Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

problems streaming On Demand films from TCM

MFFE

I have been having issues while trying to stream TCM Movies On Demand for about two months now.  Until yesterday I blamed this on my ISP but not I am not so sure.  They have never been able to solve the problem after numerous discussions with me about it.  Yesterday (Saturday, September 21, 2014) I spent most of the day trying to gather more facts - here is what I now know.

The problem is TCM will not stream continuously from my laptop to my new Samsung TV.  The issue seems to be both day and time oriented.  On weekdays, during the morning, it seems to work OK.  Later in the day it gets worse and by mid afternoon and evening it is pronounced.  Friday afternoon and weekends is the worst, so I am wondering if it is user related, and at its worst when more people may be streaming TCM.  I have a home network that is hard wired from a Cisco router.   I stream from a laptop that is plugged into my network and I use an HDMI cable from the laptop to the TV.  My ISP connection is generally in the range of 7 to 9 MB per second.  Here is what I did yesterday in an attempt to understand it better:

In the early morning hours (about 4 a.m.) I streamed a movie from TCM to my work station computer while I was checking my email.  It worked OK.  In the early afternoon, about 1:30 p.m., I began watching the film "Billy Budd" on TCM.  About 20 minutes into the film it stalled and loaded for a minute or so, and then began playing again.  It did this same cycle of playing a few minutes and loading for another minute or so many times until I gave up.  I then changed to my Roku box and went to Netflix and watched two movies lasting about 3 hours with no problems.  Then I went back to streaming from my laptop in an attempt to finish Billy Budd.  The first 40 minutes or so was fine, with only one or two instances where it stopped to load.  Then it went into a cycle of playing for less than a minute and loading for 1 to 2 minutes.  It did this perhaps 6 times, then the intervals increased until there was only about 8 minutes left in the film.  Then it went back to playing only 20 or 30 seconds at a time and loading for a minute or longer in each instance.  I finally finished the film.

Then I went to YouTube, streaming from the same laptop to my TV, and watched Pink Floyd for an hour and The Who for another hour, plus some short film segments, all with o issues at all.

So this problem seems to be just with TCM and everything else seems normal. 

Can anyone tell me what is happening?  Thank you.

I am also having issues with this - through the app.  Maybe there is a bug in the app?  

When I *do manage to be able to watch on my tablet (which is 10 feet from the wifi and the internets work so it's not the connection!), half the time the movies are fuzzy and come out garbly.

Hello?  Anyone from TCM out there?

My laptop is an HP that is new enough that it came with Windows 8 - perhaps 18 months old.  I have been using both Internet Explorer version 11.0.9 .... (it is set to install the newest versions automatically) and Google Chrome (it must be the latest version as I only installed it since this problem came up to see if it would help).  I have the same issue with both browsers, and as I said in my first message I also have this problem when streaming from my desktop computer which is in a different building here on out same property.

Since I wrote the first posting below a week ago the problem continues as originally described, but perhaps with a bit less severity.  I did watch a film using my laptop yesterday (Friday, September 26) in the mid afternoon with only a few instances of buffering marring the story line.

Thank you for any help you can offer. 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings