Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Programming Challenge #27 Coming Soon

lydecker

This is quite wonderful! I had begun to wonder if you had forgotten it.

Will you be giving hints prior to opening the Challenge?

Hints?? I had not thought about that!  Perhaps . . .

There will be 2 required Challenges and 1 optional Challenge.  

Lydecker

There will be 2 required Challenges and 1 optional Challenge.  

Will we be allowed extra Premieres for the optional Challenge?

Is it acceptable to combine the two required Challenges? I mean by this that if one requirement is to showcase a state and the other requirement is to showcase desserts then can we combine them to present movies depicting cheesecakes in Ohio?

Is it acceptable to combine the two required Challenges? I mean by this that if one requirement is to showcase a state and the other requirement is to showcase desserts then can we combine them to present movies depicting cheesecakes in Ohio?

This translates to: SansFin's schedule is already complete :)

• Like 1

This translates to: SansFin's schedule is already complete :)

I wish it were so! :)

I do know which star I want for the SOTM and I have a theme which I would like to use for the Friday Night Spotlight. My weakness is that I have been making notes of which movies that I would like to Premiere. The list contains now thirty-nine entries. I fear I will not be able to use most of them unless Lydecker makes it a total wild-card Challenge with no limits.

I have weakness also that I am afraid I might be a little constrained for time. I should prepare early but I often find inspiration from required themes. 

For Challenge 1 you may have 2 films which will not count against your 10 premiere allotment.

Same goes for Challenge 2.  This will not be the case for Challenge 3 which is an optional challenge.

In other words, you will be able to use up to 14 premieres in this challenge. As always, Silent Sunday, TCM Imports and TCM Underground do not count against your premiere total.

I will say, most immodestly, that I am really excited about the theme(s) for this challenge! 

Lydecker

Cheesecake in Ohio.  What a revolting thought!

Lydecker

I love how the costumes in THE HEIRESS tell the story and show Olivia de Havilland's character arc (arch?). At the beginning she's under her dad's thumb and in her gorgeous mom's shadow, so her costumes are conservative, dull, and don't fit too well:

deh0-009.jpg

heiress.gif

At the Ball she tries WAY too hard with a "cherry red" overdone dress:

1949+the+heiress+odh.jpg

At the end she is confident in this beautiful, tasteful, very fashionable, best fitting dress:

heiress.jpg

I don't think it will be possible to combine Challenges 1 & 2 nor will  it be likely that you would want to combine them.  The challenges are related . . .but different.  (How's that for confusing?) However, all will make sense in 6 days!

Lydecker

I love how the costumes in THE HEIRESS tell the story and show Olivia de Havilland's character arc (arch?). At the beginning she's under her dad's thumb and in her gorgeous mom's shadow, so her costumes are conservative, dull, and don't fit too well:

At the Ball she tries WAY too hard with a "cherry red" overdone dress:

At the end she is confident in this beautiful, tasteful, very fashionable, best fitting dress:

The Heiress is a great example of how costumes can be used to tell a story and express the inner feelings of a character.  Like the old saying;  a picture tells a thousand words. 

The Heiress is a very moving film and one of my favorites.    Olivia showed that she was right up there with the other greats like Davis and Stanwyck.

Lydecker, how you taunt us, just like your namesake! I'm pretty excited to see what you demand. Glad there's room for more premieres, since I too always want to schedule way more than allowed. :)

I have had a thought that it would be interesting to have a Challenge in which you could not use movies in the original Turner library or movies which have aired on TCM. It must be all Premieres! :)

I believe I could fill with ease a month of such schedules.

Tick, tock.  Tick, tock.  Less than 6 hours to the start of TCM Programming Challenge #27. And, by an amazing coincidence (or not) LAURA is tonight's Essential. What synergy.

I'll be putting up 2 separate posts for Challenge #27  --  One with the theme and the specific Challenges for #27 and another with all the relevant "who," "what," "when, "where," "why" and "how"  information.

Hope to see lots of great schedules.

Lydecker

"I would be sincerely sorry to see my neighbors' children devoured by wolves."

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings