Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

To Have and Have Not - Bacall coached?

richard-tx

During the scene when Bacall sings "How Little We Know" Hoagy and the the woman to the right of Hoagy as well as others say things to Lauren Bacall.  It is almost as if they are coaching her.  Can anyone make out what Hoagy and the others are saying to Bacall?

I have always wondered about that.   I assumed they were just doing some odd background singing.   One does hear voices that are more like people just saying words than singing them.  Hey, maybe this is where rap was invented!

I think they are saying words to encourager her, since that is the first song she sings during her new job. Maybe they are saying the words of the song in French. The lady in front of the bass player is saying words occasionally, and the two guitarists are talking to each other and the lead is giving cues to the band with his body movement. Just informal banter in a favorite night club filled with friendly people.

If you play the talk segment  over and over again, you might begin to notice that you can actually hear the lady in front of the bass whispering her last line of dialogue, although I can't quite tell what she is saying.

lauren bacall: to have and have not "how little we know"

Edited by FredCDobbs

There is a way to play that last line the lady whispers, by clicking on replay of just that line. After clicking on it and replaying it about 20 times, I hear something like the phonetic sounds which sound something like this, and this matches her lip movements:

try mix it

or

try miss it

or half a dozen other sounds that might be English or French words.

This is just the phonetic sounds that I hear. That doesn’t mean these are the actual “words” that I hear.

For example, it could be “trii mizz itt”

If we get a room filled with MIT acoustics engineering students together, we could probably figure out exactly within a couple of hours.

Hi, can anyone else hear and see that lady (in front of the bass player) say "trii mizz itt”?

Does everyone know how to repeat-play a segment of video over and over?  Place your cursor on the moving red line at the bottom of the video, at the point you want to re-start at. Do that after that part has already played once.

Then click on it and it will re-play, starting at the point where you placed your cursor. You can click that point again and again, and it will keep repeating a start at that point.

Look for the lady's lips to form the middle word, which seems to start with an "m".

Hi, can anyone else hear and see that lady (in front of the bass player) say "trii mizz itt”?

Does everyone know how to repeat-play a segment of video over and over?  Place your cursor on the moving red line at the bottom of the video, at the point you want to re-start at. Do that after that part has already played once.

Then click on it and it will re-play, starting at the point where you placed your cursor. You can click that point again and again, and it will keep repeating a start at that point.

Look for the lady's lips to form the middle word, which seems to start with an "m".

Yes,  I can hear that lady.   That is why Richard-Tx created this thread asking if she is coaching Bacall.

It isn't coaching but just a rather odd (different) type of background singing.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings