Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If I Could Time Travel to Any Film Set, It Would Be . . .

I believe that footage has been exposed as a hoax shot after the earthquake

I posted part of the WC Fields earthquake film down below. Dick Cavett is narrating it

It looks real to me.

The scene lasts several seconds longer and the camera is running before the earthquake starts. I've seen slightly longer and better prints than this.

The shock and fear among the actors looks real to me. All heading for the nearest exit looks real too, and nothing falling on anyone's head, but falling around them looks real. The camera moves in a real way, jerky, and it doesn't move in a typical vibrating earthquake "special effects" way.

Fred

I posted part of it down below. Dick Cavett is narrating it

It looks real to me.

The scene lasts several seconds longer and the camera is running before the earthquake starts. I've seen slightly longer and better prints than this.

The shock and fear among the actors looks real.

Fred

First, I could be wrong, but the narrator sounds more like Jack Parr than it does Cavett.

Secondly, read the following from IMDb's INTERNATIONAL HOUSE (1933) trivia webpage, and this goes a long way in support of what Richard Kimble earlier mentioned...

During the filming of one of W.C. Fields' scenes, a mild earthquake struck Los Angeles. The earthquake was supposedly captured on film. In the film clip, Fields and his co-stars are speaking their lines on the hotel lobby set, when the picture begins to shake as if the camera is vibrating. A chandelier on the set begins to swing back and forth, and a lamp suddenly falls over. Fields calmly ushers his co-stars off the sound stage, telling them to stay calm and walk slowly. The "earthquake footage" of Fields was played in newsreels across the country in the weeks following the 1933 quake. Nearly forty years later, however, director A. Edward Sutherland admitted that the "earthquake footage" was a hoax concocted by Fields and himself. It was done by rigging wires on the lamp and chandelier, and shaking the camera to simulate an earthquake. Sutherland claimed that he and Fields were amazed when the "earthquake footage" was accepted as genuine by newsreel distributors. "We shared a big laugh and an even bigger drink," the director recalled. To this day, the fake "earthquake footage" is occasionally broadcast and accepted as genuine by entertainment TV shows such as "Access Hollywood." The footage appears in the film Hollywood Out-takes and Rare Footage (1983).

(...and not that you'll see my response here Fred and/or reply to it, but maybe some others here might find this interesting) LOL

Is there another seat on that time machine, Tomjh, because I'd like to get on that ride.  However, I think I would like to take in that love scene between Robin and Marian.

Lol.  I'm right there with you.  If Olivia de Havilland needed a stand-in for that scene, I'd be happy to help out ;-)

Is there another seat on that time machine, Tomjh, because I'd like to get on that ride.  However, I think I would like to take in that love scene between Robin and Marian.

There were, I'm sure you know, rosebette, two filmed versions of the Robin Hood love scene, the one that's in the final film product, directed by Mike Curtiz, as well as an earlier one supervised by William Keighley. It was, I believe, the earlier one in which Olivia teased poor Errol, causing an uncomfortable feeling within his tights during filming, as she mischievously later related. If you're only going to visit one of those two love scenes during filming, you may want to set the dial on your time machine accordingly.

Do you recall that moment in Flynn's autobiography in which he stated that one (unnamed) leading lady once shocked him by applying an extra little tongue action during a love scene? I suspect that Errol was probably talking about that RH scene with our dear Olivia.

And, no, Speedracer, from my understanding, Olivia definitely did NOT want a stand in for the love scene with Errol.

908613d5-c653-4761-8d0d-6e87bd229040_zps

"How you feeling, Big Boy? There's more where that came from."

The Time Machine can take me to Rick's where I am able to sit and just watch and listen and feel the ambience.  I often wonder if the cast was ever aware of just how much meaning the movie ended up delivering.  And guess what??..the radio station is playing "As Time Goes By" sung by of all people, Jimmy Durante.  Believe it or not he delivers it quite well. 

Then please adjust that time machine to get me to the William Keighley version of that love scene.  I wonder if anyone was a stand in for those love scenes with Errol?  If I were his leading lady, I sure as heck wouldn't allow it!  I'd also love to be transported to the scene where this candid was shot!  Wonder what the reactions were by the leading man after the villain's made a pass at his crush.  I have to admit, Basil and Olivia also make a pretty attractive couple.

rh276.jpg

My husband who wears glasses would definitely want to have his cleaned the way Cyd cleans Gene's in Singin in the Rain.

If I were to travel to a film with Claude Rains, it would have to be Deception, preferably the restaurant scene in which he verbally tortures Paul Henreid. 

And, no, Speedracer, from my understanding, Olivia definitely did NOT want a stand in for the love scene with Errol.

Lol, if I were her, I wouldn't want a stand in either.  It'd be a shame though if she were somehow locked in her dressing room when it came time to be on set for that scene... lol. "What? Ms. de Havilland is not on the set? Why yes, I'd be happy to put on her costume and take her place."

Lol, if I were her, I wouldn't want a stand in either.  It'd be a shame though if she were somehow locked in her dressing room when it came time to be on set for that scene... lol. "What? Ms. de Havilland is not on the set? Why yes, I'd be happy to put on her costume and take her place."

Who would do such a thing, lock Olivia in her dressing room and then take her place on the set ?   (sister Joan maybe ) :lol:

Who would do such a thing, lock Olivia in her dressing room and then take her place on the set ?   (sister Joan maybe ) :lol:

I was definitely implying that I would do it.  Lol.  Although, if I could go into cahoots with Joan and pin the whole thing on her, that would work too ;)

Someone has seen too many episodes of I Love Lucy lol.

Lol. You can never see too many episodes of I Love Lucy. I've seen every episode a million times and have the entire series on DVD. It never gets old.

Lol. You can never see too many episodes of I Love Lucy. I've seen every episode a million times and have the entire series on DVD. It never gets old.

Never, speedracer. And it never will get old, unlike just about every so-called modern comedy.

I can also quote every episode of The Honeymooners, albeit there are only 39 important ones.

I too would lock any of my Warren's co-stars in that utility closet (remember the one?) with the bucket and mop, and take their place. :wub:

Never, speedracer. And it never will get old, unlike just about every so-called modern comedy.

I can also quote every episode of The Honeymooners, albeit there are only 39 important ones.

I too would lock any of my Warren's co-stars in that utility closet (remember the one?) with the bucket and mop, and take their place. :wub:I

I haven't really seen any Honeymooners shows.  Only clips on television retrospectives.  Honeymooners never made it onto Nick at Nite or TV Land.  I have seen most episodes of its cartoon counterpart, The Flintstones

I can't comment on the "modern comedy" statement.  As I'm not sure how "modern" you're talking about; but there are a few that I have enjoyed currently and in the past.  The only new shows I watch really are The Big Bang Theory and Portlandia.  I can't stand Modern Family.  But I digress, I'm going off topic. 

... After having my way with Mr. Flynn on the 'Adventures of Robin Hood' set, I'd love to hop back into the time machine and go to a few (or all) I Love Lucy tapings. 

"Citizen Kane" -- genius at work.

I would love to watch Orson Welles direct that film. I'd especially be interested in watching the crew dig the huge hole to place the camera inside of just so Welles could get the right angle for his shot.

That's a tough one.  Probably to the filming of The Women because of that great cast.  What fun to observe the banter and interaction between the actresses!

I bet there were probably a few catfights that would prove entertaining to a bystander as well!