Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

♦ The Movies of George Peppard ♦

Mr. Gorman

Any fans of George Peppard here?  I've not seen all of his movies, but I've enjoyed many of those I have seen.  I did something last week I've never done:  Purchased one of those 'made-to-order' discs from Warner Archive.  It was a George Peppard movie.  

I've made a list of his movies both theatrical and 'made-for-television'.  I think a couple of his later theatrical films were not, however, released to theaters in the U.S.  They were released on homevideo over here. 

• THEATRICAL FILMS •

Tigress, The (1992-German)

Silence Like Glass (1989-W. German/US)

Target Eagle (1982-Spanish/Mexican)

Treasure of the Yankee Zephyr (1981-Aus/NZ)

Your Ticket Is No Longer Valid (1981-Canadian)

Battle Beyond the Stars (1980)

From Hell to Victory (1979- Italo/Spanish/French co-production)

Five Days From Home (1978)

Damnation Alley (1977)

Newman's Law (1974)

Groundstar Conspiracy, The (1972)

One More Train to Rob (1971)

Cannon for Cordoba (1970)

Executioner, The (1970)

Pendulum (1969)

House of Cards (1968)

What's So Bad About Feeling Good? (1968)

P.J. (1968)

Rough Night In Jericho (1967)

Tobruk (1967)

Blue Max, The (1966)

Third Day, The (1965)

Operation Crossbow (1965)

Carpetbaggers, The (1964)

Victors, The (1963)

How The West Was Won (1962)

Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)

Subterraneans, The (1960)

Home From The Hill (1960)

Pork Chop Hill (1959)

Strange One, The (1957)

• MADE-FOR-TELEVISION MOVIES •

Night of the Fox (1990-Tvm)

Man Against the Mob:  The Chinatown Murders (1989-Tvm)

Man Against the Mob (1988-Tvm)

Torn Between Two Lovers (1979-Tvm)

Crisis in Mid-air (1979-Tvm)

One Of Our Own (1975-Tvm)  Pilot movie for the short-lived "Doctors' Hospital" Tv series

Guilty or Innocent:  The Sam Sheppard Murder Case (1975-Tvm)

Bravos, The (1972-Tvm)

---------------------------------------

♠ Notes ♠

• If TCM can show the 'private-eye' movies HARPER (1966) with Paul Newman and MARLOWE (1969) with James Garner, perhaps they can hit up Universal for P.J. (1968) with George Peppard some time?  I've only seen the edited/altered Tv print of "P.J." and would like to see the original, theatrical version. 

• I've never seen a homevideo release or even a 'taped-from-tv' copy around for CRISIS IN MID-AIR.  Has quite a good cast, too.  The IMDb says it was aired on CBS, but no matter what network originally aired it I wonder what vault it's buried in now?  

• I bought THE THIRD DAY (1965) on a Warner Archive MOD disc last week.  I've never run across an earlier VHS or DVD release of this movie anywhere so I finally weakened and bought it 'made-on-demand'.  In the best of all possible worlds "The Third Day" would have been released by Warner in the early '80s in one of those BIG clamshell cases they used with insert artwork and the videocassette would have a W/S version of the movie.  I can dream . . .   

That would be quite all right if George got a 'Summer Under The Stars' tribute next year.  I won't count on it, but it would be nice!   I counted 31 theatrical films and 8 made-for-Tv movies for a total of 39 features.  Perhaps TCM could get hold of a few of his lesser-known/lesser-seen movies if ever Turner Classic does a George Peppard 'SUTS' recognition day starting with P.J. (1968).  

I'd love a Peppard SUTS tribute just for a chance to see "The Blue Max" again. It features a brilliant film score by the late Jerry Goldsmith. André Previn, no slouch himself when it comes to composing movie scores, spotlighted "The Attack" on a PBS program in 1977.

Oh, and Peppard was awfully good in this movie, "Home from the Hill," "How the West Was Won" and "The Victors."

Early this morning I fished out my 1985 RCA/Columbia VHS release of PENDULUM (1969).  I've not seen the movie in several years and it was as good a time as any to stuff old mylar into the VCR.  I honestly don't know if "Pendulum" has ever had a legal DVD release.  I've seen that 'modcinema' site that asks $16.99 for a 'new' DVD of it, but it looks more 'home-made' than 'factory made'. 

Next up:  THE EXECUTIONER (1970).  I've seen it 5 times already, but it's due for another view!

I've been able to round up a goodly number of GP's movies for my video collection, but there's a few of his movies that it appears have never been released on any homevideo medium.   

But his "roll" ended rather quickly.

Until he turned to television. He reinvented himself with Banacek in the 70s, and again with The A-Team a decade after that. His career path had a similar trajectory as Rock Hudson's, though of course he wasn't as famous or on top as long.

Yes-- he's one who deserves a SUTS tribute in August. I love THE CARPETBAGGERS and THE BLUE MAX. He was on a roll in the 60s. Good actor!

George Peppard is OK, but a whole day of him?  NO WAY!  I have seen both The Carpetbaggers and The Blue Max and while they are entertaining, they are way too long.   He may have been good, but his movies weren't.

BTW, the story behind the story on The Strange One is more interesting than the movie.

TCM showed 'The Strange One' with Peppard and Ben Gazzara a few years ago. Fascinating movie for its time (1957). Really would like to see it on the schedule for a repeat showing.

Amazingly accurate movie as well since Calder Willingham had gone to a military college for a year.  I went to the same college, but at a later date.  Not sure the movie is really that good, which is why it doesn't get more air time.

This, I believe, was Gazzara's film debut. It could have also been Peppard's.

It was for both. In Gazzara's case, the lead character that he plays - Jocko De Paris - was originated by him on Broadway, so it was perfect that he would play the part in the movie. He's brilliant in the role.

The first time I saw it, I was about 14 - and I didn't know the name of the movie as I'd stumbled across it on the late show a few minutes in. But I was immediately riveted by the offbeat-ness of the people I was seeing. When, after a commercial or two, I realized the movie was called 'The Strange One', I was then perplexed as to whom the title was referring - was it De Paris? Simmons? Cockroach? Like I posted earlier - it's a fascinating little movie. I've only seen it twice in my life, and I'm ready for another viewing.

In what other movie can rare car enthusiasts see a Messerschmit KR175 automobile being driven?

I'm sorry...but I never was a big fan of George Peppard.  Even the fact that he hails from DEARBORN MICHIGAN, a city I can drive to in five minutes from my house!  Something about his looks, or style that never grabbed me.  Even ME being POLISH, and him playing BANACEK didn't help.

Sepiatone

I think George was buried in Dearborn, Sepiatone.  I had an aunt and uncle who lived in Allen Park;  I used to visit them frequently in the late 80s/early 90s.  The lived on O'Connor Street in Allen Park.  There was a drug store at the corner. 

TheCid:  There's a lot more George Peppard movies TCM could show than the longest ones (THE CARPETBAGGERS, THE BLUE MAX, HOW THE WEST WAS WON).  ► I don't know if TCM has shown "The Victors", but it's long, too.  However, there's lots of shorter films that could be aired.  I'd like to see "The Subterraneans". 

(P.S.  Anyone else ever seen PENDULUM?  I'm curious!)  Cheers.

I'm sorry...but I never was a big fan of George Peppard.  Even the fact that he hails from DEARBORN MICHIGAN, a city I can drive to in five minutes from my house!  Something about his looks, or style that never grabbed me.  Even ME being POLISH, and him playing BANACEK didn't help.

Sepiatone

Well, he wasn't a Pole. He just played one on TV.........I've always questioned how he got the part in BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S. It seemed to call for a bigger star. Big stars virtually always played opposite Audrey.

Always thought the young Peppard was well cast and did a pretty good job with his James Dean-esque role as Robert Mitchum's illegitimate son in 1960's HOME FROM THE HILL.

(...in fact, even the "other young George", Hamilton, was pretty good in it, I thought)

Always thought the young Peppard was well cast and did a pretty good job with his James Dean-esque role as Robert Mitchum's illegitimate son in 1960's HOME FROM THE HILL.

Peppard was charming in Home from the Hill. I always wondered what happened to that charm afterward.

There sure weren't many signs of it just the next year in Breakfast at Tiffany's. If his job in that film was to not distract from Hepburn's star turn, he sure did a good job of it.

• Like 1

Tom, in Patricia Neal's Private Screenings interview, she talks about how excited she was to be cast opposite Peppard in Breakfast at Tiffany's because they had done some scenes together at the Actors Studio before his success in Hollywood. She was dismayed to find that he had acquired a swelled ego, and she did not enjoy working with him. Peppard is really good in his early films like The Strange One and Home from the Hill, but I agree with you that he is wooden in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

And Dargo, I'm with you that George Hamilton is actually good in Home from the Hill, too.

By all means catch this one. The flying scenes are spectacular, and so is Ursula Andress....but Peppard holds his own.

"The Blue Max" also is on demand through October 31st if your cable system carries the FXM Retro section. And don't forget Jerry Goldsmith's stirring film score!

(...in fact, even the "other young George", Hamilton, was pretty good in it, I thought)

I think "the other young George" has become better-known than Peppard, largely because of his great tan.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings