the opinions about it here, I may have missed something.  I liked Grant and Kerr in An Affair to Remember.  I think I'll give this film another whirl when it airs again in December. 

I'm looking forward to many of the films in December.  I didn't realize how many Grant films I hadn't seen-- I thought I'd seen most of them.  I'm especially looking forward to his early films before Cary Grant became Cary Grant.  It seems like his persona really emerged and took shape beginning with The Awful Truth

346f45e7-bd07-4136-8d20-9a31de4cffb3_zps

December 1

THIS IS THE NIGHT (1932) with Lily Damita

SHE DONE HIM WRONG (1933) with Mae West

I'M NO ANGEL (1933) with Mae West

THE EAGLE AND THE HAWK (1933) with Fredric March

HOT SATURDAY (1932) with Nancy Carroll

SUZY (1936) with Jean Harlow

December 2

THE TOAST OF NEW YORK (1937) with Edward Arnold

NIGHT AND DAY (1946) with Alexis Smith

December 8

THE BISHOP'S WIFE (1947) with Loretta Young

AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER (1957) with Deborah Kerr

TOPPER (1937) with Constance Bennett

MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE (1948) with Myrna Loy

THE TALK OF THE TOWN (1942) with Jean Arthur

THE BACHELOR AND THE BOBBY-SOXER (1947) with Shirley Temple

December 9

EVERY GIRL SHOULD BE MARRIED (1948) with Betsy Drake

ROOM FOR ONE MORE (1952) with Betsy Drake

MR. LUCKY (1943) with Laraine Day

December 15

DESTINATION TOKYO (1943) with John Garfield

I WAS A MALE WAR BRIDE (1949) with Ann Sheridan

GUNGA DIN (1939) with Douglas Fairbanks Jr.

ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS (1939) with Jean Arthur

KISS THEM FOR ME (1957) with Jayne Mansfield

December 16

ONCE UPON A HONEYMOON (1942) with Ginger Rogers

THE PRIDE AND THE PASSION (1957) with Sophia Loren

CRISIS (1950) with Jose Ferrer

December 22

HIS GIRL FRIDAY (1940) with Rosalind Russell

THE AWFUL TRUTH (1937) with Irene Dunne

MY FAVORITE WIFE (1940) with Irene Dunne

BRINGING UP BABY (1938) with Katharine Hepburn

THE PHILADELPHIA STORY (1940) with Katharine Hepburn

HOLIDAY (1938) with Katharine Hepburn

December 23

SYLVIA SCARLETT (1935) with Katharine Hepburn

PENNY SERENADE (1941) with Irene Dunne

IN NAME ONLY (1939) with Carole Lombard

December 29

FATHER GOOSE (1964) with Leslie Caron

HOUSEBOAT (1958) with Sophia Loren

THE GRASS IS GREENER (1961) with Deborah Kerr

NORTH BY NORTHWEST (1959) with Eva Marie Saint

WALK, DON'T RUN (1966) with Samantha Eggar

December 30

DREAM WIFE (1953) with Deborah Kerr

ARSENIC AND OLD LACE (1944) with Priscilla Lane

SUSPICION (1941) with Joan Fontaine

NONE BUT THE LONELY HEART (1944) with Ethel Barrymore

I'm really looking forward to this month-- one of the few SOTM that I've been excited about this year.  Actually, I enjoyed SUTS more than the SOTMs.  However, I love Cary Grant.  I don't care if his films are prevalent on TCM, I love him.  I own (or have seen) a lot these films; but suspect I'll be watching many of them live.  I know that Cary Grant wasn't fond of his Arsenic and Old Lace performance, he thought he was over-the-top, but I loved this movie.  One of my favorite films to watch on Halloween.  I also really liked Topper.  He was hilarious as the ghost. 

Like I said, I'm really looking forward to his pre-codes; but I'm also looking forward to many of his 1940s films, which I apparently haven't seen.  I'm surprised they aren't showing Notorious.  I own it though, so I may slip that one into my Cary Grant evenings.  I also loved Indiscreet and would love to watch that one again; unfortunately, it wasn't aired this time around.  I also own Operation Petticoat, which isn't scheduled; so I may have to slip that one into my viewing schedule as well. 

For anyone who has Netflix and can't wait for Cary Grant month, these films are on instant streaming:

-Charade

-His Girl Friday

-Monkey Business

-I Was a Male War Bride

I'm sorry to say, I will not be watching Sylvia Scarlett, I watched that film the last time it was on and I thought it was awful; despite the great cast of Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant.  The concept of the movie seems like it could have worked; but I just didn't like this one.  I thought Grant though, was the best part of the film.  I liked his con artist character. 

It sounds like I'm going to have to give The Grass is Greener another try.  I watched it another time and thought it was kind of boring.  However, from reading the opinions about it here, I may have missed something.  I liked Grant and Kerr in An Affair to Remember.  I think I'll give this film another whirl when it airs again in December. 

It's cheeky British humor, and I think that's why the film didn't do well upon its initial release in the U.S. Three of the four leads are Brits, and Cary does seem a bit less American in this one (which is a good thing in my opinion). I was reading about the film on the IMDB and there was interesting commentary that Bob Mitchum was sexier than Cary. I think they're both great in this picture.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait for December! I actually haven't seen about 12 of them and I haven't seen "Father Goose" in around 10 years

I just wish " operation petticoat" would have been scheduled (another I haven't seen in a few years)

But I'm ecstatic for December, Cary Grant is by far my favorite actor :-)

But just a quick question but isn't Lily Damita spelled LILI not Lily?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings