Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Call Her Savage premieres late tonight on TCM

midnight08

For those of you who can't stay up to watch this pre code gem get your DVR's ready.

Clara Bow stars in one of the best pre codes ever made. It was her triumphant return to the

screen after her nervous breakdown and after leaving Paramount.

I've loved this movie from the first time I saw it at a pre code revival in New York 25 years ago.

Clara really showed her acting ability in this one. I know it's been shown several times on

the Fox Movie channel but most of us don't receive that channel.

It's premiering late tonight on TCM. I'm happy TCM got it although it deserves a primetime showing.

I hope it's the restored version which was shown at the TCM festival a few years ago.

It's a rarity just to be able to see Clara on TCM.

• Like 2

For those of you who can't stay up to watch this pre code gem get your DVR's ready.

Clara Bow stars in one of the best pre codes ever made.

It's premiering late tonight on TCM. I'm happy TCM got it although it deserves a primetime showing.

I hope it's the restored version which was shown at the TCM festival a few years ago.

It's a rarity just to be able to see Clara on TCM.

I didn't know it was a TCM premiere, but I'm definitely looking forward to CALL HER SAVAGE.

I've never seen Clara Bow in a "talkie" before so I'm very interested to hear her voice.

From what I've read she made a successful transition from silent films to talkies in spite of her Brooklyn accent. 

However, she didn't like sound movies: she found the microphone distracting during production and she thought that having the audience hear her voice took away some of her mystique.

clara-bow-gilbert-roland-call-her-savage

the whole lineup tonight has something compelling with stars that deliver. all in all it's probably the best group of pre-code fliks to be shown this month.

after Scarface (1932) and Little Caesar (1930) there's seldom broadcast films, but all are worth seeing or DVRing. The Clara Bow feature Call Her Savage heads the group, but there's also the Ann Dvorak raw and brilliant performance in Three on a Match (1932). Penthouse (1932), The Hatchet Man (1932) and State's Attorney (1932) are shown a lot less but make the entire night one to get bleary-eyed about.

i'm going to love this schedule. (even Alec Baldwin's comments)

• Like 1

the whole lineup tonight has something compelling with stars that deliver. all in all it's probably the best group of pre-code fliks to be shown this month.

after Scarface (1932) and Little Caesar (1930) there's seldom broadcast films, but all are worth seeing or DVRing. The Clara Bow feature Call Her Savage heads the group, but there's also the Ann Dvorak raw and brilliant performance in Three on a Match (1932). Penthouse (1932), The Hatchet Man (1932) and State's Attorney (1932) are shown a lot less but make the entire night one to get bleary-eyed about.

i'm going to love this schedule. (even Alec Baldwin's comments)

Yeah, the overnights tonight beginning with Penthouse are about as good as it gets, especially Three on a Match (with the greatest cast of stars any 64 minute movie could ever dream of*) and Call Her Savage, which is quite the combination of raw and weird with all that Indian mumbo-jumbo.   I've seen them all a million times but I keep coming back for more.

*Ann Dvorak, Joan Blondell, Bette Davis, Humphrey Bogart, Warren William, Lyle Talbot, Edward ("Ace") Arnold, Allen Jenkins, Grant Mitchell, Jack ("Henchman") LaRue, and last but not least, Frankie Darro.  Beat that for a programmer!

I didn't know it was a TCM premiere, but I'm definitely looking forward to CALL HER SAVAGE.

I've never seen Clara Bow in a "talkie" before so I'm very interested to hear her voice.

From what I've read she made a successful transition from silent films to talkies in spite of her Brooklyn accent. 

However, she didn't like sound movies: she found the microphone distracting during production and she thought that having the audience hear her voice took away some of her mystique.

clara-bow-gilbert-roland-call-her-savage

In the early sound era, the biggest problem for Clara was her constant movement, when the setup of mics called for static blocking. I remember reading many years back that in Britain, an argument was advanced against talkies by using Bow as an example, with the image of her imagined nasal Brooklyn accent, as being too much to take.

Bow is one of my all time favorites; too bad those back to back scandals, followed by her breakdown, had her go from just about the biggest star in Hollywood to a has been in quick time. CALL HER SAVAGE should have resurrected her career, but her second Fox film, HOOPLA (1933), a true rarity, did not measure up. Occasional offers over the next several years did not pan out, as she settled to a ranch in Nevada with her new cowboy husband (Rex Bell?), and gained a lot of weight. But a one of a kind while she lasted.

and a very young anne shirley.

*Ann Dvorak, Joan Blondell, Bette Davis, Humphrey Bogart, Warren William, Lyle Talbot, Edward ("Ace") Arnold, Allen Jenkins, Grant Mitchell, Jack ("Henchman") LaRue, and last but not least, Frankie Darro.  Beat that for a programmer!

one can surely notice this development in 'call her savage'.

albeit, i personally did not mind at all.

Occasional offers over the next several years did not pan out, as she settled to a ranch in Nevada with her new cowboy husband (Rex Bell?), and gained a lot of weight. But a one of a kind while she lasted.

Three on a Match (with the greatest cast of stars any 64 minute movie could ever dream of*) ...

Supposedly Three on a Match also features an appearance by 12 year old Jack Webb as "boy in schoolyard". Can you imagine a 12 year old Jack Webb?!?

Supposedly Three on a Match also features an appearance by 12 year old Jack Webb as "boy in schoolyard". Can you imagine a 12 year old Jack Webb?!?

Sure, if he'd tried to make a citizen's arrest of Blondell for talking back to the recess monitor.

and a very young anne shirley.

Yes,  we shouldn't forget Anne Shirley.    But yea, what a cast.    I have to agree that there isn't a 'programmer' with a better cast than this movie.  Of course Davis and Bogart weren't stars at the time but from a historical perspective as well as pure entertainment this movie can't be beat.

I saw most of this movie before I turned in (this morning).  Bow's character, Nasa, was a real space cadet!  She was violent toward many of the people she encountered in the film, repeatedly beating a guy with a whip, cracking a guitar over another guy's skull, and just for fun, grabbing a fistful of Thelma Todd's locks.  How anyone would want to hang around such a bi-polar chick like this is beyond me.  I understand the premise of the script, but the acting seemed to be way over the top.  Still, her physical bent toward violence was a bit of a change over some other female characters that would be more inclined to vent their anger in a more calculated and psychological manner.  The suspense for me was waiting to see whom she would unload on next!  I went to bed when she visited her husband in the hospital.  Did the movie get better after that scene?

As for Clara's weight, I didn't think she looked all that chunky, but seeing some other posts here, I think a good subtitle might be....Call Her Savage (but don't call her late for dinner)?

one can surely notice this development in 'call her savage'.

albeit, i personally did not mind at all.

Clara tended to have a voluptuous figure,.and I definitely didn't mean to imply that she was overweight in CHS; in fact, I think she looks great here. It was after she stopped filming that she let herself go.

Sure, if he'd tried to make a citizen's arrest of Blondell for talking back to the recess monitor.

"Young lady, you probably think you're the bee's knees, the cat's pajamas, the absolute berries, going out spooning, guzzling panther sweat and putting on the ritz. Well everything's not jake Jane, let me give you the headline."

"Give me the scoop, flatfoot."

"You're under arrest."

c2PLsPf.jpg

• Like 1

"Young lady, you probably think you're the bee's knees, the cat's pajamas, the absolute berries, going out spooning, guzzling panther sweat and putting on the ritz. Well everything's not jake Jane, let me give you the headline."

"Give me the scoop, flatfoot."

"You're under arrest."

c2PLsPf.jpg

Ah, the great Bill Elder.....

f032ad7b5f9a7ac1ada3ca02abbaf202.jpg

I saw most of this movie before I turned in (this morning).  Bow's character, Nasa, was a real space cadet!  She was violent toward many of the people she encountered in the film, repeatedly beating a guy with a whip, cracking a guitar over another guy's skull, and just for fun, grabbing a fistful of Thelma Todd's locks.  How anyone would want to hang around such a bi-polar chick like this is beyond me.  I understand the premise of the script, but the acting seemed to be way over the top.  Still, her physical bent toward violence was a bit of a change over some other female characters that would be more inclined to vent their anger in a more calculated and psychological manner.  The suspense for me was waiting to see whom she would unload on next!  I went to bed when she visited her husband in the hospital.  Did the movie get better after that scene?

As for Clara's weight, I didn't think she looked all that chunky, but seeing some other posts here, I think a good subtitle might be....Call Her Savage (but don't call her late for dinner)?

Yea,  I didn't like when she cracked that guitar other that guy's skull.   At least in Animal House John Belushi says 'sorry' after doing so!

Bow's character, Nasa, was a real space cadet!  She was violent toward many of the people she encountered in the film, repeatedly beating a guy with a whip, cracking a guitar over another guy's skull, and just for fun, grabbing a fistful of Thelma Todd's locks.  How anyone would want to hang around such a bi-polar chick like this is beyond me.  I understand the premise of the script, but the acting seemed to be way over the top. 

She was part "savage", because her real father was an American Indian. This is what was supposed to happen when you place a girl who looks "white" into a "white" culture, while she is actually genetically half "savage", i.e. half Indian.

Here at the end of the movie, she hears her mother call her mother’s former Indian lover by name, and she finally realizes that she is a “half-breed”, which she confirms in the last full line of the movie:

Clara Bow Call Her Savage Finale Part Two

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of, what was that today? Some perfectly awful films, directed by Jack, produced by Jack, the staccato dialogue seemingly overseen by Jack, and with, of course, Jack in all his Jack-ness.

Was he the Hedda Hopper of his milieu? Sexist, manly men testosteroney movies with ............. Jack. How did he get them into the theaters?

Wow. Too bad TCM didn't throw them off and put on the Van Beuren cartoons.

Speaking of, what was that today? Some perfectly awful films, directed by Jack, produced by Jack, the staccato dialogue seemingly overseen by Jack, and with, of course, Jack in all his Jack-ness.

Was he the Hedda Hopper of his milieu? Sexist, manly men testosteroney movies with ............. Jack. How did he get them into the theaters?

Wow. Too bad TCM didn't throw them off and put on the Van Beuren cartoons.

You're knockin' THE D.I.? Clint Eastwood's inspiration for Heartbreak Ridge? is The D.I. a great film?...YES SIR! ! ! :D

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings