Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does anyone find SONG OF THE SOUTH (1946) offensive...?

TopBilled

Where is this Shout site? I'd love to see Amos and Andy again, the TV version that is.

You can buy every episode of Amos 'n' Andy on ebay for $16.99, with free shipping.   That's $16.99 for all 74 of them, not $16.99 each.  These have been easily available for many years.

Ebay also lists 36 VHS tapes of Song of the South, all of which can be converted to DVD.   There's nothing stopping anyone from seeing this movie if he really wants to.

Where is this Shout site? I'd love to see Amos and Andy again, the TV version that is.

You can buy every episode of Amos 'n' Andy on ebay for $16.99, with free shipping.   That's $16.99 for all 74 of them, not $16.99 each.  These have been easily available for many years.

Ebay also lists 36 VHS tapes of Song of the South, all of which can be converted to DVD.   There's nothing stopping anyone from seeing this movie if he really wants to.

Thanks, Andy. I was curious because the Shout site doesn't show up in Google.

Thanks, Andy. I was curious because the Shout site doesn't show up in Google.

I believe I owe everyone an apology..for giving out incomplete information...it is actually the Shout Factory for old TV shows and another site that I can't remember for old radio shows.  I think if you put Amos n' Andy radio shows in the google finder it will take you to the site which has some other old shows like "The Shadow" and " Boston  ****".  Sorry for the "rabbit hole" , pardon the pun. 

I believe I owe everyone an apology..for giving out incomplete information...it is actually the Shout Factory for old TV shows and another site that I can't remember for old radio shows.  I think if you put Amos n' Andy radio shows in the google finder it will take you to the site which has some other old shows like "The Shadow" and " Boston  ****".  Sorry for the "rabbit hole" , pardon the pun. 

HEY! What's with all those asterixeseseses there, Emily???

What happened to all this "let's keep the level of conversation on a higher plane" talk here. HUH?!

Yeah, I know. That was supposed to be "Boston B-l-a-c-k-i-e" up there, but this ****** word filter around here did that to it, huh!

LOL

(...okay...sorry...I'll stop kiddin' ya about this now...probably went on too long as it is, huh!) ;)

HEY! What's with all those asterixeseseses there, Emily???

What happened to all this "let's keep the level of conversation on a higher plane" talk here. HUH?!

Yeah, I know. That was supposed to be "Boston B-l-a-c-k-i-e" up there, but this ****** word filter around here did that to it, huh!

LOL

(...okay...sorry...I'll stop kiddin' ya about this now...probably went on too long as it is, huh!) ;)

I don't remember using asterisks as I know how to spell and I have a vocabulary beyond asterisks.  I may not have proofed it well enough...got me. 

I don't remember using asterisks as I know how to spell and I have a vocabulary beyond asterisks.  I may not have proofed it well enough...got me. 

No, actually Emily, and as I mentioned here, the reason it posted with all those asterisks was not that you failed to proofread your post before entering it, but because the word filter at this website doesn't "like" the word "B-a-c-k-i-e" and thus did that to your sentence after you entered it, and which has been an ongoing little issue around here, the idea of an "overly sensitive" word filter that is, since these boards went through a revamping a few months ago.

(...saaaay, come to THINK of it, do you suppose it's at all possible that the SAME guy who programmed this word filter around here just MIGHT somehow hold the rights to "Song of the South" TOO???!!!...nah, probably just a coincidence here, huh) ;)

No, actually Emily, and as I mentioned here, the reason it posted with all those asterisks was not that you failed to proofread your post before entering it, but because the word filter at this website doesn't "like" the word "B-a-c-k-i-e" and thus did that to your sentence after you entered it.

(...and which has been an ongoing little issue around here, the idea of an "overly sensitive" word filter that is, since these boards went through a revamping a few months ago)

Oh no...you don't mean censorship or something like "polictical correctness"  encroaching on the TCM page.  It is easy to see that I will be forced to research my Thesaurus more. 

Oh no...you don't mean censorship or something like "polictical correctness"  encroaching on the TCM page.  It is easy to see that I will be forced to research my Thesaurus more. 

Yeah, but I don't think using the phrase "Boston(the opposite of) Whitey" has quite the same RING to it! ;)

(...and, while I hate to bring this up here and make an issue of this yet again, isn't the idea that you think ever so OCCASIONALLY "peppering" a sentence with a "salty" word for effect "lowers the level of discussion" also somewhat a form of "political correctness", and as in "it might offend those with particular sensitivities" if said out-loud and/or viewed???...and which has kind'a sort'a been the reason I've been tweakin' your cheek here and ever since I read your thoughts about this in the "FAILSAFE" thread, you see?!)

Yeah, but I don't think using the phrase "Boston(the opposite of) Whitey" has quite the same RING to it! ;)

(...and, while I hate to bring this up here and make an issue of this yet again, isn't the idea that you think ever so OCCASIONALLY "peppering" a sentence with a "salty" word for effect "lowers the level of discussion" also somewhat a form of "political correctness", and as in "it might offend those with particular sensitivities" if said out-loud and/or viewed???...and which has kind'a sort'a been the reason I've been tweakin' your cheek here and ever since I read your thoughts about this in the "FAILSAFE" thread, you see?!)

You may tweak me all you like and I certainly don't take offense as I am tweaked.  However I truly do view the increasing amount of asterisked words as a representation of a very poorly educated public.  If you view the works of Churchill, Oscar Levant, Oscar Wilde and others you will discover that the use of well placed word is much more capable of expressing your true views/expression etc. of a subject than a run of asterisks.  However I will try and avoid less commentary of the way things are expressed over what is expressed except that I find reverting to the use of asterisked words really does not encourage much discussion. 

At the time regretfully, but now gratefully, my parents watched a certain PBS show where the vocabulary used required concomittant access to a dictionary.  As we only had one television it was either watch the show, or G-d forbid do my homework or read a book so a residual effect was a strong vocabulary.   

At the time regretfully, but now gratefully, my parents watched a certain PBS show where the vocabulary used required concomittant access to a dictionary.  As we only had one television it was either watch the show, or G-d forbid do my homework or read a book so a residual effect was a strong vocabulary.   

Well, at least you can communicate with yourself, if no one else.

You are incorrect to suggest there was no Southern Aristocracy that existed in the South as depicted by Gone With The Wind. Margaret Mitchell did her homework. She was spot on and won a Pulitzer prize for her

book. I've read a few books, too...

Didn't say there was no "Southern Aristocracy," said it presented a picture of the South that wasn't true.   Primarily referring to way in which treatment of African-Americans was portrayed.  However, the "aristocracy" was incorrectly portrayed as well-not as nice in reality.  Of course, it was a historical romance novel made into a historical romance movie, so accuracy was not a big consideration.

BTW, I read GWTW twice and enjoyed it.  MItchell got a Pulitizer in 1936(?) for a novel, not for an historically accurate book.  Incidentally, I was once Commander of a Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp.

The Uncle Remus character does not seem like a negative stereotype at all.

No, not at all. Seems that things have changed over the past few decades, and now Uncle Remus is a hero story-teller character that has become a well-established and lovable part of Black history in America.

The Wonderful Tar Baby Story:

No, not at all. Seems that things have changed over the past few decades, and now Uncle Remus is a hero story-teller character that has become a well-established and lovable part of Black history in America.

Thanks, Fred, for sharing The Wonderful Tar Baby Story.

Give me a break! If Uncle Remus was so lovable, you could buy "Song of the South" at your friendly neighborhood Wal-Mart. Y'all need to get over the myth of the happy-go-lucky darkies of the antebellum, Civil War and Reconstruction periods. 

I watched The Smiling Ghost on TCM the other day. Willie Best is in the cast. Yes his character is a stereotype. Yes he was a very good actor and should have had more and different opportunities. Yes that sort of stereotyping would not happen in a film today. 

Every time one of those old movies shows up or is discussed, the same conversations take place here. No new insights.  Posters repeat the same arguments. Will this ever stop. Obviously we can repeat this discussion every time, just changing the name of the film under discussion, with the usual lack of sensitivity and understanding from ALL sides, but what's the point?

We can't go back and change those films. We can enjoy what good there is in those films. We can, to the best of our abilities, live our lives so that the things we complain about in the films, which were of another time, don't happen in our time, or in the future.

I watched The Smiling Ghost on TCM the other day. Willie Best is in the cast. Yes his character is a stereotype. Yes he was a very good actor and should have had more and different opportunities. Yes that sort of stereotyping would not happen in a film today. 

Every time one of those old movies shows up or is discussed, the same conversations take place here. No new insights.  Posters repeat the same arguments. Will this ever stop. Obviously we can repeat this discussion every time, just changing the name of the film under discussion, with the usual lack of sensitivity and understanding from ALL sides, but what's the point?

We can't go back and change those films. We can enjoy what good there is in those films. We can, to the best of our abilities, live our lives so that the things we complain about in the films, which were of another time, don't happen in our time, or in the future.

Bears repeating:

What an EXCELLENT observation, Swithin. Isn't it incredible? And the same most who want to tell the others what to think instead of those most leaving everyone to their opinions trot out their same dictatorial nonsense, thinking: well, my bellicosity might work this time and I just might, this time, convince everyone that censorship is a wonderful thing.

Amazing, ain't it? :huh:

You are SO right, Swithin.

And the same most who want to tell the others what to think instead of those most leaving everyone to their opinions

I don't see it as anyone telling anyone else what to think.

No matter what the topic, if the way one person thinks is different from what another thinks, each wishes to represent by posting. It's only fair.

I don't see it as anyone telling anyone else what to think.

No matter what the topic, if the way one person thinks is different from what another thinks, each wishes to represent by posting. It's only fair.

dark, I can't ask you if you've been here much, 'cause I know you have. Fair doesn't enter into any of the manner in which the most post.

dark, I can't ask you if you've been here much, 'cause I know you have. Fair doesn't enter into any of the manner in which the most post.

If one finds that their opinion is often a minority one, I can understand how they might begin to feel that there's something unfair about that.

But it's not unfair. It's just each person saying what they think; feel; prefer. Whichever "camp" one finds oneself in - minority, majority, unique - it's all just people expressing themselves and hopefully entertaining the other members.

If one finds that their opinion is often a minority one, I can understand how they might begin to feel that there's something unfair about that.

But it's not unfair. It's just each person saying what they think; feel; prefer. Whichever "camp" one finds oneself in - minority, majority, unique - it's all just people expressing themselves and hopefully entertaining the other members.

Nope, absolutely positively not at all. My opinion has been a minority opinion since I was seven. I never had any problem with it, unless I was being bullied and berated for having that opinion, and even then my problem was never ever with my opinion, it was with the bulliers. Need I say more?

It's just each person saying what they think; feel; prefer.

If only.

it's all just people expressing themselves and hopefully entertaining the other members.

Okay, if that's how you see the most, you're entitled to your opinion.

See how that works, most?

I am glad that a recent post referred to Willie Best who I saw this Saturday morning as Clarence in some B picture (Saturday movie going fare for 25 cents at the local theatre).  If you scope out his career on IMBD and Wikipedia he was in over 100 movies and was credited in almost 75% of the films he starred in...and I do recall him in My Little Margie another favourite TV show from my childhood.

Happily in those days I was able to watch shows and actors and appreciate their roles without the intrusion of political correctness or other societal strictures...and was able, later in life to make up my own mind on what was right and wrong along with all the grey in-between.

All of us who blog, opine and other actions on these message boards have one overriding tie that binds..we love Classic Movies and the different aspects of the movies...so while I don't find Song of the South racist because I first watched it from a position of innocence and enjoyment...plus the everlasting effect of Zip Dee Doo Dah!!!,others who had viewpoints shaped for them before they watched the film are entitiled to their opinions...often I wonder how many truly have seen this movie in its entirety.

I watched the DVD the other day just to see if I could fit in all the bloggers points of view..and still came away with the fact that it was a great way to present ideas and lessons that children could absorb in an entertaining message. 

The fact of life in most activities is "first do no harm" so let us watch movies first without the distraction of "noise" and recall the time in history, the prevailing opinion of the times and the goal of the movie industry at the time the movie appeared, not from the perspective of today...times and thoughts do change whether for bad or good.  It is all in the mind of the individual.  

Give me a break! If Uncle Remus was so lovable, you could buy "Song of the South" at your friendly neighborhood Wal-Mart. Y'all need to get over the myth of the happy-go-lucky darkies of the antebellum, Civil War and Reconstruction periods. 

Well said, jakeem.

Here is an excerpt from Joel Chandler Harris's introduction to his first published Uncle Remus book Uncle Remus: His Songs and Sayings:

At any rate, I trust I have been successful in presenting what may be, at least to a large portion of American readers, a new and by no means unattractive phase of Negro character - a phase which may be considered a curiously sympathetic supplement to Mrs. Stowe's wonderful defense of slavery as it existed in the South. Mrs. Stowe, let me hasten to say, attacked the possibilities of slavery with all the eloquence of genius; but the same genius painted the portrait of the Southern slaveowner, and defended him.

You need to get over thinking that people who tell Br’er Rabbit stories are “Darkies”. This is an offensive term to a lot of people.

They are men and women who tell folk stories that are traditional in their culture and that came from their ancestral past in the 19th Century. The Uncle Remus stories were first published in the 19th Century, and made into a famous drama and fantasy film in 1946 by the Walt Disney company. The actor who played Uncle Remus was a fine intelligent man who received a special Academy Award for his outstanding work.

See this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_of_the_South

“Walt Disney liked Baskett, and told his sister, Ruth Disney, that Baskett was "the best actor, I believe, to be discovered in years." Even after the film's release, Walt stayed in contact with Baskett. Disney also campaigned for Baskett to be given an Academy Award for his performance, saying that he had worked "almost wholly without direction" and had devised the characterization of Remus himself. Thanks to Disney's efforts, Baskett won an honorary Oscar in 1948. After Baskett's death, his widow wrote Disney and told him that he had been a "friend indeed and [we] certainly have been in need."

I say again, TIME HAVE CHANGED and Uncle Remus stories are becoming more famous and more popular all the time, thanks to the original 19th Century book and that 1946 Walt Disney film that is available around the world now, on the internet, on DVD, and on video tape.

I realize this modern revival of the Uncle Remus stories must burn you up and make you fume, but with widespread media the way it is today, people can think for themselves today and they can find many sources of the film. You can see some of these people in YouTube clips, even imitating Uncle Remus’ movie voice from the Disney film as they tell their own versions of the stories, while other people are happily adding to the Br’er Rabbit story tradition by making up their own new Br’er Rabbit stories.

Storyteller Diane Ferlatte, Brer Rabbit's Dance, garden story

“This is a story that came out of the mouths of slaves.....”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEoEGr955tw&

Archived