Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ben Mankiewicz

28Silent

Isn't it funny when after a movie  when ben dsicusses  the film or actor,he might mention a classic film that t.c.m has not shown yet and may never be shown?.Is he trying to give a hint  to his bosses to put out more variety of classic films? Proabably not.He's just making his conversation more interesting  with  non t.cm film classics.He's like the rest any how ,in my opinion, a fan of corporate controll clasic film.What's not put out They can live without. :D

Isn't it funny when after a movie  when ben dsicusses  the film or actor,he might mention a classic film that t.c.m has not shown yet and may never be shown?.Is he trying to give a hint  to his bosses to put out more variety of classic films? Proabably not.He's just making his conversation more interesting  with  non t.cm film classics.He's like the rest any how ,in my opinion, a fan of corporate controll clasic film.What's not put out They can live without. :D

He's a regular mensch now. You shoulda seen (and heard) him when he had facial hair! :wacko:

What ELSE do you expect?  After all, the "M" in TCM stands for "MOVIES"----NOT "Mankiewicz".

Sepiatone

I am a strong supporter of Ben Mankiewicz and before everyone starts down playing his role on TCM...let me say this.  He adds variety to the approach, a different basis of knowledge and a different generation's perspective on the movies he introduces and the comments he makes.  Quite frankly on Saturday when I really don't give too much interest to the movies on I will always listen to Ben's introductions and follow-ups.  They add to my watching enjoyment and may cause me to explore or look at a movie in a different way. 

Just like Robert Osborne, he has a terrific knowledge and relationship to the movies, the movie industry and other facets of the movie making process.  When you think about his close kinship (Hank, Joe and Tom) who wrote and directed some of the great movies of the classic era (think All About Eve, Citizen Kane, and even Cleopatra) which I believe did poor Joe Mankiewicz in...he has had very good exposure to the whole genre of movies and movie making.

I would recommend anyone who is a true movie lover to read the biographies of the Mankiewicz's to really understand why Ben's introduction video...states " the movies are in my blood they are part of who I am."

I for one would like for Ben to repeat his interviews and the day he spent with his father reviewing Mankiewicz moves.  Hearing Ben and his Father talk would be similar to a "heavenly" well maybe not in retrospect heavenly,  discussion with the Warner Brothers.....

• Like 1

Movies may be in his blood, but  I dont think he has a vast knowledge of movies, no more so than some people on this board (and maybe less so). He mistakenly stated Edith Head designed the costumes in the intro to Sylark on Sunday. If she did, Irene got the credit in the credits.............

It's more than a generic "nice guy".  A mensch is a stand-up guy who demonstrates his character and integrity at the most needed times.  He's not just someone you'd want to have a beer with.

AND, let's not forget here Andy, it's ALSO a guy who'd take the time to delete a double post of his should that occasion arise! ;)

Movies may be in his blood, but  I dont think he has a vast knowledge of movies, no more so than some people on this board (and maybe less so). He mistakenly stated Edith Head designed the costumes in the intro to Sylark on Sunday. If she did, Irene got the credit in the credits.............

Yes I caught that as well and even Robert Osborne occasionally has been unable to add correctly, last week on the Jewish Experience he noted The Juggler came out 15 years after the WWII and the Holocost when in fact the movie was made in 1952 and if I can add correctly that is only 7 years which is why I believe, personally, the movie was a first of its kind.

Yes I caught that as well and even Robert Osborne occasionally has been unable to add correctly, last week on the Jewish Experience he noted The Juggler came out 15 years after the WWII and the Holocost when in fact the movie was made in 1952 and if I can add correctly that is only 7 years which is why I believe, personally, the movie was a first of its kind.

At the mercy of their fact checkers............Apparently they dont read the intros through beforehand to catch errors........

• Like 1

It's more than a generic "nice guy".  A mensch is a stand-up guy who demonstrates his character and integrity at the most needed times.  He's not just someone you'd want to have a beer with.

It also depends on whether your Jewish or just German. In German, Mensch (capitalized because it's a noun) is just the word for a person, or in compounds like Menschenrechte which means "human rights".

Alternatively, Mensch is this:

maedn_produkte_05.jpg

:D

It also depends on whether your Jewish or just German. In German, Mensch (capitalized because it's a noun) is just the word for a person, or in compounds like Menschenrechte which means "human rights".

maedn_produkte_05.jpg

Italian here, not Jewish. Grandmothers the same in both cases.

I learned all my Yiddish from television and movies. Wish I knew German, but I don't.

Infidel has the funniest instruction on how to be Jewish I've ever seen. Oy.

maedn_produkte_05.jpg

While that's literally true, in American parlance the Yiddish meaning of mensch is the only one I've heard used for my entire life.  And I'm not Jewish.   I've always heard it used as a word of admiration, not as a value-free description.

In Germany I realize this wouldn't be the case, but then I've never been to Germany.  And seldom to Milwaukee. B)

maedn_produkte_05.jpg

Does that mean that there are no German men who are nice guys?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings