Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

Does anyone find SONG OF THE SOUTH (1946) offensive...?

Now me, I've never seen the movie

I think it would help you if you would actually see the movie, so you can talk about it.

• Like 1

You misunderstood my post. I was talking about the last part of your statement, about people not liking the film. This: "a criticism that they are attempting to propagandize children to unacceptable racial stereotypes."

I'd say you're the one who misunderstood. You highlighted my statement that "Disney's releasing of the movie is not worth the criticism they'd get - a criticism that they are attempting to propagandize children to unacceptable racial stereotypes".

So, it was clear that you didn't get why Disney believes it's not worth re-releasing the movie, even though I stated distinctly why. As to the 'why' - well, why do you think African-Americans who object to the movie object to it if not that? Remember my point that it is a movie for children when you consider your answer.

I'd say you're the one who misunderstood. You highlighted my statement that "Disney's releasing of the movie is not worth the criticism they'd get - a criticism that they are attempting to propagandize children to unacceptable racial stereotypes".

So, it was clear that you didn't get why Disney believes it's not worth re-releasing the movie, even though I stated distinctly why. As to the 'why' - well, why do you think African-Americans who object to the movie object to it if not that?

I don't know what you are talking about. I told you what I meant, and see my post about the dollar scale. Also, see the movie so this discussion will become more clear to you..

I don't know what you are talking about. I told you what I meant, and see my post about the dollar scale. Also, see the movie so this discussion will become more clear to you..

You're very confused.  One doesn't need to see the movie to know WHY African Americans may NOT like the film,  may find the film offensive,  or why Disney may wish to avoid controversy but withholding the film.

What I hear you saying is:  I have seen the film and I find nothing offensive in it,  therefore no one should find the film offensive and therefore Disney should release the film.      That POV is total folly.

Well, in future, take time to understand a post before replying to it and it'll help keep you on point.

No way I'm going to see the movie. Except for 'Bambi', I outgrew Disney movies before I was 10. And from the bits and pieces of it I have seen, it looks unutterably boring.

That POV is total folly.

That POV is what you just said, not what I said.

You are arguing just to argue.

Well, in future, take time to understand a post before replying to it and it'll help keep you on point.

LOL. Yes sir. And I'll go back and un-watch the movie so I'll be just like you. :)

Here is a simple way to explain the problem with the movie to someone. Have them go out and talk in public like the cartoon characters do. I guarantee noses will be straightened out real quick, lol.

Here is a simple way to explain the problem with the movie to someone. Have them go out and talk in public like the cartoon characters do. I guarantee noses will be straightened out real quick, lol.

See this:

Akbar Imhotep Performs “The Wonderful Tar-Baby Story”

http://vimeo.com/10765411

My memories of it are warm like the episodes of Amos & Andy I saw at that same time

We were just discussing this today, and how much we miss Kingfish and 'do da name Ruby Begonia mean anythin' to ya?'.

Ah, good times.

Those good times are gone with the wind, like five-cent Cokes, Burma Shave signs and Anglo-Saxon Miss Americas.

• Like 1

Same result if any man talked to any woman the way many of the male characters (especially Pat O'Brien) talked to female characters in my beloved classically classic films of the 1930s and 1940s.

Work? You will not work after we're married. You will stay home and watch the kids and clean the house and have my dinner on the table when I get home.

Need I tell you what any normal woman would say to any male who went out in public and said those words?

I still think the film should be available to all and sundry. Censorship and historical cleansing doesn't work. Soon, an entire generation will look up briefly from texting if you ask them what they know about 1939, look at you blankly, shrug, and promptly return to their texting.

I still think the film should be available to all and sundry. Censorship and historical cleansing doesn't work. Soon, an entire generation will look up briefly from texting if you ask them what they know about 1939, look at you blankly, shrug, and promptly return to their texting.

I've got a great idea! To combat censorship and historical cleansing, let's all ask TCM to make Stepin Fetchit Star of the Month for January 2015! I'm sure we'd all love to hear Robert Osborne talk about how Fetchit was the first black actor to become a millionaire. It would be edifying, I'm sure.

That's not the subject of my post. What Fred says he doesn't get is why Disney would feel it's not worth the blowback to re-release it. And you liked that.

It's such a simple thing to understand and yet you two apparently don't. Can you say "mental block"?

Sounds like you are trying to intimidate two posters whose point of view you do not share. If you will look carefully at all my replies to you, I refrain from personal attacks. It certainly would be nice if you began to reciprocate the same courtesy. 

The subject of your earlier post was that blacks are offended by the movie and that is why there is blowback. But you are assuming that all blacks are offended, and they obviously are not. And you are neglecting to mention that there are many non-blacks clinging to a warped brand of political correctness trying to use blacks to advance their own crusade, with a harmless family film as the basis for far-fetched indignation. When you keep presenting that sort of argument and then launch into personal attacks after that argument ultimately fails-- well, let's just say, it makes you look like a sore loser and an overall bad sport. These boards are for civil discussion and respectful communication about classic film, not bullying or harassment of others who espouse a different point of view.

You're very confused.  One doesn't need to see the movie to know 

I respectfully disagree, james. In my opinion, that is a larger problem on these boards recently. We have people chiming into discussions without having seen the film up for debate. Common sense tells us that a knowledgeable discussion cannot occur if someone is not familiar with the film or the topic at hand. 

Sounds like you are trying to intimidate two posters whose point of view you do not share. If you will look carefully at all my replies to you, I refrain from personal attacks. It certainly would be nice if you began to reciprocate the same courtesy. 

The subject of your earlier post was that blacks are offended by the movie and that is why there is blowback. But you are assuming that all blacks are offended, and they obviously are not. And you are neglecting to mention that there are many non-blacks clinging to a warped brand of political correctness trying to use blacks to advance their own crusade, with a harmless family film as the basis for far-fetched indignation. When you keep presenting that sort of argument and then launch into personal attacks after that argument ultimately fails-- well, let's just say, it makes you look like a sore loser and an overall bad sport. These boards are for civil discussion and respectful communication about classic film, not bullying or harassment of others who espouse a different point of view.

TB, I've said repeatedly that I wish Disney would just release the film, or sell the rights to someone who would.  Again, we can't know where we're going unless we know where we've been. 

But "personal attacks" don't just involve direct name calling.  The repeated and reflexive overuse of "political correctness" to describe the motivations of those opposed to releasing the film is no less a personal attack than calling the film's proponents "racists".   Both of those loaded terms imply  that there's no possible good faith argument to be made by one's opponents, which is hardly the way to bring out a civil discussion.

• Like 2

RE:  SOTS.  Saw it many years ago, so remember a little of it.  However, I am sure that like many, many movies it is offensive to many people.  Like GWTW, it also presents a picture of the South that never was even close to true.

BTW, I am white and have lived in the South my entire life.  Majored in US History at a Southern college and took a lot of Southern history courses.

Just to be clear. POV means personal observation (observable?) view.  What you see from your head's viewpoint.  Personal opinion or personal viewpoint is what is being discussed in some of these threads.  Not the same thing.

TB, I've said repeatedly that I wish Disney would just release the film, or sell the rights to someone who would.  Again, we can't know where we're going unless we know where we've been. 

But "personal attacks" don't just involve direct name calling.  The repeated and reflexive overuse of "political correctness" to describe the motivations of those opposed to releasing the film is no less a personal attack than calling the film's proponents "racists".   Both of those loaded terms imply  that there's no possible good faith argument to be made by one's opponents, which is hardly the way to bring out a civil discussion.

Andy, there is a difference between a general discussion of political correctness gone amok and personal attacks where one poster seeks to systematically destroy or discredit another poster's point of view. I think you may be intentionally trying to blur both concepts to undermine the argument that we have crusaders trying to prevent the re-release of a classic Disney film because they think they know what is correct for the rest of the country.

As I have stated before, only in America do we find this kind of (not so) subtle thought policing...other nations deal with the issue of racism much more openly-- but in the U.S., we play games about racism and use Hollywood as the scapegoat. I think the outcome is much more damaging. Racism is still as prevalent as ever in America and suppressing a Walt Disney work of art is not the answer.

Think about it-- SONG OF THE SOUTH has not been in theatres since 1986-- that's 28 years at this point-- and the problems related to race in America have not disappeared. So hasn't our weird experiment of suppressing a family film to eradicate racism been a bust?

RE:  SOTS.  Saw it many years ago, so remember a little of it.  However, I am sure that like many, many movies it is offensive to many people.  Like GWTW, it also presents a picture of the South that never was even close to true.

BTW, I am white and have lived in the South my entire life.  Majored in US History at a Southern college and took a lot of Southern history courses.

Just to be clear. POV means personal observation (observable?) view.  What you see from your head's viewpoint.  Personal opinion or personal viewpoint is what is being discussed in some of these threads.  Not the same thing.

Actually, POV means Point Of View. Not sure to which post you are referring, but POV, imo, means personal opinion.

I know. More's the pity.

I miss those days as well. The days of my childhood. I remember well being 6 years old at a cottage in Wasaga Beach in summer, lying in the dark in a big old bed with some of my slightly older aunts and maybe a cousin, giggling at a static-y radio show of 'Amos N Andy' - waiting for parents and uncles and their wives to come back to the cottage from their nitelife excursions. We'd always be sound asleep by the time they did.