Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Nutty Jerry Lewis

TopBilled

1jerry.png

Jerry's on TCM tonight in the classic comedy THE NUTTY PROFESSOR. Followed by some of his earlier work with Dean Martin and later offerings from the 60s.

Here's a portion of the original review for THE NUTTY PROFESSOR that appeared in Variety:

The star is cast as a meek, homely, accident-prone chemistry prof who concocts a potion that transforms him into a handsome, cocky, obnoxiously vain 'cool cat' type. But the transfiguration is of the Jekyll-Hyde variety in that it wears off, restoring Lewis to the original mold, invariably at critical, embarrassing moments.

Another standard characteristic of the Lewis film is its similarity to an animated cartoon, especially noticeable on this occasion in that the professor played by Lewis is a kind of live-action version of the nearsighted Mr Magoo.

Musical theme of the picture is the beautiful refrain 'Stella by Starlight'. By starlight or any other light, Stella is beautiful — Stella Stevens, that is, who portrays the professor's student admirer. Stevens is not only gorgeous, she is a very gifted actress. 

The Nutty Professor. (1963). Variety Movie Reviews, (1), 73.

September 11: A very poor day and night of TCM viewing in my opinion.  I doubt if I tune into TCM at all today.  Tomorrow will be eminently more delightful and watchful.  A full 1000% better with wonderful precodes and especially Harlow, Harlow, Harlow.

• Like 1

Clearly Jerry Lewis is not everyone's cup of tea (that can be said of many performers). But there is no denying that Jerry was extremely popular in his day, at least up through the mid 60's. Then either the public tired of Jerry's antic's or the public's tastes changed, probably a little of both. When I was a kid in the 60's I loved Jerry's crazy stuff, watching his many  films when they were on tv  and Jerry made frequent appearances on the small screen, he sometimes pinch hit for Johnny Carson on the Tonight Show. For me as an adult Jerry doesn't have the same appeal as before but some of his gags are timeless. Then there is Jerry's personal life; he has always been something of an egomaniac and can be quite arrogant towards some people. But then again you have to applaud him for his tireless efforts for many charitable causes.  Finally I would say  that Jerry's comic performances more than hold their own against many of the so called "comics" of today.  So watch some of Jerry tonight and appreciate what a talent he was.

• Like 2

Clearly Jerry Lewis is not everyone's cup of tea (that can be said of many performers). But there is no denying that Jerry was extremely popular in his day,

So were pet rocks.

Tomorrow will be eminently more delightful and watchful.  A full 1000% better with wonderful precodes and especially Harlow, Harlow, Harlow

And with arguably her three best movies (Bombshell, Red-Headed Woman and Red Dust) playing back-to-back-to back.  True nirvana for us pre-code fans, even if in this case they've all been shown a million times before.

Maybe the chopsticks stuffed up the nostrils is 'classic comedy' to some but I much prefer the bloated, arrogant Jerry.

I have one of his quotes on my desk.  When a fan asked him for an autograph and she was turned away she tried to tell Jerry that "we fans made you."  His response as quoted in Toronto's Globe and Mail was "I made me.  My talent, my tenacity, my courage.  My no fear of risk, and my natural inclination to stay alive.  You have nothing to do with any of it.  You're just a timid little soul that's a parasite on life.  Now get out of my face."

Yousers!

Maybe the chopsticks stuffed up the nostrils is 'classic comedy' to some but I much prefer the bloated, arrogant Jerry.

I have one of his quotes on my desk.  When a fan asked him for an autograph and she was turned away she tried to tell Jerry that "we fans made you."  His response as quoted in Toronto's Globe and Mail was "I made me.  My talent, my tenacity, my courage.  My no fear of risk, and my natural inclination to stay alive.  You have nothing to do with any of it.  You're just a timid little soul that's a parasite on life.  Now get out of my face."

Yousers!

OMG. Whatta guy...................Guess only the good die young.

Well, the French still apparently love him, but then they also prefer snails to steaks.

• Like 2

I certainly couldn't handle this every day, but I will see some of the movies, or parts of them. Kind of like taking medicine you don't like. Some here sound like they have had horrible experiences watching these though, like they were being held hostage by ISIS, lol.

I did like him as a child, but my tastes changed as I grew up (not putting down anyone who likes him). Kind of like Adam Sandler (to me)...........

I did like him as a child, but my tastes changed as I grew up (not putting down anyone who likes him). Kind of like Adam Sandler (to me)...........

Adam Sandler, I'll take Jerry Lewis in a heartbeat over Sandler's nontalent/nonfunnyness and I have not been a fan of Lewis since I was a wee twerp decades ago.  I loved the antics of a Zero Mostel but I dislike the Totally Zero Sandler. 

Adam Sandler, I'll take Jerry Lewis in a heartbeat over Sandler's nontalent/nonfunnyness and I have not been a fan of Lewis since I was a wee twerp decades ago.  I loved the antics of a Zero Mostel but I dislike the Totally Zero Sandler. 

Probably true. I've never seen an Adam Sandler movie, I'm proud to say. Just know from seeing him on SNL I wouldnt enjoy it.......

Clearly Jerry Lewis is not everyone's cup of tea (that can be said of many performers). But there is no denying that Jerry was extremely popular in his day...watch some of Jerry tonight and appreciate what a talent he was.

He's one of my favorite comedians. While not every gag works in every Jerry Lewis movie, I appreciate his efforts. I think my favorite film of his is THE DELICATE DELINQUENT-- lots of laughs, plus strong characterization combined with sentiment and warmth.

He's one of my favorite comedians. While not every gag works in every Jerry Lewis movie, I appreciate his efforts. I think my favorite film of his is THE DELICATE DELINQUENT-- lots of laughs, plus strong characterization combined with sentiment and warmth.

I'm also a big fan of Jerry.    While this this is just a carry over from my childhood I still enjoy seeing many of this film.

I do understand why his style of humor would rub some the wrong way,  but the same thing applies to all comics. 

The Nutty Professor was not bad but some of the others were horrible. Not sure how Donna Reed got sucked into The Caddie, that thing was a mishit from the tee.

I liked THE CADDY. Loved Dean singing That's Amore. The ending was a bit silly, though-- but overall, it was entertaining.

TCM used a public domain print of AT WAR WITH THE ARMY (not good).

The highlight of the evening: the clips of Ben interviewing Jerry last spring at the TCM Classic Film Festival. They played THE DISORDERLY ORDERLY back then, with extensive festival wraparounds.  But last night we had a full primetime spotlight of Jerry (very good).

The Nutty Professor was not bad but some of the others were horrible. Not sure how Donna Reed got sucked into The Caddie, that thing was a mishit from the tee.

Hey Donna Reed had just completed the film From Here to Eternity.   Who remembers that film today!  But everyone loves The Caddie!   Ok, she won the Oscar for best supporting actress but she was hoping for a best actress nomination for The Caddie.  ;)

I watched The Caddie and I still liked the movie.   Yea, I'm still a sap for Jerry doing silly things.   Oh well!  

Hey Donna Reed had just completed the film From Here to Eternity.   Who remembers that film today!  But everyone loves The Caddie!   Ok, she won the Oscar for best supporting actress but she was hoping for a best actress nomination for The Caddie.  ;)

I watched The Caddie and I still liked the movie.   Yea, I'm still a sap for Jerry doing silly things.   Oh well!  

She was probably on loan out--she had made two films at Paramount in the late 40s with Alan Ladd after she left MGM, then she signed with Columbia (where she spent the majority of the 50s). She would return to Paramount again to play Sacajawea in THE FAR HORIZONS.

Dorothy Malone and Shirley MacLaine also appeared in Martin & Lewis films-- though we do not necessarily associate either one of them with these kinds of pictures.

September 11: A very poor day and night of TCM viewing in my opinion.  I doubt if I tune into TCM at all today.  Tomorrow will be eminently more delightful and watchful.  A full 1000% better with wonderful precodes and especially Harlow, Harlow, Harlow.

The one nice thing about Jerry Lewis movies..some of them have Dean Martin in them and singing too.  I only turned the volume on when Dean Martin sang...or looked like he was singing.  I read Dean's biography "Dino" and after reading it from Dean's point of view when I watched the Martin and Lewis movies all I could think about was what Dean Martin was thinking while trying to keep Jerry from up staging him and poaching in on his lines and film time. 

Thankfully Jerry didn't make enough movies to last for SUTM or anything longer than what we saw.  His interviews were interesting and I am glad they are preserved for history's sake...but an ego..please already it takes up all the space he inhabits leaving little room for the others that supported his "art form". 

• Like 1

what discerning vision some of you wonderful film aficionados possess.

we are certainly blessed that you guys are on the ball!       :)

anyhoo, i was enjoying this flick until i saw lewis dressed in drag in one scene.       smh.gif

TCM used a public domain print of AT WAR WITH THE ARMY (not good).

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings