Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

Does anyone find SONG OF THE SOUTH (1946) offensive...?

many of us who have viewed sots sometime in our lives have heard others maintain that the film reflects racism and stereotypes. you have a story of two white southern children in a post-civil war environment who develop a rapport with a kindly negro ex-slave. uncle remus does not see two white children. he merely sees two children, period, who are receptive to his guidance. personally, I think the bug in some people's ear about this film is that they would prefer a cinema portrait of newly freed negro slaves in the post-civil war south fuming with hatred and resentment for every white person in sight young or old. and Mr. Disney wasn't going to feed that fever.

Yeah, but which version is more historically accurate? Sometimes it amazes me that black people in the South ever survived the 100 years between the Reconstruction period and the civil rights advances of the mid-1960s. 

lets cut the crapola, shall we? the simple truth is that it is just plain dumb to demonize sots. rebels without a cause. it makes about as much sense as finding fault with pinocchio for it's treatment of puppets. pinocchio shouldn't wish to be human but revel in the joys of wood construction. :D

lets cut the crapola, shall we? the simple truth is that it is just plain dumb to demonize sots. rebels without a cause. it makes about as much sense as finding fault with pinocchio for it's treatment of puppets. pinocchio shouldn't wish to be human but revel in the joys of wood construction. :D

In the real world, everything isn't satisfactual.

pinocchio shouldn't wish to be human but revel in the joys of wood construction.

No strings attached?

Yeah, but which version is more historically accurate? Sometimes it amazes me that black people in the South ever survived the 100 years between the Reconstruction period and the civil rights advances of the mid-1960s. 

I honestly do not know but I do know that sots was meant to be taken by moviegoers as children's fare. :) suppose we conjecture that some newly freed slaves were miserable but there were also many who were reasonably cheerful and maintained positive rapports with the white southern families whom they knew and knew them.

suppose we conjecture that some newly freed slaves were miserable but there were also many who were reasonably cheerful and maintained positive rapports with the white southern families whom they knew and knew them.

I'd be willing to bet there were both.

Though how many of each type I couldn't say.

In the real world, everything isn't satisfactual.

and in the real world nothing good has ever come from hatred and resentment.

I honestly do not know but I do know that sots was meant to be taken by moviegoers as children's fare. :) suppose we conjecture that some newly freed slaves were miserable but there were also many who were reasonably cheerful and maintained positive rapports with the white southern families whom they knew and knew them.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe they were just putting on a good face for Mr. Charlie and Miz Charlotte?

and in the real world nothing good has ever come from hatred and resentment.

And two wrongs don't make a right (but three do!)

I'd be willing to bet there were both.

Though how many of each type I couldn't say.

of course not, Walt Disney, however, chose to spin a positive story.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe they were just putting on a good face for Mr. Charlie and Miz Charlotte?

We all do the best we can with the circumstances we're in.

of course not. Walt Disney, however chose to spin a positive story.

Except with 'Bambi'. There the message was reality - life's a b!tch and then you die.

That's why it's the only one I really like.

people who insist on finding all this fault with sots have, I think, too much starch in their corsets

or, putting it another way, too much zip-a-dee up their doo-dahs. :)

• Like 1

people who insist on finding all this fault with sots have, I think, too much starch in their corsets

or, putting it another way, too much zip-a-dee up their doo-dahs. :)

My, oh my!  :rolleyes:

From happy go lucky slave to happy go lucky sharecropper.

Is this a great country or what? :)

What a wonderful day!

How great that this lovely thread was bumped up.

From happy go lucky slave to happy go lucky sharecropper.

Is this a great country or what?

For sure! Sharecroppers have it the best!

After reading through most, if not all, of the posts on this thread I'd like to share what I've gleaned from it (and remember ►  I went to college for six years to get a 4-Year Degree; I stuck around just so I could think more deeply about "things" before graduating):  

Point A:  Some viewers are offended by SONG OF THE SOUTH

Point B:  Some viewers are not offended by SONG OF THE SOUTH

Point C:  I've never seen 'SONG OF THE SOUTH'; if I live to be 80 maybe I'll watch it some time.  I'm 41 now and it's not high on my 'To View' list of movie priorities.  It's about 2,000th.  (Even lower is Disney's FANTASIA, which has less appeal to me than sitting around watching cars rust). 

Don't forget the country music super-group ALABAMA had a big hit with a little ditty called "SONG OF THE SOUTH" circa 1990/91.  Sweet potato pie and I'll shut my mouth . . . !

I've never seen 'SONG OF THE SOUTH'; if I live to be 80 maybe I'll watch it some time.  

Hopefully this thread will encourage more folks to seek it out. Including you!