Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On Approval

skimpole

Did anyone catch On Approval last night?  I had never heard of the movie (hardly surprising since it was the only movie its director actually made), but I noticed it being praised in the Self Styled Siren's twitter feed.  So I started watching it and it did seem very amusing, but half an hour in the broadcasting became erratic, stuck and ultimately stopped altogether.

I didn't care much for it either. It was nice seeing Bea Lillie in an earlier role from the 40s, and Clive Brook (the actor who also directed the picture) was his usually good self-- but like you said, it sort of fell flat in spots.

Nonetheless it has a fairly strong rating at the IMDB, so maybe I need to re-watch it in order to better appreciate it. For more:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037149/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I found it really entertaining. I had never heard of Clive Brook before (who played George, the gentleman with the appealing plus-fours), but I liked his persona and found out that he was one of the biggest stars in Britain for a long time. Bea Lillie was great, too, and their characters' interaction was especially funny. They were just so horrid to each other, and the dialogue often hilarious, mean as it was, as were their reactions. I may watch it again this week, I'm sure I missed plenty.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings