Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Letterbox Interlude

Emily Dean

How many would like to see an end to the Letterbox explanation, only to be resurrected 10 years hence.  I think by now the whole TV watching world knows about the letterbox effect and quite frankly I hit the remote immediately. 

Now no need to become hostile in response to this post...it is just my viewpoint and I am interested to determine what the TCM viewing public think.  I know production time is expensive but I wouldn't mind just seeing the actual movie previews for the coming week's films as you saw them in the theatre. 

Anyway...just a thought.

How many would like to see an end to the Letterbox explanation, only to be resurrected 10 years hence.  I think by now the whole TV watching world knows about the letterbox effect and quite frankly I hit the remote immediately. 

Now no need to become hostile in response to this post...it is just my viewpoint and I am interested to determine what the TCM viewing public think.  I know production time is expensive but I wouldn't mind just seeing the actual movie previews for the coming week's films as you saw them in the theatre. 

Anyway...just a thought.

You expected disagreement? People who just can't get enough of that "Letterbox" segment? I get the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it..

And Sidney Pollack gets (got?) the heebie-jeebies thinking about BEN-HUR in "pan and scan" . . .  

And I get the Heebie-Jeebies thinking about Sydney Pollack discussing Letterbox long after his demise.  I am certain he didn't want to be remembered as "The Guy From the Letterbox Interlude" in his pantheon of films and roles.

And I get the Heebie-Jeebies thinking about Sydney Pollack discussing Letterbox long after his demise.  I am certain he didn't want to be remembered as "The Guy From the Letterbox Interlude" in his pantheon of films and roles.

I guess we'll never know if Mr. Pollack wanted the Letterbox vignette to be part of his legacy . . .

I guess we'll never know if Mr. Pollack wanted the Letterbox vignette to be part of his legacy . . .

No, BUT there's little doubt now that when it came to either getting a case of "The "Heebie-Jeebies" OR "The Willies", Sydney will now and forevermore be remembered for contracting the FORMER and NOT the latter whenever something creeped him out.

'Cause of course we NOW have documented PROOF to support this contention, AND of course this PROOF is seemingly endlessly shown on TCM!

(....and so let NO man, OR woman for THAT matter, forget this!!!)

No, BUT there's little doubt now that when it came to either getting a case of "The "Heebie-Jeebies" OR "The Willies", Sydney will now and forevermore be remembered for contracting the FORMER and NOT the latter whenever something creeped him out.

'Cause of course we NOW have documented PROOF to support this contention, AND of course this PROOF is seemingly endlessly shown on TCM!

(....and so let NO man, OR woman for THAT matter, forget this!!!)

Yes, Dargo.

And for that reason alone the Letterbox Vignette is a valuable artifact that should be treasured, nay REVERED.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings