Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anne Baxter for Summer Under the Stars 2016

TopBilled

Anyone with me on this?

1anneb.png

I assume they're working with next year's budget, since the January schedule should be almost finalized.

Can we make a pitch now that Anne Baxter might become one of the 20th Century Fox stars to get a day in August? And of course, she made films at other studios. She is most deserving. Primetime could feature her Oscar-winning role in THE RAZOR'S EDGE or her Oscar-nominated role as the title character in ALL ABOUT EVE.

I'd also love to see the film she made with her soon-to-be husband John Hodiak (featured this year during Summer Under the Stars)-- SUNDAY DINNER FOR A SOLDIER.

1annebaxter.png

Please, TCM-- how about it?

Anyone with me on this?

1anneb.png

I assume they're working with next year's budget, since the January schedule should be almost finalized.

Can we make a pitch now that Anne Baxter might become one of the 20th Century Fox stars to get a day in August? And of course, she made films at other studios. She is most deserving. Primetime could feature her Oscar-winning role in THE RAZOR'S EDGE or her Oscar-nominated role as the title character in ALL ABOUT EVE.

I'd also love to see the film she made with her soon-to-be husband John Hodiak (featured this year during Summer Under the Stars)-- SUNDAY DINNER FOR A SOLDIER.

Please, TCM-- how about it?

Yes,  it would be great for Anne to have a day in SUTS but,  as I'm sure you know,  she was in enough high quality movies to be Star of the Month.  But like Hayward and Power the issue would be what films TCM would have to show.    So SUTS is more realistic for a Fox star.

• Like 1

Yes,  it would be great for Anne to have a day in SUTS but,  as I'm sure you know,  she was in enough high quality movies to be Star of the Month.  But like Hayward and Power the issue would be what films TCM would have to show.    So SUTS is more realistic for a Fox star.

Yes, it does seem more realistic. As I said, she is very deserving of such an honor.

In one day, just 76 people viewed this thread. (Several of those views were probably mine!) I wasn't expecting this thread to hit 10,000 views. But I am going to hope that out of the 70 or so other people who viewed this thread that at least one of them works for the TCM programming department.

I can be optimistic, right? :)

I don't think she had quite the film career of Hayward or Power.

I don't think she had quite the film career of Hayward or Power.

Kim Novak didn't have quite the film career of Bette Davis-- and they have both been honored as Star of the Month on TCM.  I am not suggesting Baxter as SOTM, but rather to be featured as a Summer Under the Stars honoree...which I think is do-able and given the fact that TCM features one or two Fox contract players in August, why not Anne Baxter next summer?

Kim Novak didn't have quite the film career of Bette Davis-- and they have both been honored as Star of the Month on TCM.  I am not suggesting Baxter as SOTM, but rather to be featured as a Summer Under the Stars honoree...which I think is do-able and given the fact that TCM features one or two Fox contract players in August, why not Anne Baxter next summer?

Of course I never compared Baxter to Power or Hayward as it relates to their movie legacy.   Instead I just pointed out that all 3 made many movies for 20th Century \ Fox.      So your Novak \ Davis line is a good one.

Well, Anne Baxter is a splendid choice for SUTS, even for SOTM (although I would rather that TCM would first honor other Fox stars, beginning with my avatar. As for Anne's films made on loan while under contract to 20th, or after said contract ended in 1953, it seems that TCM shows quite a few occasionally.

TWENTY MULE TEAM (1940)

THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS (1942)

THE NORTH STAR (1943)

ANGEL ON MY SHOULDER (1946)

HOMECOMING (1947)

I CONFESS (1953)

THE BLUE GARDENIA (1953)

BEDEVILLED (1955)

CHASE A CROOKED.SHADOW (1958)

CIMARRON (1961)

WALK ON THE WILD.SIDE (1962)

Some of her Fox movies have also been shown, including her two Oscar nods, THE RAZOR'S EDGE (1946), and ALL ABOUT EVE (1950). I'm not sure of all the titles, but I think the following have aired, along with the two aforementioned:

SWAMP WATER (1941)

THE SULLIVANS (1944)

So, that's at least 15 movies shown on TCM, more.than enough for SUTS, and just about.enough for SOTM. Of course, some premieres of films from Fox and elsewhere, would be in order, and one of the salient featured of these tributes. Totally doable in either case.

• Like 1

Well, Anne Baxter is a splendid choice for SUTS, even for SOTM (although I would rather that TCM would first honor other Fox stars, beginning with my avatar. As for Anne's films made on loan while under contract to 20th, or after said contract ended in 1953, it seems that TCM shows quite a few occasionally.

TWENTY MULE TEAM (1940)

THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS (1942)

THE NORTH STAR (1943)

ANGEL ON MY SHOULDER (1946)

HOMECOMING (1947)

I CONFESS (1953)

THE BLUE GARDENIA (1953)

BEDEVILLED (1955)

CHASE A CROOKED.SHADOW (1958)

CIMARRON (1961)

WALK ON THE WILD.SIDE (1962)

Some of her Fox movies have also been shown, including her two Oscar nods, THE RAZOR'S EDGE (1946), and ALL ABOUT EVE (1950). I'm not sure of all the titles, but I think the following have aired, along with the two aforementioned:

SWAMP WATER (1941)

THE SULLIVANS (1944)

So, that's at least 15 movies shown on TCM, more.than enough for SUTS, and just about.enough for SOTM. Of course, some premieres of films from Fox and elsewhere, would be in order, and one of the salient featured of these tributes. Totally doable in either case.

Thanks Arturo. I think A ROYAL SCANDAL has also aired on TCM once or twice but it's been a few years. And FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO (made for Paramount but now in the public domain) has been broadcast, too. Not sure about SUNDAY DINNER FOR A SOLDIER or A TICKET TO TOMAHAWK. If they made her a Star of the Month in March, they could show THE LUCK OF THE IRISH, which pairs her with Ty Power.

i loved this flick.

it was another one of the several movies that got me locked into tcm.

CHASE A CROOKED SHADOW (1958)

Thanks Arturo. I think A ROYAL SCANDAL has also aired on TCM once or twice but it's been a few years. And FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO (made for Paramount but now in the public domain) has been broadcast, too. Not sure about SUNDAY DINNER FOR A SOLDIER or A TICKET TO TOMAHAWK. If they made her a Star of the Month in March, they could show THE LUCK OF THE IRISH, which pairs her with Ty Power.

What this list tells me is how versatile Baxter was.  When I think of her I don't have a fixed screen persona in mind (unlike say Joan Fontaine).    Baxter could play the shy,  unsure of herself type,  like in The Razor Edge,  but she also could be hard has nails like in All About Eve (where at the start she is playing shy, but it is all an act).      A producer knew he could count on her to 'fit' the part as written but at the same time not get a bland performance.  

What this list tells me is how versatile Baxter was.  When I think of her I don't have a fixed screen persona in mind (unlike say Joan Fontaine).    Baxter could play the shy,  unsure of herself type,  like in The Razor Edge,  but she also could be hard has nails like in All About Eve (where at the start she is playing shy, but it is all an act).      A producer knew he could count on her to 'fit' the part as written but at the same time not get a bland performance.  

And not get a predictable performance. Sometimes Bette Davis (who is never bland) gives predictable scene-chewing performances. Baxter never did that. All her choices were based on the dynamics of the character, not on Baxer's own persona as a movie star.

I love her in SUNDAY DINNER FOR A SOLDIER-- she is so soft and sweet, yet smart, in that film. She gives yet another type of performance in THE EVE OF ST. MARK, where she's a hometown girl haunted by the memory of her sweetheart who has gone off to war and will likely lose his life.

Did you pair Davis and Novak because they both played the same role in 2 versions of OF HUMAN BONDAGE?

Did you pair Davis and Novak because they both played the same role in 2 versions of OF HUMAN BONDAGE?

No...the thought of that never crossed my mind. I mentioned them because they seem to have such different acting styles and TCM's programmers seem to like showing their films.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to bring this thread forward...to see what others thought about Anne Baxter's film work...

My favorite performance of hers is in THE RAZOR’S EDGE.

I wonder how many people realize that the acting she did while in the Paris hash house was her best, because she was playing a girl who was high on hash, and alcohol, and depressed too.

The brief conversation between her friends in their car, after talking to her there, brought up the subject of “or worse”, meaning she was both drunk AND maybe high on some drug too. I didn’t catch this significance of the brief dialogue reference until after several viewings of this film.

Wiki's review of the original book says it was opium, but I say it was hash. :)

Fred

My favorite performance of hers is in THE RAZOR’S EDGE.

I wonder how many people realize that the acting she did while in the Paris hash house was her best, because she was playing a girl who was high on hash, and alcohol, and depressed too.

The brief conversation between her friends in their car, after talking to her there, brought up the subject of “or worse”, meaning she was both drunk AND maybe high on some drug too. I didn’t catch this significance of the brief dialogue reference until after several viewings of this film.

Wiki's review of the original book says it was opium, but I say it was hash. :)

Fred

Good post, Fred. I think it's my favorite performance of hers, too. I also like what she does with a difficult role in THE BLUE GARDENIA. She seemed to specialize in unsympathetic characters-- characters that did not manage to turn the audience off completely, but instead drew them more into the story. 

My problem with Anne Baxter (and Susan Hayward) is that both often seem phony with, it seems to me, an unnatural huskiness in their speaking voices. It seems forced and put on. She is more actressy than genuine in most of her parts - although in The Razor's Edge she seems less exaggerated. Heresy around here (especially re: Hayward) but there- I said it.

• 1 month later...

Once George Sanders gets his due, Baxter would be a fine backup choice. I'd sign that petition.

I thought you were pushing for Sanders to be a SOTM. I am suggesting Anne Baxter for a SUTS tribute. I think there's enough of her films in the Turner Library to accommodate this request. Also, they tend to feature one or two Fox stars in August-- so maybe they would be able to show THE RAZOR'S EDGE or ALL ABOUT EVE. I think a tribute for her is very do-able and very deserved. She shouldn't have to be stacked against George Sanders to merit the TCM red carpet treatment.

I thought you were pushing for Sanders to be a SOTM. I am suggesting Anne Baxter for a SUTS tribute. I think there's enough of her films in the Turner Library to accommodate this request. Also, they tend to feature one or two Fox stars in August-- so maybe they would be able to show THE RAZOR'S EDGE or ALL ABOUT EVE. I think a tribute for her is very do-able and very deserved. She shouldn't have to be stacked against George Sanders to merit the TCM red carpet treatment.

Sorry, I guess I should've been more clear.  Ideally I'd like to see Sanders get SOTM, but you have to start somewhere, and up to now he hasn't even had a single SUTS day.  It's the most inexplicable omission I can think of for that particular honor, inexplicable for reasons many of us (and quite possibly you as well) have spelled out on more than one occasion.

And I agree with the point about Fox, which would limit Baxter's repertory to one more suited to SUTS than to SOTM. I think she'd be a most worthy SUTS choice.  But Sanders deserves both.

Sorry, I guess I should've been more clear.  Ideally I'd like to see Sanders get SOTM, but you have to start somewhere, and up to now he hasn't even had a single SUTS day.  It's the most inexplicable omission I can think of for that particular honor, inexplicable for reasons many of us (and quite possibly you as well) have spelled out on more than one occasion.

And I agree with the point about Fox, which would limit Baxter's repertory to one more suited to SUTS than to SOTM. I think she'd be a most worthy SUTS choice.  But Sanders deserves both.

Well, if you and I were running TCM's programming department, we would have Anne Baxter featured in August for a 24-hour salute, then George Sanders would be SOTM in September. And that way ALL ABOUT EVE could air on TCM two consecutive months! Right? :)

Well, if you and I were running TCM's programming department, we would have Anne Baxter featured in August for a 24-hour salute, then George Sanders would be SOTM in September. And that way ALL ABOUT EVE could air on TCM two consecutive months! Right? :)

Sounds good to me.  All About Eve may be just about the best Hollywood drama I can think of, certainly in the top half dozen, and I'd love to see some more Baxter movies beyond the handful that TCM airs fairly often. :)

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings