Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

George C. Scott Tribute Lineup Change

HoldenIsHere

Ew no!

That's a shame, I saw The Hospital the last time it was on and I actually liked it, although I don't remember a lot about it. I do recall Scott being good, but I also recall (foggily) a scene where he abuses a woman in some way...amiright? But maybe in the context it makes sense or something. I would've tried to catch it again, especially since we so enjoyed talking about Network- another Chayefsky joint. .

The Hindenberg suuuu-huhuhuhuhuhuhuh-hucks. Although I am a fan of There's a Lot to Be Said for Der Fuhrer; how it and Theme From Mahogany failed to be nominated on the first ballot for Best Song in a Motion Picture is beyond me.

PS- This is the Scott I want to see, the long-lost but highly regarded Man Getting Hit By Football:

Originally THE HOSPITAL was scheduled as part of the George C. Scott tribute tonight (September 25), but I see that it has been replaced with THE HINDENBURG.  

Talk about a change for the worse! But since its on late I'd miss it anyway..........

Ew no!

That's a shame, I saw The Hospital the last time it was on and I actually liked it, although I don't remember a lot about it. I do recall Scott being good, but I also recall (foggily) a scene where he abuses a woman in some way...amiright? But maybe in the context it makes sense or something. I would've tried to catch it again, especially since we so enjoyed talking about Network- another Chayefsky joint. .

The Hindenberg suuuu-huhuhuhuhuhuhuh-hucks. Although I am a fan of There's a Lot to Be Said for Der Fuhrer; how it and Theme From Mahogany failed to be nominated on the first ballot for Best Song in a Motion Picture is beyond me.

PS- This is the Scott I want to see, the long-lost but highly regarded Man Getting Hit By Football:

SPOILER ALERT:

Yes, there's a quasi-rape scene with Diana Rigg, but its a real quickie (to get the PG rating).........

Tonite at eight...Patton! once you know that...

you'll know what to do. (watch Patton) :D

I know that George C. Scott as the unforgettably flamboyant Patton may not be everyone's can of k-rations or cup of tea but there is this...

A world without any room for the Pattons is a world which will return to the sand.

11wfvkl.jpg

That's a shame, I saw The Hospital the last time it was on and I actually liked it, although I don't remember a lot about it.

I've never seen THE HOSPITAL, but I was looking forward to seeing it mostly for Diana Rigg's (Oscar winning?) performance. 

Since you mention that it's been shown before, maybe it will be shown again in the near future.

One of George C. Scott's wives ---Trish Van Devere--- was in a movie showing this morning on TCM.

I've never seen THE HOSPITAL, but I was looking forward to seeing it mostly for Diana Rigg's (Oscar winning?) performance. 

Since you mention that it's been shown before, maybe it will be shown again in the near future.

One of George C. Scott's wives ---Trish Van Devere--- was in a movie showing this morning on TCM.

Diana Rigg didnt win an Oscar. She wasnt even nominated (not that she's bad)............

Tonite at eight...Patton! once you know that...

you'll know what to do. (watch Patton) :D

I know that George C. Scott as the unforgettably flamboyant Patton may not be everyone's can of k-rations or cup of tea but there is this...

A world without any room for the Pattons is a world which will return to the sand.

11wfvkl.jpg

Personally, I think the film is kinda soft. Schaffner shoulda let Scott kick a few more butts. :D

Diana Rigg didnt win an Oscar. She wasnt even nominated (not that she's bad)............

However George C. Scott was nominated for Best Actor for The Hospital, the year after he infamously refused the award he won for Patton. It's interesting that both he and Marlon Brando refused Oscars in 1970 and 1972, yet both were nominated the following year.

Holden- you gotta get a copy of Inside Oscar by Mason Wiley and Damion Bona. It's gotta be on amazon used and cheap; and it's the best reference there is on the awards.

However George C. Scott was nominated for Best Actor for The Hospital, the year after he infamously refused the award he won for Patton. It's interesting that both he and Marlon Brando refused Oscars in 1970 and 1972, yet both were nominated the following year.

Holden- you gotta get a copy of Inside Oscar by Mason Wiley and Damion Bona. It's gotta be on amazon used and cheap; and it's the best reference there is on the awards.

Yes, he was nominated for The Hospital and deservedly so....

My mother had this old book on the Academy Awards (I'm not sure the last year it covers).

In that book there is a photo from THE HOSPITAL that features Diana Rigg so I guess I though that she had won an Oscar for that movie.

Did Brandon or Scott show up at the awards ceremony the year they were nominated after refusing the Oscar the year before?

My mother had this old book on the Academy Awards (I'm not sure the last year it covers).

In that book there is a photo from THE HOSPITAL that features Diana Rigg so I guess I though that she had won an Oscar for that movie.

Did Brandon or Scott show up at the awards ceremony the year they were nominated after refusing the Oscar the year before?

I dont think either was there. 

Did Brando or Scott show up at the awards ceremony the year they were nominated after refusing the Oscar the year before?

I feel reasonably comfortable stating that neither attended another Oscar show again; even when Brando received his final nomination for 1989's A Dry White Season...and considering the really tacky way in which he refused the award, I think there would've been a hostile reaction to his presence.

I feel reasonably comfortable stating that neither attended another Oscar show again; even when Brando received his final nomination for 1989's A Dry White Season...and considering the really tacky way in which he refused the award, I think there would've been a hostile reaction to his presence.

I'm sure Scott wasnt there for The Hospital as I watched that show. I was assuming Brando was also a no-show considering his past behavior........

Hope TCM doesn't mind a cross-promotion:

If you happen to be on a cable service that carries the MGMHD channel, MGMHD has been showing The Hospital occasionally over the last several weeks.  I see that currently it is scheduled again for Tue. 9-30 at 6am and Wed 10-8 at 8:50am (times are EST).  If you are new to MGMHD, they typically show uncut movies with only one short commercial break in the middle, so it's not a bad way to catch some of the MGM catalog titles.

Some years ago it was in rotation.  The fact that it hasn't been scheduled may be an indication that it won't be shown in the near future.

did you read it in her bio or something? i couldn't find any info on it online.

I'm not sure if George C. Scott's violence toward Ava Gardner extended  to other women, but here's an excerpt from an interview with Ava Gardner later in her life: 

Artie [shaw] was difficult, he was complex, but I was stuck on him,’ she explained. ‘I was crazy about him.

‘He was smart as a whip: he always knew what I was going to say next. To tell the truth, I was always a little afraid of him. Not physically. Not the way I was scared of GCS [the actor George C. Scott, with whom she had an affair in the Sixties]. When GCS was loaded, he was terrifying — he’d beat the s*** out of me and have no idea next morning what he’d done.

‘I’d be lying next to him, black-and-blue and bleeding, and he couldn’t remember a thing.

‘Artie was another kind of bully. He was a dominating sonofab*tch.

‘I don’t know which was worse: GCS’s physical violence or Artie’s mind games. He used to put me down so much I lost complete confidence in myself.’

Here's a link to the article from the Daily Mail that the excerpt is taken from

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2347084/Howard-Hughes-punched-Ava-Gardner-face-smashed-onyx-ashtray-head.html

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings