Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Paraphilia of Fetishism

Palmerin

What do the Westerns RIVER OF NO RETURN, THE TALL MEN, and RIO BRAVO have in common? That their stars, respectively Marilyn Monroe, Jane Russell, and Angie Dickinson, all wear at some moment in the story high heeled pointy toed pumps of the 1950s.

What's with that clearly anachronistic footwear that made men so hot and bothered at that point in the 20th century? Personally I find it grotesque and ugly and not at all attractive.

What do the Westerns RIVER OF NO RETURN, THE TALL MEN, and RIO BRAVO have in common? That their stars, respectively Marilyn Monroe, Jane Russell, and Angie Dickinson, all wear at some moment in the story high heeled pointy toed pumps of the 1950s.

What's with that clearly anachronistic footwear that made men so hot and bothered at that point in time? Personally I find it grotesque and ugly and not at all attractive.

Well Palmerin, while your acute powers of observation in noting the anachronistic footwear to be spied in those westerns is most admirable, I must take slight exception to your specific use of the phrase, "that made men so hot and bothered at that point in time."

'Cause while YOU might find this style of female footwear "grotesque and ugly", I personally still to this very day think it's really REALLY hot whenever I spot a woman sportin' the classic high-heel pump style of shoe.

(...but then again I will readily admit to bein' a "dirty old man" now days!) LOL

;)

While I can't speak on behalf of men who get hot and bothered over pointy-toed high heels...

Frankly, just the idea of wearing those myself makes me cringe in discomfort...

but, anyway, I digress,

I believe the whole point of the pointy-toed high heel shoe is that they elongate the woman's legs.  The high heels, by nature, cause a woman's spine to appear more curved, her front and backsides to protrude more-- enhancing her "femininity." 

Too bad that many women who wear high heels all the time end up with nasty looking feet. 

I believe the whole point of the pointy-toed high heel shoe is that they elongate the woman's legs.  The high heels, by nature, cause a woman's spine to appear more curved, her front and backsides to protrude more-- enhancing her "femininity." 

Yep Speedy, that of course IS the whole point of it, except don't forget here that with that whole "enhancing her femininity" aspect you brought up here ALSO comes the aspect of "objectification of her sexuality" factor, and thus because this factor is now somewhat controversial in today's world and since the advent of the Women's Liberation movement, high heels have become somewhat of a point-of-contention not ONLY for the discomfort they bring to some women but also because of this "objectification" factor.

Too bad that many women who wear high heels all the time end up with nasty looking feet. 

Yeah maybe, but I'm sure you have also noticed that women who wear high heels "all the time" seem to most often be of shorter than average status.

(...years ago for a short while I dated a woman who was about "5 foot-nothin'", and I swear if she could have figured out a way to wear high heels while playing tennis, she would have in a heartbeat...gotta admit though that for a little thing, she sure did have a pair of very shapely legs...ah, but there I go "objectifyin' women" again, huh!!!) LOL

Yep Speedy, that of course IS the whole point of it, except don't forget here that with that whole "enhancing her femininity" aspect you brought up here ALSO comes the aspect of "objectification of her sexuality" factor, and thus because this factor is now somewhat controversial in today's world and since the advent of the Women's Liberation movement, high heels have become somewhat of a point-of-contention not ONLY for the discomfort they bring to some women but also because of this "objectification" factor.

Yeah maybe, but I'm sure you have also noticed that women who wear high heels "all the time" seem to most often be of shorter than average status.

(...years ago for a short while I dated a woman who was about "5 foot-nothin'", and I swear if she could have figured out a way to wear high heels while playing tennis, she would have in a heartbeat...gotta admit though that for a little thing, she sure did have a pair of very shapely legs...ah, but there I go "objectifyin' women" again, huh!!!) LOL

Lol.  I am only 5'2, so I suppose I'd be an ideal candidate for those shoes; but I hate them.  I can't stand wearing them.  I have one pair and if I feel that I "have" to wear them, I always bring a pair of flats in my purse and quickly change out of the wretched things when I've finally had enough.  I'm the girl you'd see at a club or something wearing flat black boots or Converse among all the other women teetering on their heels.  I'm also the one you'd see who is still wearing her shoes when most other women are now barefoot and carrying their shoes, or are now sitting because their feet hurt so much. 

I've heard the argument against the objectification of women via high heels.  I suppose it would depend on the intent of the wearer as to why she's wearing them.

It seems that these days, high heels seem to be the only socially acceptable shoes for women to wear to certain events or with certain attire.  There are some women who wear them all the time and cannot bear to wear anything else.  I've seen women wearing heels at Disneyland.  Disneyland of all places, where you could easily walk 10 miles a day.  No thanks.  I'd like to know why those women feel that heels are the only things they can wear.

• Like 1

I confess to being one of those dames who love high heels.  When I was small I was fascinated by my mother's heels and women wearing them on TV.  I don't think I have a shoe fetish (well, perhaps!), but own an obscene number of shoes and boots.  I don't wear high heels as regularly as I used to, but do wear them out to dinner and events, and wear a lower heel (but always a heel!) when out and about in public.  I find a rounded-toed variety to be more comfortable, and a small platform makes walking easier.

The higher the heel the closer to God.  ;)

• Like 2

In response to the OP, women's shoes through the ages have had pointy toes and heels:

xs0139t.jpg

Although I realize you said "high heeled pointy toed pumps" not boots.

Yes, pointed toes and even the pictured "stacked" heel elongates the leg and shortens the foot-considered "feminine". Look at how gorgeous Garbo was chided about her "big canoe boat" feet. Not unlike the Japanese culture, dainty hands and feet were attractive feminine attributes. (nowadays it must be severe pulled back hair/tattoos/rolls of fat since that's what I see the kids sportin')

I'm 5'2" as well and had a foot injury that prohibits a tight toebox and thin or high heel. No one has ever noticed or cared I don't wear high heels-and anyone who would care- I don't care about.

My favorite heel style- which I'm glad is coming back- is the Louis XV heel and Cuban heel. Both started by men FOR men to simply elevate their height. To me French heels look like flapper's shoes:

1-P1000365-96x96.jpg1-P1000357-96x96.jpg

• Like 1

In response to the OP, women's shoes through the ages have had pointy toes and heels:

xs0139t.jpg

Although I realize you said "high heeled pointy toed pumps" not boots.

Yes, pointed toes and even the pictured "stacked" heel elongates the leg and shortens the foot-considered "feminine". Look at how gorgeous Garbo was chided about her "big canoe boat" feet. Not unlike the Japanese culture, dainty hands and feet were attractive feminine attributes. (nowadays it must be severe pulled back hair/tattoos/rolls of fat since that's what I see the kids sportin')

I'm 5'2" as well and had a foot injury that prohibits a tight toebox and thin or high heel. No one has ever noticed or cared I don't wear high heels-and anyone who would care- I don't care about.

My favorite heel style- which I'm glad is coming back- is the Louis XV heel and Cuban heel. Both started by men FOR men to simply elevate their height. To me French heels look like flapper's shoes:

1-P1000365-96x96.jpg1-P1000357-96x96.jpg

Where'd ya find the pix of all these shoes here, Tiki?

WAIT, don't tell me. From that copy of the 1903 Montgomery-Ward mail order catalog, RIGHT?!

(....page 47 to be exact, RIGHT?!) ;)

to my mind, the pointed-toe spiked heeled shoes are comparable to the old Japanese tradition of foot-binding: unnaturally restrictive, painful and unhealthy to the wearer, while mysteriously and condescendingly cruelly attractive to many the male onlooker. One of the last vestiges of Western female suppression.

footbinding.jpg

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings