Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any ideas who will be January's SOTM?

TopBilled

Here's my prediction:

Last January it was Joan Crawford, and the January prior it was Loretta Young. So the pattern seems to be a superstar (household name) whose career goes back to the early sound era and stretches several decades.

So my guess is that it will be someone like Bette Davis.

What say you...?

Bette Davis is a good guess. Clark Gable, Irene Dunne, Marlene Dietrich and Gary Cooper are a few other possibilities (well-known, long careers, and haven't been honored too recently). My guess is that January's SOTM will be someone who appeared in some silent/pre-codes.

• Like 1

I would go along with Wyman-- she has a strong film resume and many of her pictures are in the Turner Library.

Wyman would be a good choice as it relates to a star TCM hasn't feature as STOM but I admit I'm not a fan of most of the films she did in the 50s.   (too much soap for my taste).      But I do like her in many of the Warner movies of the 40s when she wasn't the leading player. 

So there would be a good amount of variety if she was SOTM.  

Bette Davis is a good guess. Clark Gable, Irene Dunne, Marlene Dietrich and Gary Cooper are a few other possibilities (well-known, long careers, and haven't been honored too recently). My guess is that January's SOTM will be someone who appeared in some silent/pre-codes.

Yes, Barton, I think you nailed it. It will probably be one of them. Personally, I'd like to see Irene Dunne get some love. But I can see TCM saving her for May, to air I REMEMBER MAMA at Mother's Day, and to tie in with that book they keep trying to sell.

So I am still going to say Bette D.

Luise Rainer will be 104 on January 12. Not many movies, but they could show her early German films.

Interesting that you mention her. I was looking through my collection of films and I realized today that I have all her MGM films, except ESCAPADE. I don't think that one has ever aired on TCM, has it?  Must have rights issues... 

Here's my prediction:

Last January it was Joan Crawford, and the January prior it was Loretta Young. So the pattern seems to be a superstar (household name) whose career goes back to the early sound era and stretches several decades.

So my guess is that it will be someone like Bette Davis.

What say you...?

I love Bette Davis.  I would be 100% fine with that selection.  I could also see someone like William Powell or Myrna Loy. 

Well, I'm very pleased with the way TCM has been devoting SOTM time to some underrated people this year, such as Mary Astor (although I'm not a fan of hers) and Melvyn Douglas. So I would love if someone REALLY underrated were SOTM for January, like Michael Rennie or H.B. Warner. Rex Ingram (the actor, not the director) could use a little love, too, actually a lot of love.

Interesting that you mention her. I was looking through my collection of films and I realized today that I have all her MGM films, except ESCAPADE. I don't think that one has ever aired on TCM, has it?  Must have rights issues... 

Escapade is a film I would like to see.  I have seen all the other Powell \ Rainer films.   I also assume a rights issue since TCM isn't shy about showing MGM films.    ;)  

Escapade is a film I would like to see.  I have seen all the other Powell \ Rainer films.   I also assume a rights issue since TCM is shy about showing MGM films.    ;)  

On the IMDB board for ESCAPADE, it says that Luise Rainer has in her personal collection the only known existing copy of the film. MGM does not have it. Maybe that's why TCM had her as a guest at the Film Festival a few years ago-- maybe they are working on a deal to release it on home video and air it on the channel...? I'd love to see it. 

Luise Rainer is a good suggestion, Swithin. I thought she would have already been featured, but not so. She doesn't have a vast filmography, so I guess it's no surprise. If they can come up with some of her foreign films I'm all for it.

It's unlikely that either of them will get SOTM treatment, but both Anita Louise and Fernando Lamas would be 100 years old on Jan. 9th, by the way.

Someone mentioned Jane Wyman hasn't been featured before, but it turns out that she has, during Sep. 2000. Bette Davis, William Powell, and Loy are all two-time honorees. (Use the "find" function on your keyboard to check by pressing Ctrl + F on the SOTM/SUTS thread in the Stickies forum)

Well, I'm very pleased with the way TCM has been devoting SOTM time to some underrated people this year, such as Mary Astor (although I'm not a fan of hers) and Melvyn Douglas. So I would love if someone REALLY underrated were SOTM for January, like Michael Rennie or H.B. Warner. Rex Ingram (the actor, not the director) could use a little love, too, actually a lot of love.

I agree, please I personally do not require a super star to draw me to TCM.  There were some Dennis O'Keefe movies on yesterday and he would make an interesting SOTM as would William Bendix (he was in so many movies across several decades) and crossed genres quite well.  I would also be delighted to see James Gleason as SOTM...if they can make Charles Coburn a SOTM, why not James Gleason?

Luise Rainer is a good suggestion, Swithin. I thought she would have already been featured, but not so. She doesn't have a vast filmography, so I guess it's no surprise. If they can come up with some of her foreign films I'm all for it.

It's unlikely that either of them will get SOTM treatment, but both Anita Louise and Fernando Lamas would be 100 years old on Jan. 9th, by the way.

Someone mentioned Jane Wyman hasn't been featured before, but it turns out that she has, during Sep. 2000. Bette Davis, William Powell, and Loy are all two-time honorees. (Use the "find" function on your keyboard to check by pressing Ctrl + F on the SOTM/SUTS thread in the Stickies forum)

I love Anita Louise, it would be nice if they gave her a tribute. And so many films to choose from.

Re: Wyman-- I think a 14 year gap would make her becoming SOTM again (if chosen) somewhat okay. 

Oh please no.   Elvis wasn't a good actor and most of his movies are weak, at best. 

And yes,  I would rather see Jerry Lewis as SOTM before Elvis.   

I think Elvis' best pictures were produced by Hal Wallis, which means the ones he made at Paramount. If TCM had him as SOTM, we might get one or two Paramount titles and the rest would be the vastly inferior junk he made at MGM. At least if he is featured for Summer Under the Stars, you can skip one day of TCM viewing-- but if he is Star of the Month, it means you have to skip four or five days.

• Like 1

Oh please no.   Elvis wasn't a good actor and most of his movies are weak, at best. 

And yes,  I would rather see Jerry Lewis as SOTM before Elvis.   

Elvis also was the King of Rock 'n' Roll, so there are plenty of his concert films to add to the mix.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings