Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lady Killer & Mae Clarke

Janet0312

What a treat! I had my morning cup of java when this flick was on. I wonder how the heck Mae Clarke came through this picture after Jimmy Cagney roughed her up so. The scene where he grabs her by the hair and yanks her off the bed, drags her across the room and then kicks her in the back out into the hallway is quite the scene. How did she manage to survive???

What a treat! I had my morning cup of java when this flick was on. I wonder how the heck Mae Clarke came through this picture after Jimmy Cagney roughed her up so. The scene where he grabs her by the hair and yanks her off the bed, drags her across the room and then kicks her in the back out into the hallway is quite the scene. How did she manage to survive???

When Cagney grabbed Mae by the hair she grabbed his wrist and so he wasn't pulling her by the hair as she helt on to his wrist She explained the scene in an interview years ago...

Mae Clarke is great. I have mentioned this before in other threads-- usually, every time people talk about her it is in relation to Cagney. But she was much more than that. As evidenced by her work in THREE WISE GIRLS and PAROLE GIRL (both aired today on TCM), she had chemistry with many other stars like Jean Harlow and Ralph Bellamy. Later, she became a very valuable member of the Republic Pictures stock company in the 1940s and 1950s-- appearing either in lead roles in countless B films, or as a supporting player (later character parts) in A pictures at Republic. She had a long career in Hollywood and was well regarded by coworkers.  She definitely deserves a SUTS day-long tribute.

• Like 2

Very true, but I wondered how she took all those hard knocks. I mean Cagney was pretty rough.

Yes I understand. I just would like to see people value Mae Clarke the overall actress not Mae Clarke the Cagney punching bag. Again, she is much more than the three films she made with him. She made 89 theatrical films and did a considerable amount of television. Probably a lot of radio programs, too.

Yes I understand. I just would like to see people value Mae Clarke the overall actress not Mae Clarke the Cagney punching bag. Again, she is much more than the three films she made with him. She made 89 theatrical films and did a considerable amount of television. Probably a lot of radio programs, too.

I'm a fan of Mae Clarke and she should be more well known for the films she made where she wasn't Cagney's punching bag.   This is why I found this thread so strange.     Instead of focusing on Clarke and the other movies she made it's focus is more on Cagney and how his character in this film (as well as others),  can't control his use of violence.   Of course in many of these early WB movies the Cagney persona was that of a hot headed immature man.

I'm a fan of Mae Clarke and she should be more well known for the films she made where she wasn't Cagney's punching bag.   This is why I found this thread so strange.     Instead of focusing on Clarke and the other movies she made it's focus is more on Cagney and how his character in this film (as well as others),  can't control his use of violence.   Of course in many of these early WB movies the Cagney persona was that of a hot headed immature man.

Right.  Here's a comment someone wrote about her on the IMDB, describing what made her so special:

I just watched Mae in "Three Wise Girls" with Harlow and Marie Prevost. Mae impressed me with her very interesting screen presence. Her acting style, with its naturalness and lack of artificiality, seems unusual to me, considering when the film was made. She was very appealing. No wonder she had such a long career.

And then someone else replied:

I never saw the movie you mentioned, although I'd surely love to. Its cast sounds just wonderful. But Mae's performance in "Waterloo Bridge" is absolutely amazing and should be recognized as one of the greatest of all time. Not that there was something wrong with the acting style of the '30s - which I absolutely love- but Mae's style was really something special and stands out by being that natural and with no affectation. 

On the other hand, it was interesting to see her, for instance, in "The Great Guy", where she plays a much more "modern" girl. She pulls it off exactly in the same magnificent way. 

Yes, she had a long career, but I wish it was as the big star she deserved to be, instead of having finished it with uncredited roles, cameos and such, which is pitiful and totally unfair. The great Mae Clarke deserved something much better than that. 

Why do you find my thread "so strange"? All I wanted to know when I got up this morning was how Ms. Clarke made out after Jimmy Cagney kicked her ****. Take a chill pill.

Why do you find my thread "so strange"? All I wanted to know when I got up this morning was how Ms. Clarke made out after Jimmy Cagney kicked her ****. Take a chill pill.

They were acting.   I'm sure Mae got up in the morning,  was fine, and had her usual grapefruit.   

What I felt was strange was the comment that Mae's character deserve what she got when I mentioned Rice could use this film in his defense.     One has to be very clueless to make such a comment even if they are on ice.

They were acting.   I'm sure Mae got up in the morning,  was fine, and had her usual grapefruit.   

What I felt was strange was the comment that Mae's character deserve what she got when I mentioned Rice could use this film in his defense.     One has to be very clueless to make such a comment even if they are on ice.

I’m clueless. That’s nice. I come here to find out info about movies and I’m clueless. Thanks. That was an unwarranted remark.

The reason I posted this thread was because I thought the scene where Cagney tosses Mae Clarke out on her butt was pretty darn well done and I wanted to know how she did it. Kudos to Ms. Clarke. And it was a great movie. I enjoyed it. Sorry I’m in the world.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings