Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia -- Week of August 1, 2005

Good afternoon, everybody! Already the mercury is approaching 90 degrees in the shade here in Cincinnati, and the dog days of summer are definitely upon us. Keep cool, everybody . . .

Mongo has informed me that he will be going back to Brooklyn this Thursday through Sunday, and I'll be filling in weekend trivia as best I can during that period. Since I work at night and sleep during the day, I probably won't be posting as often as Mongo does, but we'll see what happens.

And now, on to this week's movie trivia . . .

Wow, no takers? For yesterday's answer, as Damon Runyon once said, a story goes with it . . .

Prior to filming MILDRED PIERCE, director Michael Curtiz expressed his dismay about working with Joan Crawford and her "goddamned shoulder pads." Getting wind of this, Crawford gave Curtiz a pair of Adrian shoulder pads as a parting gift when the production wrapped.

Jane Russell turned down the part for Ruth Etting in hopes of landing the lead role of Lillian Roth in "I'll Cry Tomorrow." That role, as you know went to Susan Hayword, leaving Russell with neither of the parts.

I think James Cagney also suggested Doris Day because of their previous work experience on the "West Point Story"

Tabitha

Hmm . . . close, but no cigar.

Yesterday's answer: MGM first announced LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME in the trades with Ava Gardner as Ruth Etting. Reportedly, Gardner left the production when she found out her singing would be dubbed. After that, the part was offered to Jane Russell, who also turned it down, and it finally ended up in Doris Day's more-than-capable hands (and voice).

I wonder whose voice they were going to use for Ava. Not the real Etting, presumably. Doris, for all her greatness, did not look like nor, more importantly, did not sound like Ruth Etting. Not that it matters, I guess. I've always enjoyed the Etting shorts that come up from time to time.