Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

Does anyone find SONG OF THE SOUTH (1946) offensive...?

it makes about as much sense as finding fault with pinocchio for it's treatment of puppets. pinocchio shouldn't wish to be human but revel in the joys of wood construction. :D

Going from being a wooden puppet to being a puppet of the government. Had to find things out the hard way, lol.

people who insist on finding all this fault with sots have, I think, too much starch in their corsets

or, putting it another way, too much zip-a-dee up their doo-dahs. :)

That is funny coming from you the biggest complainer on the block.   Your corset must be as solid as rock.   :lol:

That is funny coming from you the biggest complainer on the block.   Your corset must be as solid as rock.   :lol:

yeah, a space cadet hardcase an' proud of it. 

I'm the kinda guy who still wonders when the saturday morning superhero cartoon genre is comin' back and whatever happened to channel 14 base stations. :)

6yk30z.jpg

Your voice is for you to determine. I know what my voice is, I know what side of the issue(s) I am on--I doubt I am brainwashed by anything. My posting history here suggests that I am a critical thinker, not afraid to take a stand, even an unpopular one.   :)

As I said from the start I have no personal issues with SOTS and that Disney should release the film,  but to imply those that don't are not on the same side as you are somehow brainwashed is a cheap shot to those that don't agree with you.    I just don't feel those type of comments add to the discussion.    To me a true critical thinker wouldn't have to resort to those type of attacks.

As I said from the start I have no personal issues with SOTS and that Disney should release the film,  but to imply those that don't are not on the same side as you are somehow brainwashed is a cheap shot to those that don't agree with you.    I just don't feel those type of comments add to the discussion.    To me a true critical thinker wouldn't have to resort to those type of attacks.

well, I kinda do think there is this obligatory attitude in the mainstream media that sots is to be regarded as a racist film simply because the left has ordained it so.

well, I kinda do think there is this obligatory attitude in the mainstream media that sots is to be regarded as a racist film simply because the left has ordained it so.

the truth is that sots is a harmless film that should be taken in context for the time it was released, 1946. what is actually funny imo is the same birds who would wanna throw sots into a bonfire to erase it from the memory of man are perfectly alright with rap artists constantly denigrating black women and all women in general as loose and hoe-ish.

but never mind that, lets just worry about a very dated 68-year old children's film. :)

Come on;  you really think the mainstream media even knows about this film?    Man,  you're one funny space cadet today. 

But yes, the left does wish to censor certain content just like the right wants to censor other types of content (e.g. the type of censorship one sees on MOVIES).   That doesn't mean either side is brainwashed just because they have an opinion that one doesn't agree with. 

Actually, it was members of the NAACP and "black" media that "ordained" it so.

But, I suppose they could be seen as kind of leftish - they certainly have never been status quo establishment-centric.

My posting history here suggests that I am a critical thinker

Yes. Just not a very astute one.

And no warnings about copperheads and rattlers and other slithering creatures.

Hey, now - let's leave Stephen Baldwin outta this.

the truth is that sots is a harmless film that should be taken in context for the time it was released, 1946. what is actually funny imo is the same birds who would wanna throw sots into a bonfire to erase it from the memory of man are perfectly alright with rap artists constantly denigrating black women and all women in general as loose and hoe-ish.

Your statement is untrue.

I know many people who find both THE SONG OF THE SOUTH and  misogynistic rap songs offensive. 

I know many people who find both THE SONG OF THE SOUTH and  misogynistic rap songs offensive. 

Is offensive the same thing as harmful?

If so, shouldn't there be a lot more laws against offending people? Like millions more laws.

Of course his statement is untrue and totally bogus.    But wait,  he will find ONE bird that is offended by SOTS but not miogynistic rap and use that to speak for 'all birds'.     Because we all know those type of birds all think the same.    Every single stinking one of them.     ;)

Of course his statement is untrue and totally bogus.    But wait,  he will find ONE bird that is offended by SOTS but not miogynistic rap and use that to speak for 'all birds'.     Because we all know those type of birds all think the same.    Every single stinking one of them.     ;)

what should be considered more offensive to the rational mind? SONG OF THE SOUTH, a dated Disney film meant for children or a modern form of "music" that habitually characterizes mostly black women as hoes?

personally, I could give two buttons an' an old shoe about sots. to me it is mostly a late 1940s disney nostalgia piece.

I have never really cared for it that much but having viewed it at least twice in my lifetime to peg it as prejudicial to me is a bit of a stretch. the problem here is the hypersensitivity of a few.

just what exactly is wrong with umcle remus? is it that he is not raging and full of hostility and resentment?

what should be considered more offensive to the rational mind? SONG OF THE SOUTH, a dated Disney film meant for children or a modern form of "music" that habitually characterizes mostly black women as hoes?

Questioning the rationality of "black" peoples' minds seems like a good idea to you?

Questioning the rationality of "black" peoples' minds seems like a good idea to you?

I meant all people's rational mind. :) ya gotta admit, darkblue, it does seem that it's not just only black people who have issues with sots but many white progressives.

I really don't keep up too much with all the Baldwins, but reading about Stephen, he does seem a bit of a kook.

Not sure "kook" is the description I'd go to. Let's just say he and Ted Nugent share some aspects of personality.

I meant all people's rational mind.

Okay. It's just that the objections to the movie on the basis of racist depiction began with African-American commentators, so it's wise to remember that when questioning "peoples" rational minds.

Okay. It's just that the objections to the movie on the basis of racist depiction began with African-American commentators, so it's wise to keep that in mind when questioning "peoples" rational minds.

I never pretended myself to know who started objecting to the racial depictions in sots but I have read that Hattie McDaniel never had any problem with appearing in sots.

I never pretended myself to know who started objecting to the racial depictions in sots but I have read that Hattie McDaniel never had any problem with appearing in sots.

Actually, you're pretending not to know. It's knowledge that's been posted here several times - once earlier today in a post addressed to you specifically.

yes, I CAN see how some black americans could have a problem with song of the south but to me it is simply a harmless children's film....and that concludes my contribution to this thread. :)

yes, I CAN see how some black americans could have a problem with song of the south but to me it is simply a harmless children's film....and that concludes my contribution to this thread. :)

You don't have anything more to add...?

yes, I CAN see how some black americans could have a problem with song of the south but to me it is simply a harmless children's film....and that concludes my contribution to this thread.

Before you go, I just want to say that I did see your point - and it was a valid one - about the degree of offensiveness that can be perceived as present in each example (be it the movie or be it rap music).

And I know it wasn't your intention to make a racial statement. In fact, there's a truth to the notion that feeling offended is an emotional response not rooted in rationality. But when I read your allusion to a "rational mind" in a topic that will, for some, revolve around different racial perspectives, an alarm went off in my head. It's so easy to get into trouble with any statement that can be seen as something different than intended when it comes to issues of race.

personally, I could give two buttons an' an old shoe about sots. to me it is mostly a late 1940s disney nostalgia piece.

I have never really cared for it that much but having viewed it at least twice in my lifetime to peg it as prejudicial to me is a bit of a stretch. the problem here is the hypersensitivity of a few.

just what exactly is wrong with umcle remus? is it that he is not raging and full of hostility and resentment?

You're reply here really has nothing to do with your previous claim that the birds that find SOTS offensive do NOT find certain type of rap offensive.    That is the claim I said was bogus (as well as HoldenisHere).    (as well as assuming "all birds" think the same way)

My own view is that certain rap is a lot more offensive than SOTS.   A lot more.