Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
allycat1920

Star of THe Month

I know there is already a thread about this subject but I didn't want to search or it. Anyway I would really like to see Ginger Rogers as star of the month. I have loved most of her movies and enjoyed at least her performance in all the movies (even the bad ones) I have seen her in. With all the Rogers movies that have been played on TCM I am sure she probably was Star of the Month before I got TCM but I would still love to see it.

I agree....With her being the Star of the Month, I would like a mixture of movies shown and not just the Fred and Ginger ones. I am a huge fan of the Fred and Ginger movies, but there are so many more that show her versatility as an actress! I love "Black Widow," and the scene where she kills the young girl, it is great and you are actually cheering for her because I couldn't stand that girl- or at least I was!

~Tabitha

She's so hilarious in Bachelor Mother, Tom Dick and Harry, and The Major and the Minor, too. I find her somewhat uneven in dramatic roles, but she can be a fine actress--even in moments within the musicals. In fact, I might even say especially in moments within the musicals.

I completely agree about the Bachelor Mother, she was so good in that role. Its what makes the movie so good. I really like that movie and really she is the reason why. I unfortunately haven't seen the other two yet but I want to.

I agree about Bachelor Mother. She is great in it! I showed it to my sister, who never really liked her, and now she loves her and is progressing towards the love of old classics more and more!

Tabitha

The one movie actress I HAVE seen is the great Ginger. She was playing in a dinner theatre in Edmonton, Alberta about 25 years ago, playing in Charlie's Aunt (as the 'real' aunt)- I would love to see the movie version of that, btw - and she was wonderul - and still beautiful. I would love to see more of her movies, such as some you've mentioned - I have taped The Primrose Path and am waiting to watch that. The murder one mentioned here sounds divine! A month devoted to her would be wonderful!

Ginger Rogers was good in every movie she appeared in.... she never gave a bad performance.... in musicals, comedies, and drama....she was one the the best....

It 'looks' to me as if Robert Montgomery is the star of the month in January. I know TCM plays his movies quite frequently but there are tons in Jan. which I'm glad of cuz I sure love this talented actor. I thought I liked Elizabeth, which I certainly did, but once I discovered her father - - - - - look out! lol

Hi Everyone,

The star this month is Joan Fontaine.

I watched the beginning of "Gunga Din" this morning and she sure was a sweet tiny young thing and she looked good with Douglas Fairbanks, Jr......

I've seen her in "Ivanhoe", where she provided the blonde counter to Elizabeth Taylor's raven haired tresses. And, I've seen her in "Rebecca" and "Suspicion" and "Jane Eyre" too.

Too bad we can't get to see her in "The Constant Nymph", her favourite film.

I'd also like to see her in "Island in the Sun" and "Serenade" and "Ivy" where she plays the villainess.

I wonder if she watches TCM and will she be reviewing her career this month??

Larry

Too bad TCM wasn't able to get a hold of her best films. I think the tribute is somewhat lacking, don't you?

I mean without Jane Eyre, Frenchman's Creek, The Affairs of Susan, Letter from an Unknown Woman (her greatest, IMO), Something to Live For and Ivy, what's left are mediocre at best--including the B-films. She had exactly five seconds of screen time in No More Ladies which began the tribute.

They've shown Rebecca and Suspicion over and over again.

On the bright side, at least even the minor films show that Joan Fontaine was certainly lovely in her prime.

Neil

Hi,

Last night, I watched "Born to be Bad" and I thought Joan Fontaine did an excellent job of playing the 'sugar-sweet, dyed-in-the-wool ****'.. You just wanted to strangle her.......

And, Zachary Scott did a good job of acting at the end with Joan Leslie.

Not a bad movie!!

Larry

Back to the Joan Fontaine as star of the month....(which I am loving since she is one of my favorites...)

someone mentioned having seen Something to Live For. Whoever has seen this, can they tell me where they saw it? You usually hear of her films that are very rare, such as The Constant Nymph, The Affairs of Susan, This Above All, etc. but this one I rarely rarely hear of. I acutally forgot about it until someone mentioned it. This one, along with From This Day Forward, I would really like to see. If anyone has seen these two, can you give me some more info on them? Thanks!

Haha, sorry about that. I thought that vecchiolarry had the FIRST post and not the most recent one....I thought this subject was originally on Joan Fontaine but it's not. My bad.

Kimbo,

This thread is on "The Star of the Month" who happens to be Joan Fontaine in November.

Although I cannot help you with your movie questions, you are perfectly within your rights to ask them here as Fontaine is the current subject.

Good luck....

Larry

I believe Bette Davis was Star of the Month a few times, however she may be selected for a whole day on TCMs Summer Under the Stars in August.

As mentioned in earlier posts, I think Ginger Rogers should be chosen as Star of the Month. Besides her films with Fred Astaire that were so legendary, there are so many others in which Ginger shines, like "The Major and the Minor", "Vivacious Lady", and "Monkey Business" to name a few that I've seen. There are others like "Bachelor Mother" that I have heard are really good. Anyways, since the Astaire and Rogers DVD set is supposedly coming out in August, it would be only fitting if Ginger had her own month or shared it with Fred in some way.

I would love to see Ray Milland and Fredric March get their own Stars of the Month. I know I've mentioned this in previous posts and they deserve to be recognized for the great films that they both made.

We also need to see a month devoted to some other actresses as well, like Claudette Colbert. I'm not sure if she has had her month in the past, but it would be great if some of her films were shown. Or how about Olivia De Haviland and Lauren Bacall?

:) Donna

"There goes the only protege I ever had."

-Joel Sloane-Fast and Loose

"Those innocent little panzer divisions. In sheep's clothing."

-Susan Applegate-The Major and the Minor

"Too bad there aren't any outfielders in my class."

-Professor Vernon Simpson-It Happens Every Spring

"That was the second floor."

-Wallace Wooley-I Married a Witch

Just had an idea for a good one...the Barrymores. This would include John, Lionel, Ethel, John Jr., Diana, maybe Drew, and others I may have forgotten.

And maybe someday, the Fondas, Henry, Jane, and Peter.