Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

♠ An Evening of . . . ♠

Mr. Gorman

I'm full of programming ideas lately.  I'm not saying they're all good programming ideas, but at least I'm thinking.  :)

Turner Classic Movies is proud to present:

"A NIGHT OF FORGETFULNESS:  Amnesia Films of the '60s"

Mirage (1965/b&w) Gregory Peck

Mister Buddwing (1966/b&w) James Garner

Third Day, The (1965) George Peppard

Jigsaw (1968) Bradford Dillman

Tagline for the evening:  "Don't be like Elvis . . . he forgot to remember to forget!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Turner Classic Movies presents

"AN EVENING OF COPS, CROOKS AND KILLERS:  Model Year 1968"

Thomas Crown Affair, The (1968)  Steve McQueen, Faye Dunaway

Coogan's Bluff (1968)  Clint Eastwood, Lee J. Cobb

Madigan (1968)  Richard Widmark, Henry Fonda, Inger Stevens

Bullitt (1968)  Steve McQueen, Robert Vaughn

Boston Strangler, The (1968)  Tony Curtis, Henry Fonda 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"ALL NIGHT TRAIL DUST:  6 Westerns from 1971"

One More Train to Rob (1971)  George Peppard

something big (1971)  Dean Martin

Hannie Caulder (1971)  Raquel Welch

Big Jake (1971) John Wayne

Hunting Party, The (1971)  O. Reed, C. Bergen, G. Hackman

Wild Rovers, The (1971)  William Holden, Ryan O'Neal

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TCM Presents

"AN EVENING OF HORROR AND SUSPENSE IN THE BIG APPLE"

Seventh Victim, The (1943)

Rosemary's Baby (1968)

Possession of Joel Delaney, The (1972)

God Told Me To (1976)

Sentinel, The (1977)

Wolfen (1981)

That's enough thinking for a while. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I've been thinking again about programming ideas;  my OCD works hard so TCM's schedulers don't have to!  :P

I noticed a thread begun today about rotten Saturday programming.  From 'NipkowDisc', I believe.

Well, shucks.  Rotten programming is wholly unacceptable.  GAWD! 

With that in mind, it's time for . . .

"AURNESS AT DUSK:  An Evening of Peter Graves Tv Movies"

• I'd schedule these for a folksy Sunday evening in July, esp. since TCM's schedule for June is already out.

8 PM:  Underground Man, The (1974-Tvm)  Peter Graves stars as private eye Lew Archer.    

9:45 PM:  Where Have All the People Gone? (1974-Tvm)  Solar flares send radiation to all! 

11:00 PM:  President's Plane Is Missing, The (1973-Tvm)  Filmed in 1971.  Where did the Pres and his plane go? 

12:45 AM:  SST - Death Flight (1977-Tvm)  An all-star cast suffers '70s-style through a mid-air crisis due to sabotage!  

2:30 AM:  Scream of the Wolf (1974-Tvm)  You won't want to take a night walk after watching this!

3:45 AM:  Call To Danger (1973-Tvm)  PG works for the Justice Dept. in this one.   

5:00 AM:  Valley of Mystery (1967)  Originally filmed as a TVM, but then expanded to 90 minutes and shown in theaters. 

------------------------------------------------

I ought to come up with evenings of movies for Clint Walker, Lee Remick, Lloyd Bridges and Carl Betz.  Leonard Nimoy, too.  Except none of the movies aired would be 'Star Trek' related.  You could see those on any channel.     

Mr. Gorman, if you enjoy this kind of thing, you might be interested in the "TCM Programming Challenge" game /contest/ activity that comes up here once or twice a year.

Here's a link to the latest thread about it:

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/52166-voting-thread-for-tcm-programming-challenge-28/page-3

Or you can pm SansFin, one of the resident experts on the Challenge, for more info.

Although I personally am not up to the Programming Challenge, I believe a lot of people get quite a kick out of it. And if you enjoy coming up with TCM programming ideas, it might be fun for you too.

• Like 1

I admit I am not up to program challenges but I would dearly love to have a day or evening committed to Character Actor of the Month (CAOM) with standouts by James Gleason, Edward Arnold, Eugene Pallete, Mary Wicks, Ward Bond, George Sanders, Frank McHugh and others who provided context and personality or added to the main star's persona.

Bring on the Characters!!!! Sometimes they are more entertaining than the actors, just think of what would the Picture of Dorian Gray be without George Sanders, or The Clock without James Gleason. 

• Like 1

Or you can pm SansFin, one of the resident experts on the Challenge, for more info.

Although I personally am not up to the Programming Challenge, I believe a lot of people get quite a kick out of it. And if you enjoy coming up with TCM programming ideas, it might be fun for you too.

I thank you for your kind words! I am far from expert but I have entered several Challenges and my entries have not been considered so very bad as to cause banning me from this forum.

I thank you very much for mentioning TCM Programming Challenge as it is indeed wonderful creative enjoyment as well as being excellent method of bringing themes and movies to attention of real-world TCM Programmers.

Any person is truly welcome to PM me concerning any questions which they might have concerning Challenges or entry.

I am sorry that you do not feel as if you are not capable of entering a schedule. I am quite sure that you would be quite brilliant. 

• Like 1

I admit I am not up to program challenges but I would dearly love to have a day or evening committed to Character Actor of the Month (CAOM) with standouts by James Gleason, Edward Arnold, Eugene Pallete, Mary Wicks, Ward Bond, George Sanders, Frank McHugh and others who provided context and personality or added to the main star's persona.

I believe that your idea is excellent basis for schedule for Challenge!

Capuchin had schedule for: TCM Programming Challenge #13 which featured character actors in: Star-of-the-Month-like week. He gave half-day to each of: James Gleason, Wilfrid Hyde-White, Alan Hale, Judith Anderson, Eugene Pallette, Alan Mowbray, S. Z. Sakall, Harry (Henry) Morgan and Edward Everett Horton.

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/25188-the-tcm-programming-challenge-13-the-voting-thread/page-10

Your schedule would not seem repetitious if you do it well because his schedule was so very rubbish that it was tied for last place in voting. 

You need only collect list of movies for each actor whom you wish to feature and then find length of movies using TCMdb or imdb.com and then fit those movies into: 6:00AM to 7:00PM schedule for daytime or 7:00PM to 6:00AM schedule for evening so that they do not overlap or intrude into next day. It is custom that you must fit in also: Silent movie and foreign movie and Essential and Underground movie but I believe many character actors appeared in movies suitable and so you need only place them in appropriate evening.

Bring on the Characters!!!! Sometimes they are more entertaining than the actors, just think of what would the Picture of Dorian Gray be without George Sanders, or The Clock without James Gleason. 

Ah, too bad you missed TCM Programming Challenge #27.  I was the moderator for Challenge #27 and my Challenge was for all participants to make a character actor the Star of the Month.   Such fun and we got some great suggestions for character actor SOTMs.  Check out the archives for TCM Programming Challenge #27 and see who made the cut. When I do a programming challenge I never miss a chance to salute some of my favorite character actors which includes all of the folks you have named and many, many more.  Character actors are the heart and soul of classic films.

Lydecker 

Howzabout an evening of Clint Walker westerns? 

Fort Dobbs (1958) @ 8 PM

Yellowstone Kelly (1959) @ 9:30 PM

Gold of the Seven Saints (1961) @ 11:15 PM

Night of the Grizzly (1966) @ 1 AM

More Dead Than Alive (1969) @ 2:45 AM

Pancho Villa (1972) @ 4:30 AM

Could be a fun evening.  :)

Ok, for laughs, how about a "best of Bobby Darin" night?

SHADOWS,

If A Man Answers

Hell Is For Heroes

Pressure Point

Well, just a thought.  I DO feel PRESSURE POINT is probably his best effort!

Sepiatone

Howzabout an evening of Clint Walker westerns? 

I find this wonderful even although Westerns are in general not to my taste.

I hope you will continue to create these so that you will have sufficient day and evening schedules so that you may assemble them into week for entry into next TCM Programming Challenge.

• Like 1

• I think Howard Cosell would be proud of your "seamy side of boxing" film picks, DownGoesFrazier.  :)

• Sepiatone > Don't forgot Bobby Darin's turns in CAPTAIN NEWMAN, M.D. (1963), GUNFIGHT IN ABILENE (1967) and THE HAPPY ENDING (1969) where I believe he's billed as "Robert Darin".   

• SansFin, I'll try to keep coming up with programming ideas that I think would make for interesting viewing.  Look for some weird notions of what movies TCM could air.  I'm always thinking about different sorts of lists of movies . . . 

Here's 4 movies that would make for an unusual evening of programming:

TERESA GRAVES (1948-2002).  Statuesque black actress who gave up acting around 1976 to concentrate on spiritual pursuits.  I believe she became a devout Jehovah's Witness.  Later died as a result of a house fire in 2002 at age 54.  (Two other character actors died as a result of housefires around the same time as Ms. Graves:  DENNIS PATRICK and ROYCE D. APPLEGATE).  Teresa Graves also appeared on 'Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In' for a season or two circa 1969/70.

♣ PROGRAMMING ♣

8 PM:  "Get Christie Love!" (1974-Tvm) Color/100m.  Pilot to the series that ran from 1974-75

9:45 PM:  "That Man Bolt" (1973) Color/105m.  w/Fred Williamson

11:30 PM:  "Black Eye" (1974) Color/98m.  w/Fred Williamson

1:15 AM:  "Vampira" (1974-UK) Color/89m.  w/David Niven

• I think Howard Cosell would be proud of your "seamy side of boxing" film picks, DownGoesFrazier.  :)

• Sepiatone > Don't forgot Bobby Darin's turns in CAPTAIN NEWMAN, M.D. (1963), GUNFIGHT IN ABILENE (1967) and THE HAPPY ENDING (1969) where I believe he's billed as "Robert Darin".   

• SansFin, I'll try to keep coming up with programming ideas that I think would make for interesting viewing.  Look for some weird notions of what movies TCM could air.  I'm always thinking about different sorts of lists of movies . . . 

Here's 4 movies that would make for an unusual evening of programming:

TERESA GRAVES (1948-2002).  Statuesque black actress who gave up acting around 1976 to concentrate on spiritual pursuits.  I believe she became a devout Jehovah's Witness.  Later died as a result of a house fire in 2002 at age 54.  (Two other character actors died as a result of housefires around the same time as Ms. Graves:  DENNIS PATRICK and ROYCE D. APPLEGATE).  Teresa Graves also appeared on 'Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In' for a season or two circa 1969/70.

♣ PROGRAMMING ♣

8 PM:  "Get Christie Love!" (1974-Tvm) Color/100m.  Pilot to the series that ran from 1974-75

9:45 PM:  "That Man Bolt" (1973) Color/105m.  w/Fred Williamson

11:30 PM:  "Black Eye" (1974) Color/98m.  w/Fred Williamson

1:15 AM:  "Vampira" (1974-UK) Color/89m.  w/David Niven

Many thought that boxing had no other side than the seamy side. That's why it has become a minor sport.

I remember Teresa Graves, and didn't know about her tragic death that long ago!  sad news, I liked her and remember her "Laugh-In" stint, and I believe she had a TV show called "Get Christy Love" about some black woman detective ot private eye or something.  She converted shortly BEFORE that show, I think.

Yeah, I remember and liked Bobby Darin's performance in CAPTAIN NEWMAN, MD.  But, as it wasn't a Darin STARRING role or movie, I ommitted it from my list.

And I wouldn't object to an evening of LEE REMICK in ANYthing!

Sepiatone

I'm full of programming ideas lately.  I'm not saying they're all good programming ideas, but at least I'm thinking.  :)

Turner Classic Movies is proud to present:

"A NIGHT OF FORGETFULNESS:  Amnesia Films of the '60s"

Mirage (1965/b&w) Gregory Peck

Mister Buddwing (1966/b&w) James Garner

Third Day, The (1965) George Peppard

Jigsaw (1968) Bradford Dillman

Tagline for the evening:  "Don't be like Elvis . . . he forgot to remember to forget!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"AN EVENING OF COPS, CROOKS AND KILLERS:  Model Year 1968"

Thomas Crown Affair, The (1968)  Steve McQueen, Faye Dunaway

Coogan's Bluff (1968)  Clint Eastwood, Lee J. Cobb

Madigan (1968)  Richard Widmark, Henry Fonda, Inger Stevens

Bullitt (1968)  Steve McQueen, Robert Vaughn

Boston Strangler, The (1968)  Tony Curtis, Henry Fonda 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"ALL NIGHT TRAIL DUST:  6 Westerns from 1971"

One More Train to Rob (1971)  George Peppard

something big (1971)  Dean Martin

Hannie Caulder (1971)  Raquel Welch

Big Jake (1971) John Wayne

Hunting Party, The (1971)  O. Reed, C. Bergen, G. Hackman

Wild Rovers, The (1971)  William Holden, Ryan O'Neal

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TCM Presents

"AN EVENING OF HORROR AND SUSPENSE IN THE BIG APPLE"

Seventh Victim, The (1943)

Rosemary's Baby (1968)

Possession of Joel Delaney, The (1972)

God Told Me To (1976)

Sentinel, The (1977)

Wolfen (1981)

That's enough thinking for a while. 

Love your programming idee, especially for Saturdays.

I thank you for the compliment, Janet. 

Sepiatone:  I'm very fond of Lee Remick as well.  Starting around 1973 she appeared in a spate of made-for-television movies and mini-series and after 1980's "The Competition" I don't recall any theatrical features she appeared in.  Lots of TVM's, though!   

• 2 months later...

How about an evening of JOANNE WOODWARD movies?  This will be a little different, however.

------------------------------------------------------------------

ON A TOASTY TUESDAY NIGHT IN AUGUST THE TURNER CLASSIC MOVIE CHANNEL IS PROUD TO PRESENT "WOODWARD ON TV":

8 PM:  See How She Runs (1978-Tvm) Color/100m.  Woodward won an Emmy for her performance here. 

9:45 PM:  Streets of L.A., The (1979-Tvm) Color/100m.  Joanne seeks out the punks in the barrio who slashed her tyres! 

11:30 PM:  Shadow Box, The (1980-Tvm) Color/100m.  Directed by Paul Newman.  Terminally ill patients and their families at a rustic retreat.

1:15 PM:  Crisis at Central High (1981-Tvm) Color/125m.  Joanne stars in the true-life Tv movie about the integration of a high school in Little Rock, Arkansas in 1957.  Based on the story of teacher Elizabeth Huckaby. 

3:30 PM:  Christmas to Remember, A (1978-Tvm) Color/100m.  w/Jason Robards, Eva Marie Saint, George Parry and Joanne.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Were I doing to the programming for the evening of Oct. 31 here's what I'd air:

8 PM:  "Witchmaker, The" (1969)  D:  William O. Brown.  Starring Anthony Eisley, Thordis Brandt, Alvy Moore, Helene Winston and John Lodge as 'Luther the Berserk'.  *

10 PM:  "Brotherhood of Satan" (1971)  D:  Bernard McEveety.  Starring Strother Martin, Charles Bateman, Ahna Capri, L.Q. Jones, Alvy Moore, Helene Winston.  *

11:45 PM:  "Enter the Devil" (1972)  D:  Frank Q. Dobbs.  Filmed in Terlingua, Texas.  Starring Joshua Bryant, Irene Kelly, Dave Cass, Norris Domingue.  The title of this movie should really be "Disciples of Death", but it isn't . . . oh well.  I like this sparsely populated movie.   

1 PM:   "Blood on Satan's Claw, The" (1970-UK).  D:  Piers Haggard.  Starring Patrick Wymark (who died in late 1970, btw), Linda Hayden as the sinister Angel Blake, Barry Andrews, Michele Dotrice, Anthony Ainley, Tamara Ustinov and a bunch of evil farm children. 

2:45 PM:  "Satan's Blood" (1978-Spanish).  I've seen the English-dubbed version of this on MOGUL Video.  It's a pretty good movie, esp. if you like lots of sleaze and eerie atmosphere.  I know I do.  

4:30 PM:  "Night of the Demons" (1987)  Un-cut version only!  D:  Kevin S. Tenney.   

* The same production company made "The Witchmaker" and "Brotherhood of Satan".  

For Oct. 31st, 2015:

8:00 p.m.--"The Legend of Hell House"--(1973)--scared the **** out of me in 1975.

10:00 p.m.--"The Wicker Man"--(1973)--One of Christopher Lee's best horror films, IMHO.

12:00 a.m.--"Scream & Scream Again" (1970)--TCM Premiere--Christopher Lee & Vincent Price.  :)  

2:00 a.m.--"Theatre of Blood" (1973)--Price's character revenges himself upon critics & has a bloody good time doing so.  :)

4:00--"The Masque of the Red Death"--(1964)--based loosely upon the Poe poem.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings