Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hearts of the West -- Tonight!

Mac_the_Nice

Jeff Bridges, Blythe Danner, Alan Arkin, Andy Griffiths -- how this movie can have garnered no more than 6.4 stars at IMDb is beyond comprehension. It's a movie about movies and the people who made them in the Golden Era of the early talking pictures, Westerns in particular. I see that it's a favorite of the prize winning novelist who wrote "The Moviegoer", Walker Percy.

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/3611/Hearts-of-the-West/user-reviews.html

Well, I'm not surprised. Just pleased to know it. RT gives it 80%, which is a little closer to what ought to be the 100% I give as one of my most favorite pictures of all time. Sure it's a light-hearted farce, almost slap-stick, but artfully so, and it cuts to the quick into the manner of skulduggery that certainly still goes on in Hollywood.

I couldn't put it better than "StellaRondo" at IMDb has it: "This film is pure and timeless gold, as out of character with its time as it is with present times. Jeff Bridges, Alan Arkin, Blythe Danner and Andy Griffith are perfectly cast in a comedy that spoofs both American innocence and American cynicism about that innocence. If "The Great Gatsby" is a classic story of the American Dream gone wrong, "Hearts of the West" is a classic rendering of the American Dream gone right in spite of itself."

• Like 1

It is a dandy of a film, very enjoyable and warm-hearted. It is one of the best films of 1975.

Simply loved seeing it again tonight. Maybe even more than the first time. I was in L.A. while they were filming this, and one day on the bus headed to downtown Hollywood from my little bungalow in Echo Park, somewhere before the point where Sunset merges with Hollywood Boulevard, I noticed a movie crew at work on the north side of the street, and the most striking thing about the site of this shoot was that huge sort of billboard image of Greta Garbo beside the door of the "Rio Cafe" which had never been there before--neither the "Rio" nor the Garbo. I didn't see Hearts of the West first run, so it would be around 4 years later, at some little theater for film buffs on Western Avenue, when I finally got to see on the screen that scene they were getting ready to shoot. Boy, did that ever sit me up in my seat, nudging my baby to say, "Hey! I saw them on location the day they were shooting that!"

• Like 2

Watched it a while back (probably on TCM) and had never seen it before.  Immediately ordered the DVD.  It is a great movie.  Every time I see a movie made in the 30's, especially westerns, I think of Hearts and how they would have made the movie.  Great movie, should be at least a 9/10.

Watched it a while back (probably on TCM) and had never seen it before.  Immediately ordered the DVD.  It is a great movie.  Every time I see a movie made in the 30's, especially westerns, I think of Hearts and how they would have made the movie.  Great movie, should be at least a 9/10.

I was reading but decided to turn the T.V. on and went to TCM and saw this movie.   I'm glad I did.   It kept me entertained and while it was silly it was well made and heart warming.

• Like 1

That opening sequence,  the B-movie Western black & white screen test of Jeff Bridges attired and made up like Tom Mix, is so exquisitely shot--why! If there was a Louvre of cinematic art, that would be the Mona Lisa of it. The musical score, strictly of the period is perfect, the thirties dialect right on the money. Yup! I'll order that DVD, too. Any special features on it? Probably not. And btw, Jeff Bridges could not have more perfectly nabbed the over-the-top, endearingly naive character he played. As Walker Percy suggests, it would indeed be grand to hear him share some memories of his time working on Hearts of the West.

• Like 2

That opening sequence,  the B-movie Western black & white screen test of Jeff Bridges attired and made up like Tom Mix, is so exquisitely shot--why! If there was a Louvre of cinematic art, that would be the Mona Lisa of it. The musical score, strictly of the period is perfect, the thirties dialect right on the money. Yup! I'll order that DVD, too. Any special features on it? Probably not. And btw, Jeff Bridges could not have more perfectly nabbed the over-the-top, endearingly naive character he played. As Walker Percy suggests, it would indeed be grand to hear him share some memories of his time working on Hearts of the West.

It's a WB Archive Collection DVD and I got mine from CCVideo.  Nothing on the disc except the movie and the trailer.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings