Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Two By Rhomer Tomorrow

slaytonf

Among the directors of the French New Wave, Eric Rhomer's work is the most introspective and meditative.  His films have little plot, and his characters engage in extended dialogs espousing personal philosophies, emotional states, moral scenarios, and acute insights of singular observations.   Not what you would expect from a Hollywood film, but exactly what is thought of as a 'foreign' film.  Slow pace, talky, psychologically oriented.  Yawn.

Except.  Except, his films have an attraction, they hook you, like his characters are hooked by their peculiar preoccupations.  And tomorrow we have one of his best, and best known examples:  Claire's Knee.  He uses a man's obsession with a young girl's knee as a pretext to explore themes of morality, sexuality, disillusion, and disappointment.

Suzannes' Career, I have not seen, so I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Rohmer is one of my favorite directors, but I wish TCM could show his six Comedies and Proverbs and his four Tales of the Four Seasons Claire's Knee and the other films from his Six Moral Tales are a lot easier to come by than the ones in those two later series.  OTOH since he's been so completely neglected by TCM up to now, getting to see almost any of Rohmer's movies should be considered a bonus.  He's not for everyone, especially if your taste in movies runs mostly to  special effects and / or lots of gunfire, but if you're a fan of the "slice of life" movies, there aren't any better directors in that particular genre. 

Thanks of the reminder! I forgot, and I've been wanting to record them. I think my favorite Rohmer film is A Summer's Tale, in the four seasons series (as opposed to Le Rayon Vert, which is sometimes called Summer.  Another favorite: The Marquise of O.

Thanks of the reminder! I forgot, and I've been wanting to record them. I think my favorite Rohmer film is A Summer's Tale, in the four seasons series (as opposed to Le Rayon Vert, which is sometimes called Summer.  Another favorite: Le Marquise of O.

Those are both terrific, but if I had to choose my favorite Rohmers, they'd probably be Boyfriends and Girlfriends, and even more, Four Adventures of Reinette and Mirabelle and A Tale of Autumn

You know an American star who could have played in almost any of Rohmer's movies?  Audrey Hepburn, at almost any stage of her career, but particularly when she was still in her twenties.  There's a spontaneity and directness in many of Rohmer's female characters that's very reminiscent of Audrey, and it's one reason I'm drawn to his films like a moth to a flame.

I love all the "Seasons" films. I don't recall having seen Boyfriends and Girlfriends. I think the most recent Rohmer film I've seen is the fascinating The Lady and the Duke, which takes place during the French Revolution and is based on the memoirs of Grace Elliott, who was famously painted by Gainsborough.

Gainsborough_-_Grace_Dalrymple_Elliott.j

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings