Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

News: Classic film actress dies at age 139

TopBilled

Yes, you read it here first folks. :)

Jeanne Eagels, born in 1890 did not die until the year 2029.  At least that's what the TCM database says for the actress on her overview page/biography. It says that at the tender young age of 139, she died of a heroin overdose.

Check it out, if you don't believe me:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/person/903977%7C81129/Jeanne-Eagels/

I'm starting on heroin ASAP.  Who woulda thought.  Kudos to TCM as well for being ahead of time itself.  That is some crystal ball.

Yes, you read it here first folks. :)

Jeanne Eagels, born in 1890 did not die until the year 2029.  At least that's what the TCM database says for the actress on her overview page/biography. It says that at the tender young age of 139, she died of a heroin overdose.

Check it out, if you don't believe me:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/person/903977%7C81129/Jeanne-Eagels/

This is truly sad news...and to think, she had been so careful NOT to O.D. on the stuff in her previous 138 years of life!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What I want to know is how did she support herself all those years? Her last movie was back in 1929. LOL

What, TB?! Didn't you read her full bio in on that webpage or somethin'?

It SAID:

In the 1930s, Jeanne quit The Biz and started working as a car hop at the Sea View Diner in Malibu.

In 1940, she quit that job, moved to Seattle and started working at the Boeing Aircraft Plant building B-17s for the war effort.(google "Rosie the Riveter" for further details)

In '46, she moved back to Southern California and began selling real estate in the booming market there.

Tiring of that in the early 1950s, she got into the ground floor of the coonskin cap and hula hoop business, and then in '64-'65 that whole Beatlle wig thing.

In '69 and feeling she had sold out to "The Establishment", she lived for a short while at the Spahn Ranch along with Squeaky Fromme and the rest of Charlie's girls, but thankfully and in contrast to the rest living there, Jeanne believed in a policy of strict non-violence, and thus was not involved in any manner with that bit of unpleasantry.

By the mid-'70s, she was...ahem..."Stayin' Alive" as a professional Disco dancer at a club owned by Danny Terrio near the intersection of Wilshire and La Brea.

In the '80s, she worked as a seamstress adding shoulder pads to women's power suits, and when that whole Joan Crawford look made an unexpected return into the fashion world.

In the '90s, it was back up to Seattle for Jeanne, and to a job as Bill Gates' personal assistant.

Tiring this time of all that rain, rain, rain up that-a-way, she moved back to SoCal in 2010 and got involved in the growing drone business.

AND, in 2019 feeling she had finally socked away enough money into her Roth IRA, she retired to her small little ranchette in Ojai California, and where she would live comfortably until her death in 2029 at age 139.

(...pretty interesting life overall, I'd say!)

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

What, TB?! Didn't you read her full bio in on that webpage or somethin'?

It SAID:

In the 1930s, Jeanne quit The Biz and started working as a car hop at the Sea View Diner in Malibu.

In 1940, she quit that job, moved to Seattle and started working at the Boeing Aircraft Plant building B-17s for the war effort.(google "Rosie the Riveter" for further details)

In '46, she moved back to Southern California and began selling real estate in the booming market there.

Tiring of that in the early 1950s, she got into the ground floor of the coonskin cap and hula hoop business, and then in '64-'65 that whole Beatlle wig thing.

In '69 and feeling she had sold out to "The Establishment", she lived for a short while at the Spahn Ranch along with Squeaky Fromme and the rest of Charlie's girls, but thankfully and in contrast to the rest living there, Jeanne believed in a policy of strict non-violence, and thus was not involved in any manner with that bit of unpleasantry.

By the mid-'70s, she was...ahem..."Stayin' Alive" as a professional Disco dancer at a club owned by Danny Terrio near the intersection of Wilshire and La Brea.

In the '80s, she worked as a seamstress adding shoulder pads to women's power suits, and when that whole Joan Crawford look made an unexpected return into the fashion world.

In the '90s, it was back up to Seattle for Jeanne, and to a job as Bill Gates' personal assistant.

Tiring this time of all that rain, rain, rain up that-a-way, she moved back to SoCal in 2010 and got involved in the growing drone business.

AND, in 2019 feeling she had finally socked away enough money into her Roth IRA, she retired to her small little ranchette in Ojai California, and where she would live comfortably until her death in 2029 at age 139.

(...pretty interesting life overall, I'd say!)

If this kind of West Coast living can add that many years to one's life....well, sign me up!

If this kind of West Coast living can add that many years to one's life....well, sign me up!

Well midwestan my friend, then I suppose the question would be: How much have YOU socked away into YOUR Roth IRA plan, HUH?!

'Cause that's a long long time to live on just Social Security alone, ya know! ;)

And disregarding the fact that with California housing prices such as they are, it IS a rather expensive state in which to reside, and with that beautiful little valley of Ojai just outside Santa Barbara being a particularly pricey area.

(...but then again I suppose there IS always BARSTOW!!!) LOL

Well midwestan my friend, then I suppose the question would be: How much have YOU socked away into YOUR Roth IRA plan, HUH?!

'Cause that's a long long time to live on just Social Security alone, ya know! ;)

And disregarding the fact that with California housing prices such as they are, it IS a rather expensive state in which to reside, and with that beautiful little valley of Ojai just outside Santa Barbara being a particularly pricey area.

(...but then again I suppose there IS always BARSTOW!!!) LOL

I'll take Baker over Barstow any day (yeesh)!  Fortunately, I've got a good pension plan through my employer, and I never made enough expendable income for something as lavish as an IRA!  My retirement window looks like 3-5 years depending on circumstances.  I need a new lid for my house, and if I get a good re-financing deal from my friendly neighborhood bank, I could burn my mortgage in 4 years.

Living on either the Atlantic or Pacific coasts is a pricey proposition.  Having lived in New Hampshire for a time, I can relate.  Many people scram from the northern climes due to rough winters, but where I'm at isn't too bad.  The ones that stick around do so for the change of seasons, and this time of year can be particularly pleasing to the eyes, even though people look at the Plains and Midwest as "topographically boring"!

I remember reading your original post. It's amazing that all these years later it hasn't been corrected!

I owned a Hollywood film star book years ago (in the 1980's) and it said John Mills had died in 1982. This was a published book!

1 minute ago, sagebrush said:

I remember reading your original post. It's amazing that all these years later it hasn't been corrected!

I know. It's unbelievable. We will reach 2029 and it still won't be corrected.

People in 2049 will stumble across it and think she actually did live to 139!

screen

• Haha 2

Not at all surprising.  I doubt the "DB" maintainers ever review these bios of old actors, especially ones that have been gone for nearly 100 years.  There'd be no reason for them to, unless someone contacted them to point out errors.

As most of the people associated with films TCM shows are gone, after their initial entries are done, they'll just sit there unmodified - there's no new films or bio data to update.

The only chance it'll ever get corrected is if someone contacts them to inform them of the error.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

AFI data.  Doubt they read these posts.  I've said it before, I'll say it again.

Are the star bios supplied by the AFI? I thought the AFI was just providing detailed information on the films.

Someone else may input the bios and be responsible for that info.

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Are the star bios supplied by the AFI? I thought the AFI was just providing detailed information on the films.

Someone else may input the bios and be responsible for that info.

If AFI maintains a database of bios, I can't find it on their website.  Their AFI Catalog concentrates on films and film descriptions, and has cast lists.  When you click on an actor, it just brings up a list of (not always complete) films.  No dates of birth or death.

They may have a separate database or section accessible only by AFI members, or a private database, but I don't see a public-facing database with actor bios (other than the film list, mentioned above).

5 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

If AFI maintains a database of bios, I can't find it on their website.  Their AFI Catalog concentrates on films and film descriptions, and has cast lists.  When you click on an actor, it just brings up a list of (not always complete) films.  No dates of birth or death.

They may have a separate database or section accessible only by AFI members, or a private database, but I don't see a public-facing database with actor bios (other than the film list, mentioned above).

Yes, that is what I thought. I think the star bios are often written by fans (maybe relatives or professional biographers in some instances). 

Whoever wrote the one for Jeanne Eagels obviously made a typo re: her year of death.

Seems like it should be an easy fix for someone who has the authorization to go on there and make a quick edit.

1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

On the TCM site the "TCMDB" info just says "provided by AFI".  That has been with the older site too.  A subscription?  Likely.  Different tables?  Likely.  It is not my work.  I'm just saying it is least likely that anyone at TCM or any of their different parent companies over the years has ever had anything to do with it.  Could just be an older orphaned copy of AFI info, or it could be current.

The info from IMDB back in 2017 did that too.  (That was the last time I refreshed the IMDB info files for my project before they changed their format, but more significantly, deprecated several types of listings that my work relies upon.)  The actors/actresses info from IMDB had some of the same issues to the point that I abandoned any work on actor/actress tables of my own for this very reason.  It appeared to be the least significant part of their updates, not really obvious until you get a big listing of the data and calculate their ages in a table.  Only then do you start to see some 122  and 137 year old actors/actresses.  So I wouldn't be surprised the least if the AFI info has the same issue.  Basically the data wasn't intended to be displayed this way.

P.S. I've always used IMDB over anything else, even integrating it into the search function of my browser using FIrefox add-ons.

Edited by MovieCollectorOH
Edited for additional thoughts

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings