Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Metropolitan, Barcelona, and Whit Stillman

Swithin

I like the films of Whit Stillman very much.  Metropolitan is one of my favorites. Very New York-y, with a resemblance to some of Woody Allen's work. I was happy to see the TCM premiere tonight (actually I recorded it). And Barcelona, which I've never seen, is  on right now. I'm recording that as well. Both films in glorious TCM HD. And both introduced by RO and Whit Stillman. 

That's my favorite kind of TCM screening: a film I haven't seen in ages, introduced by the director. We can't always have that with the older films, and we may not want the newer films even if the director is available, but I'm glad that Mr. Stillman is very much with us. Btw my favorite of his films is the very moving Last Days of Disco. I remember seeing that film after dining in the Old Town Bar on 18th Street in Manhattan. Then we saw the film, and there was the Old Town Bar in the movie! 

• Like 1

In many ways, Metropolitan is an update of Edith Wharton, who wrote about the same social class in New York.

I loved the scene where one of the characters complains that The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie did not actually show the charm of that class, which Whit Stillman does, among other things.

• Like 1

Have you ever seen the 1990 Jon Jost movie "ALL THE VERMEERS IN NEW YORK"?  If not, you might like it.   

I have not seen, nor heard of that film, but look forward to seeing it. Many film artists have focused on Vermeer -- including Peter Greenway.  A Zed and Two Noughts is my favorite of his films, and has Vermeer connections.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings