Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Intelligent writing is not dead

slaytonf

Or at least is wasn't in the early 1990's.  Two movies tonight, Metropolitan, and Barcelona, featured sophisticated dialog that didn't talk down to its audience.  Witty, subtle, clever, it expected people capable of following along.  Although I didn't like how Mr. Stillman resolved the plots of the two movies, it was entertaining simply to listen to the conversations.  One never feels entirely sure about his characters, where they are coming from, or what their motivations are.  Their actions are so variously interpreted by others in the movie, an equivocal tone is cast over them.

• Like 1

Or at least is wasn't in the early 1990's.  Two movies tonight, Metropolitan, and Barcelona, featured sophisticated dialog that didn't talk down to its audience.  Witty, subtle, clever, it expected people capable of following along.  Although I didn't like how Mr. Stillman resolved the plots of the two movies, it was entertaining simply to listen to the conversations.  One never feels entirely sure about his characters, where they are coming from, or what their motivations are.  Their actions are so variously interpreted by others in the movie, an equivocal tone is cast over them.

I'm sorry but I watched parts of both movies and did not like either one.  I did not think the neurotic dialog and characters interesting at all and I wanted to.  I could not finish either movie.

I'm sorry but I watched parts of both movies and did not like either one.  I did not think the neurotic dialog and characters interesting at all and I wanted to.  I could not finish either movie.

I would not say they were neurotic.  They were talky, hyper-analytical, intellectual, self-involved, maybe even pretentious, overbearing, and judgmental.  But I would not say they were neurotic. I agree there was not a great amount to like in the characters, but, as I said, it was entertaining to listen to the dialog.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings