Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Look what they dun to my thread, ma.

slaytonf

Locked!  G-gulp!  How mortifying!  For those reprehensible crimes of personal comments and politics.  Although it seems to me the level of invective on both accounts was much less in my thread about Network than in many another on this Site.  It wasn't so much insults being hurled as talking about insults being hurled.  And it wasn't politics being discussed, but talking about politics being discussed.  But perhaps the moderator was acting prophylacticly.  Because, God forbid, politics should enter into discussions here, politics never being a theme in movies.

But if I might enter a point, cautiously, so as to keep below the moderator's radar.  That being what HoldenIsHere acutely observed, that the Fox I referred to was not the news channel, but the maverick, interloper network.  It was the first successful alternative to the Old Three Maids.  If I remember my history correctly, there had been attempts before to start up an extra network, that all failed.  The way Fox succeeded was through the outrageousness of its programming, bringing the deviant and prurient from the peripheries of our culture into the mainstream, through shows like The Simpsons, and Married. . . .With Children.  This violation of tabus as a means of getting viewers was exactly what Mr. Chayefsky explored with Network's UBS (You B. S.).  Liberalization (no, I do not mean political, but cultural or sociological liberalization) is something our country could at that time have benefitted from.  And we did get some, but unfortunately, it's easier to prosper by appealing to the coarse, the base and the ****, than the better in us--it takes talent and ability to do that.  Instead we've entered into a period, rather, of license.  

Those asterisks are the word d e v i a n t.  Sheesh!

I thought acting 'prophylactically' meant using a wubber before hauling the ashes so as not make dem babies! 

Ya hurd it here first, fans and friends and odds and ends! 

ALSO:  The title of this thread makes me think of the 1965 song by THE SEEKERS:  "What Have They Done To The Rain?"

Locked!  G-gulp!  How mortifying!  For those reprehensible crimes of personal comments and politics.  Although it seems to me the level of invective on both accounts was much less in my thread about Network than in many another on this Site.  It wasn't so much insults being hurled as talking about insults being hurled.  And it wasn't politics being discussed, but talking about politics being discussed.  But perhaps the moderator was acting prophylacticly.  Because, God forbid, politics should enter into discussions here, politics never being a theme in movies.

But if I might enter a point, cautiously, so as to keep below the moderator's radar.  That being what HoldenIsHere acutely observed, that the Fox I referred to was not the news channel, but the maverick, interloper network.  It was the first successful alternative to the Old Three Maids.  If I remember my history correctly, there had been attempts before to start up an extra network, that all failed.  The way Fox succeeded was through the outrageousness of its programming, bringing the deviant and prurient from the peripheries of our culture into the mainstream, through shows like The Simpsons, and Married. . . .With Children.  This violation of tabus as a means of getting viewers was exactly what Mr. Chayefsky explored with Network's UBS (You B. S.).  Liberalization (no, I do not mean political, but cultural or sociological liberalization) is something our country could at that time have benefitted from.  And we did get some, but unfortunately, it's easier to prosper by appealing to the coarse, the base and the ****, than the better in us--it takes talent and ability to do that.  Instead we've entered into a period, rather, of license.  

Those asterisks are the word d e v i a n t.  Sheesh!

Getting a thread locked, that you started, is certainly no reason for losing sleep. Threads go in all different directions, which are totally unanticipated by, and out of the control of, the creator.

Guest TCMModerator1

That thread was not locked because of the initial topic.  It was locked because people couldn't follow the code of conduct, despite a warning, in follow up posts.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings